PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Bob3
Bob3

sound problems in lucid Empty sound problems in lucid

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:21 pm
There seems to always be issues with sound problems; currently we've been getting sound that's sort of "stuck" in a repeating loop of just a couple-few notes, sorta like a "wah wah" that's been stuck in a loop.
Seems to happen with just about any sound file accompanying a youtube or similar streaming sound/video. Suspect

Anybody care to venture guesses at solutions? This is on a plain vanilla kubuntu lucid install - something I may or may not wind up keeping, depending on how soon my plane leaves...
old tech
old tech

sound problems in lucid Empty Re: sound problems in lucid

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:15 pm
Bob....What kind of sound card do you have?
Bob3
Bob3

sound problems in lucid Empty sound card

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:41 pm
old tech wrote:Bob....What kind of sound card do you have?
A trip to the "Sysinfo" program says the "Multimedia audio controller" is Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Dell Device 01da

It's the motherboard's onboard sound for a Dell Optiplex 745 desktop computer, Pentium D 3.4GHz & 2MB RAM.

kubuntu 10.04 (lucid) with 2.6.32-25 generic kernel
old tech
old tech

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:26 pm
Did you check to see if Dell or Intel has a updated driver?
I had that problem sometime back and a newer driver fixed it.
I use a Turtle Beach Riviera sound card.It has Win drivers and Linux drivers. All my Linux OS's picked it up with no problems. Also it is cheap. I have two extra ones. I think I got them for $15.00 and they are current in their line.
Bob3
Bob3

sound problems in lucid Empty drivers, etc.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:11 am
The updates are all current, plus the sound system is generally known to "work out of the box".

I suspect an update, possibly Flash, might have had some head-butting issues with some other A/V app in the machine.
Slapping an extra sound card into the thing would be OK but I'll try thinning down the possible apps that might have mischief written in them.
Bob3
Bob3

sound problems in lucid Empty On another note, about HD cloning...

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:57 pm
What sort of app are folks using to make either a whole hard drive backup or to clone a "small" (80GB) hard drive? scratch

I got spoiled by my hard drive duplicator, plus it's back in CA & I'm in WI needing to clone a laptop hard drive. Rolling Eyes
old tech
old tech

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:49 pm
This might be dumb but I copy all of windows to a different hard drive. How you say, knowing that Windows won't let you copy itself while running. I boot to Klikit and copy Windows from one drive to another. It takes a while. Klikit copies files faster than Windows.
When something goes wrong in Windows that you can't repair I boot to Klikit and rename the Windows directories to 1Windows 1program Files 1 documents and setting.
Then I go to the drive with the backup and copy each one to the main drive. Takes a while.
Feature is I can at any time copy from the backup drive to the main drive as long as it isn't a system file being used.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:28 pm
old tech wrote:Did you check to see if Dell or Intel has a updated driver?
I had that problem sometime back and a newer driver fixed it.
I use a Turtle Beach Riviera sound card.It has Win drivers and Linux drivers. All my Linux OS's picked it up with no problems. Also it is cheap. I have two extra ones. I think I got them for $15.00 and they are current in their line.

Out of curiosity r those usb? I been wanting to get one of those: for an idea I have in future release.

Ray
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:29 pm
Bob3 wrote:The updates are all current, plus the sound system is generally known to "work out of the box".

I suspect an update, possibly Flash, might have had some head-butting issues with some other A/V app in the machine.
Slapping an extra sound card into the thing would be OK but I'll try thinning down the possible apps that might have mischief written in them.

The dells need custom patching: I had to customize PhoenixOS for your dells as stock kubuntu drivers did not work properly.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:29 pm
Bob3 wrote:What sort of app are folks using to make either a whole hard drive backup or to clone a "small" (80GB) hard drive? scratch

I got spoiled by my hard drive duplicator, plus it's back in CA & I'm in WI needing to clone a laptop hard drive. Rolling Eyes

Best program I ever used was clonezilla works great!

Ray What a Face
Bob3
Bob3

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:01 pm
Admin wrote:
Bob3 wrote:What sort of app are folks using to make either a whole hard drive backup or to clone a "small" (80GB) hard drive? scratch

Ray What a Face
I just happened to be at the clonezilla/sourceforge download site, trying to figure out which of the gazillion versions I wanted to download. (i486?) scratch
I'm running plain kubuntu lucid right now but will be cloning a phoenix karmic (netbook) install later on.
Got any suggestions? I'm a little toasted right now, had another long session at the dentist earlier... Sleep

The dells need custom patching
Oh geeze, got any suggestions on that one? I'm [still] running plain karmic on that install *right now*, might be bailing to catch a plane in a week.
zzzzzzt!!! Shocked
Got a registered win4lin install on it that I don't wanna have to go calling Redmond to get the numbers reactivated...
old tech
old tech

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:13 pm
Ray....No their PCI
JohnP
JohnP

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:15 pm
Admin wrote:

Ray What a Face

Bob3 - I agree with Ray! I was able to clone a smaller drive to the drive I was installing! And it even expanded to 'fill' the new drive.
It has the ability to either clone an image or clone drive to drive. It's fast and lean. Nice thing is that if you save the old drive, and you mess up the copy, you can start all over again.
I have several PATA/SATA to USB adapters for just that function, works great.
Just take you're time and read each instruction and you'll be fine!! Very Happy JohnP
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:05 am
JohnP wrote:
Admin wrote:

Ray What a Face

Bob3 - I agree with Ray! I was able to clone a smaller drive to the drive I was installing! And it even expanded to 'fill' the new drive.
It has the ability to either clone an image or clone drive to drive. It's fast and lean. Nice thing is that if you save the old drive, and you mess up the copy, you can start all over again.
I have several PATA/SATA to USB adapters for just that function, works great.
Just take you're time and read each instruction and you'll be fine!! Very Happy JohnP

I didnt know about the expand feature Smile How does that work, see when I used it, it cloned the old drive and even though the new drive was bigger it left the extra space unpartitioned so I just partitioned it and used it for storage.

Ray
JohnP
JohnP

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:04 pm
Admin wrote:

I didnt know about the expand feature Smile How does that work, see when I used it, it cloned the old drive and even though the new drive was bigger it left the extra space unpartitioned so I just partitioned it and used it for storage.

Ray

Hi Ray,
It's been a while so I have to try and remember.. That's chancy at best... Rolling Eyes
As I remember, it was an option doing a drive to drive copy. And since it XP I'll bet it formatted FAT rather than NTFS.
It was a laptop and I think I was going from a 20 Gig drive to a 40 Gig drive using a PATA to USB adapter. Once done I swapped the drives and kept on going. It may be that in that particular session, it was 'doable' to fill out the drive partition and the option was available.
After that I was more backing up drive images than cloning. I'll have to try it again to see if that option pops up..
Smile John
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum