New Version of PhoenixOS

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Admin on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:12 pm

JohnP wrote:
Admin wrote:

Its like you said you get what you pay for. The Aishuo 8" Apad last 4-6 hours on a full charge, which is much better than other tablets, and definitely a step up from epad.
I agree atom based running android will fly! Very Happy

Ray What a Face

I'm getting on a tablet kick a little more now.... Rolling Eyes I see some of the tablet/notebooks are coming down in price. The one I'm looking at has a indoor/outdoor display, at least the specs or that model, not real sure about that particular one... Embarassed But It's pretty cheap and it is a convertible tablet with a core duo CPU. What I'm wondering is can Android support a digitizer screen? Not really holding my breath on that one. I think Linux in general does and that's what I'd like to try. At least it has a better run time that the tablets I have now! Razz JohnP

Send me a link and Ill check it for you. The Samsung unit we sell is cheap and packs quite a kick for a tablet!

Ray What a Face
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Admin wrote:

Send me a link and Ill check it for you. The Samsung unit we sell is cheap and packs quite a kick for a tablet!

Ray What a Face


Well I missed out on it, it was on Ebay and I got snipped at the last second. It was a Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 Dual Core Tablet PC. There are more on Ebay, Now I've got to decide if I want to try again and on what. At least it was a CoreDuo 2.0 Ghz.
I liked the idea of the transflective display and the horsepower to back it up. I'll just have to try again... Wink
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  jpisini on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 am

I have to say I am a bit disapointed in the latest run of tablets. HP's newest is starting at $500. That is crazy. I can buy a great laptop for that price why would I get a tablet. The whole point of the tablets was to give you something a bit better than a phone but still be affordable. Non of the new units are cheap and the ones that are have no info on them so you have no idea what you are getting.
avatar
jpisini
Admin

Posts : 392
Points : 436
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-02-04
Age : 48
Location : MA

View user profile http://cafecomputer.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:07 pm

jpisini wrote:I have to say I am a bit disapointed in the latest run of tablets. HP's newest is starting at $500. That is crazy. I can buy a great laptop for that price why would I get a tablet. The whole point of the tablets was to give you something a bit better than a phone but still be affordable. Non of the new units are cheap and the ones that are have no info on them so you have no idea what you are getting.

Hi jpisini,
My feeling is that this is a 'new' market segment. It'll take a while to get things figured out and for the dust to start settling. It looks to me that the tablets are getting more capable and getting better run times but I don't think we'll see 'all day' devices for a while yet. The ones Ray is selling sound pretty decent at a reasonable price. My problem is I just don't have the cash flow I used to since my leg went bad and I have to look for deals I can fall into. So, like you, I sit here and lament the cost of the devices.
But here lately, I'm starting to consider them as laptops (or netbooks) without keyboards. I'm seeing 12 inch convertible laptop/tablets going for reasonable prices on eBay. The Fujitsu I was looking at even had a indoor/outdoor display with a core duo processor. But, it was gone before I could react! Damn Snipers.... Embarassed
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Admin on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:14 am

jpisini wrote:I have to say I am a bit disapointed in the latest run of tablets. HP's newest is starting at $500. That is crazy. I can buy a great laptop for that price why would I get a tablet. The whole point of the tablets was to give you something a bit better than a phone but still be affordable. Non of the new units are cheap and the ones that are have no info on them so you have no idea what you are getting.

It all depends on where you look. We sell one here for 269.99 new that has all the power of the Samsung Galaxy in an 8" tablet. Its very fast and you cant beat the price. I was just printing my manual for the air conditioner the other day from my tablet Very Happy

Thats probably our most popular tablet. Last nite I was watching netflix and hulu plus on it: and you have hdmi port so you can output to tv if you want. Just a matter of getting the right tablet and not at the cost of an arm and leg like you said.

Ray What a Face
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:01 pm


I've been hearing alot of good things about that Samsung.... Smile
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Admin on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:10 pm

JohnP wrote:
I've been hearing alot of good things about that Samsung.... Smile

Yeah the samsung units are very good. Before these we carried the Utopia Apad 8 IMX515, but I been so impressed with these samsung units that I stopped carrying the Utopia units and carry these instead. Theres only a 20.00 difference in price and its worth it!

Ray Very Happy
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Bob3 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:40 pm

...Damn Snipers....

Hey! I resemble that remark! Twisted Evil

You might wanna check out jBidwatcher!
Sniping is the best way to be assured ya don't lose an ebay bid unless your absolute top dollar price is exceeded.
When entering the max price into the program, just ask yourself "would I be willing to pay another dollar more?" and when the answer is "no", you're there.
You can lose in confidence knowing that "the other guy" has overpaid. Relatively speaking, of course. What a Face


http://www.jbidwatcher.com
avatar
Bob3

Posts : 176
Points : 201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Bob3 wrote:
...Damn Snipers....

Hey! I resemble that remark! Twisted Evil

You might wanna check out jBidwatcher!
Sniping is the best way to be assured ya don't lose an ebay bid unless your absolute top dollar price is exceeded.
When entering the max price into the program, just ask yourself "would I be willing to pay another dollar more?" and when the answer is "no", you're there.
You can lose in confidence knowing that "the other guy" has overpaid. Relatively speaking, of course. What a Face


http://www.jbidwatcher.com

That's the way I work it. As far as I'm concerned anyway. I figure what I'll pay including shipping and that's it. I make them really want it! Laughing
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Bob3 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Getting back to Ray's original topic; yah, I'd sure be interested in checking out an android OS for the [2] Dell Minis that I've been giving a real workout the past couple months while I've been on the road.

