PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current OS???

+13
PGTips91
bobd13045
jpisini
jacek
Whereismyid
JohnP
ftinius
RevJack
JNibski
newyorkpaulie
Admin
PaulS
hqlinux
17 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Current OS??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Current OS???

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:35 pm
hqlinux wrote:
jpisini wrote:I tried the new Kanotix it is pretty nice. Especially if you still prefer KDE3.

Did you try the 32 bit or the 64 bit??? I am debating on which one to download...

Harvey

I always go with 32 bit versions; because there is not enough of a difference to warrant switching to 64 bit: especially when you have to wait so long for 64 bit versions of products like Flash player for example.

Ray Very Happy
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:03 pm
I had been using 64 bit but I ran into issues with things like Citrix not installing and figured it wasn't worth the slight increase in speed over compatibility. This isn't a Kanotix issue I have seen this with other 64 bit versions of Linux as well.
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:52 pm
Well I reinstalled Kanotix and pinned the alsa packages and that let me keep sound working so far. I am using the KDE 3.5 version so right now while I can’t get Phoenix to work I do have an alternative that does work well. I had been using Mandriva but their recent problems made me step back I am tired of getting behind a commercial distro and watching them tank. Kanotix will work for now and maybe I can use the next version of Phoenix.
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:16 pm
jpisini wrote:I am tired of getting behind a commercial distro and watching them tank.

Hmmmm.... Linspire & Xandros comes to mind... right off the bat... Smile Wink

Harvey
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:16 am
hqlinux wrote:

Hmmmm.... Linspire & Xandros comes to mind... right off the bat... Smile Wink

Harvey

Don't forget Corel, Storm, Redmond to name a few others. Shocked
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 am
jpisini wrote:

Don't forget Corel, Storm, Redmond to name a few others. Shocked

I never really got involved with any of the above distros. Xandros purchased the Corel Linux source code and development team when Corel scrapped its Linux business in August 2001. However, the Corel Corporation is a stockholder of Xandros.

And when you make a deal with the Devil... you gets what ya gets...

http://www.forbes.com/2000/10/03/1003corel.html

Management & Trends
Corel Sells Out To Microsoft
Lisa DiCarlo, 10.03.00, 12:18 PM ET

It isn't quite as strange as Microsoft 's investment in Apple Computer several years ago, but it ranks right up there.

Last night, Corel (nasdaq: CORL - news - people) and Microsoft (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people) announced a joint-development and marketing alliance, which includes a $135 million Microsoft investment in Corel. The companies said that Corel would develop and market applications for Microsoft's sprawling .Net initiative, which is based on Windows technologies.

While the investment is paltry by Microsoft standards, the implications are huge. For starters, what becomes of Corel's Linux plans? Corel has poured considerable resources into its Corel Linux operating system and porting its business and graphics applications to Linux. The company has positioned its Linux efforts as the linchpin of its comeback strategy, but there was no mention of Linux on the conference call Monday.

Although it now owns about 24 million Corel shares, Microsoft has no official control over the company. It has no voting rights, no board seats and will have no role in management. But with 320 fewer employees--Corel laid them off this summer to cut overhead--and a consolidation of engineers from Dublin to Canada, Corel might not have enough resources to devote its energies to both Linux and .Net development.

With Microsoft providing some of the bankroll, which avenue will Corel choose?

Secondly, the deal likely vaporizes whatever competition is left in the business applications market. Microsoft has the dominant market share of Office suites, with Corel and Lotus trailing in the single digits. The Microsoft-Corel deal could open a window for Sun Microsystems (nasdaq: SUNW - news - people) to create momentum for its Star Office suite, which is available as a free download on its Web site.

Microsoft and Corel have been fierce competitors since the latter bought the WordPerfect Office suite of applications from Novell (nasdaq: NOVL - news - people) in 1997. Corel's profit margins suffered when it undercut Microsoft software prices in a bid to gain market share. It hitched its wagon to Java office suites and then dropped development. Then it got into the hardware business by building network computers. But that didn't last long either.

Corel's stock soared last year when it got into the Linux market. Then it dropped like a rock when Corel couldn't figure out how to make money with Linux. Several Corel senior executives quit while the company laid off more than 20% of its employees and quickly burned through $25 million from a Canadian investment group. The biggest shoe finally dropped in midsummer with the resignation of founder and Chief Executive Michael Cowpland .

Investors like this deal, however, sending Corel's stock up 53% to about $5 in late morning trading Tuesday.

There has been rabid speculation since last year that Corel would be taken over by another software company, perhaps a Linux concern. After all, Corel's Linux OS has garnered positive reviews, and its distribution channel is broader than that of most Linux companies.

It's impossible to know what went on behind the scenes. Perhaps moneylosing Linux companies didn't see the benefit in buying another moneylosing company.

One thing is clear. Linux stands to become the latest in a string of abandoned revival strategies for Corel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhhhhhhh........

What a tangled web that is weaved... Shocked

Harvey
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:36 pm
Unfortuanely I used them all and lets not forget Caldera later renamed SCO. I loved their distro before they went bat crap insane.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:42 pm
jpisini wrote:Unfortuanely I used them all and lets not forget Caldera later renamed SCO. I loved their distro before they went bat crap insane.

Good ole Digital Research DR DOS then Geoworks Ensemble hehehe, memories!

Ray alien
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum