Hawk Netbook Release

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

test drive

Post  Admin on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:23 pm

StanTheMan wrote:This morning I downloaded the netbook ISO with no problem. No idea why it would not load in previous couple of days.
Install went smoothly. Using ' ext4 ' and grub2 bootloader. KDE desktop loads fast. I also have set up a second User account with no trouble. Partition usage is 3.6 GB total after first install.
Haven.t used KDE 3.5 for a while , but several features I had forgotten about.

Yeah KDE 3.5 has so many features; that are lacking in KDE 4 that I hope next version update of KDE will fix. Thats the main reason for us keeping KDE 3.5.
Glad everything went smooth for you.

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Hawk Mini Problems

Post  Ray on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:09 am

I have just installed the Hawk Mini as a virtual machine using Parallels 4.

Install went ok, I entered a User Name, Password, Password required at login.

The problems started when I rebooted - No Login Process - straight to desktop. Figured that this might be due to it being an initial boot so I shutdown and restarted.

No Login Screen - booted straight to desktop

Attempted to install the Parallels Tools which require Root Access - no root access anywhere (that I could find anyway)

Logged out - Login prompt showed only the dreaded Bob. User Name and password entered during install nowhere to be found.

As per the old Lindows/Linspire days there MUST be ROOT access easily accessed.

Response time seems reasonable but without the VM tools, mouse, keyboard and display will be slower than they should be.

Ray
Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hawk Mini Problems

Post  Ray on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Using klikit I figured out how to install the Parallels Tools which made a difference, however during this process I noticed that the konsole finished up in the /home/jennifer directory although the User Name is Bob. Just not sure that it's worth continueing with any further checking.

Ray
Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hawk Netbook Release

Post  Ray on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 pm

StanTheMan wrote:This morning I downloaded the netbook ISO with no problem. No idea why it would not load in previous couple of days.
Install went smoothly. Using ' ext4 ' and grub2 bootloader. KDE desktop loads fast. I also have set up a second User account with no trouble. Partition usage is 3.6 GB total after first install.
Haven.t used KDE 3.5 for a while , but several features I had forgotten about.
Stan,

Didn't you have the problems that I had with the Bob account being the only account, no /home/bob only /home/jennifer and /home/gingermac.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)
Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Excellent news, I recently tried 4.3.4 and the 4.4 beta and I am still not ready to give up KDE 3.5 so I am glad this one is not upgraded yet.
jpisini
Admin

View user profile http://cafecomputer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  StanTheMan on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:59 pm

I had no problem mixingtedisplay ueerrnae and e/home/ accunt nname.
However , to simplify my layout , I have now created a new User account of my own and set it with 'Admin' privileges, and now I have deleted the other user accounts.
I am carrying on with just my own User account with n problems, and it automatically can use the ' sudo ' command .

StanTheMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:37 pm

StanTheMan wrote:I had no problem mixingtedisplay ueerrnae and e/home/ accunt nname.
However , to simplify my layout , I have now created a new User account of my own and set it with 'Admin' privileges, and now I have deleted the other user accounts.
I am carrying on with just my own User account with n problems, and it automatically can use the ' sudo ' command .

Yup thats the easiest way to do it; next version should fix that problem so you won't have to do that added extra step. However; the way your doing it, your not loosing any functionality and you have FULL sudo control.

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

calculators started working...

Post  Bob3 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:18 pm

The little bug with the calculators not working were addressed in a recent package update, so all is well in the number crunching area.

I've got the netbook edition installed on a desktop with good performance & an install on an old T-23 Thinkpad is running fine.

Can't wait 'till the desktop version is done enough for a run!
Bob3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top