They've got PhoenixOS Hardy & Lucid on them but I'm having the "usual" keyboard issues of nailing 2-3 keys at once with my fat fingers, not to mention their touchpads make the cursor jump all over if so much as a fly farts near them. Suspect
They've been working fine when plugged into a full size keyboard, monitor & mouse but the dang things are a real buttpain to operate all on their own. Evil or Very Mad
If they wouldn't be so dang light weight & actually run on a battery for several hours I'd switch back to an old ThinkPad again.Rolling Eyes
I guess there might not be any single best travel machine for me except for maybe one of those super thin expensive as heck Sony or Apples.
Or maybe a tablet & ThinkPad. Twisted Evil
Go for it Ray! Sounds exciting!!!What a Face
How do ya think it'd run on say an old R-60? My T-2x machines have been retired.
avatar
Bob3

Posts : 176
Points : 201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:19 am

I have an HP Mini and a Samsung 10 inch. I also have one or two HP in parts. I kinda wish I have one of those touchscreen kits for that to make it a large tablet. That would be nice, but I'm planing on wiping the HP and try it on there. So that means the touch pad and wireless have to work. And since I have the extended battery in the HP it should have a decent run time.... cheers
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Bob3 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:13 am

...I kinda wish I have one of those touchscreen kits for that to make it a large tablet.
I see the add-on touch screens around from time to time, usually available directly from China at the most reasonable prices so a guy isn't paying as much for the kit as a new tablet would run.
Some model netbooks are way easier to adapt than others though.

I had one of those pricey "Motion Computing" tablets but was unsure if there were any reliable Linux drivers for the touchscreens though.
I didn't have the restore disks & it used "windoze tablet edition os" so never messed with it much.
It needed one of those dang pens, wound up giving it to my kid & he's got it parked on a shelf, opting for an old Linux ThinkPad instead.

I have an industrial touch screen computer (panel mount) that's on my "to do" pallet to mess with. What a Face
avatar
Bob3

Posts : 176
Points : 201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Bob3 wrote:

I had one of those pricey "Motion Computing" tablets but was unsure if there were any reliable Linux drivers for the touchscreens though.
I didn't have the restore disks & it used "windoze tablet edition os" so never messed with it much.
It needed one of those dang pens, wound up giving it to my kid & he's got it parked on a shelf, opting for an old Linux ThinkPad instead.

I have an industrial touch screen computer (panel mount) that's on my "to do" pallet to mess with. What a Face

Over in the Toughbook forums, several guys are running Ubuntu on their touchscreen models. So it is supported, but those are a resistive not digital. In fact, I do have one of those, I 'retired' it cause it started to run slow with the newer OS updates bogging it down.... Humm... There's an idea! But they are quite expensive compared to about any other laptop. You know, that may be the breaking point. Digital vs. Resistive. Unless Ray knows if Android supports the digital touchscreens. If I recall correctly, that Motion Computing tablet of yours take a stylus, meaning digital. That would tell the tale right off. So once Ray gets that Phoenix Android ready, try it on the tablet and see. I'll get the Toughbook out and image the drive and do the same here, then we'll compare notes! Yeah, that's the ticket!! lol! JohnP
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Bob3 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:06 am

...try it on the tablet and see.
The tablet is at my kid's place in WI; right now I'm a couple hundred miles away, packing to head back to CA tomorrow so I can cool off a little bit.
I came to WI for the warm weather this spring (20° WARMER than in CA) & now it's STILL hotter here than CA, with 40-50% higher humidity. Suspect

The tablet may have to wait 'till next trip out.
Now... I still have a shopping cart full of Itronix touch screen rough service laptops back in CA but their hardware specs are so "95-ish" that the only Linux distros runnable on them are DSL & Puppy, with little hope of touchscreen drivers being very functional.

I'm itching to do something with that panel though.
I was lucky as heck to get one (it showed "sold out" during checkout) but one showed up at the door a few days later anyway.
Dirt cheap, too, about $125. I should have gotten a dozen.
I've been thinking about slapping that one in my buddy's fish tug on Lake Superior but he doesn't know he needs one yet though. pirat

I wonder what sorta hardware specs the "Android Phoenix" would need? What a Face
avatar
Bob3

Posts : 176
Points : 201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Admin on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Bob3 wrote:
...try it on the tablet and see.
The tablet is at my kid's place in WI; right now I'm a couple hundred miles away, packing to head back to CA tomorrow so I can cool off a little bit.
I came to WI for the warm weather this spring (20° WARMER than in CA) & now it's STILL hotter here than CA, with 40-50% higher humidity. Suspect

The tablet may have to wait 'till next trip out.
Now... I still have a shopping cart full of Itronix touch screen rough service laptops back in CA but their hardware specs are so "95-ish" that the only Linux distros runnable on them are DSL & Puppy, with little hope of touchscreen drivers being very functional.

I'm itching to do something with that panel though.
I was lucky as heck to get one (it showed "sold out" during checkout) but one showed up at the door a few days later anyway.
Dirt cheap, too, about $125. I should have gotten a dozen.
I've been thinking about slapping that one in my buddy's fish tug on Lake Superior but he doesn't know he needs one yet though. pirat

I wonder what sorta hardware specs the "Android Phoenix" would need? What a Face

I would recommend at least a 1 gig processor or higher, at least 4 gigs storage space. It can be installed to a a hard drive or a flash drive using unetbootin.

Ray
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Bob3 wrote:
Now... I still have a shopping cart full of Itronix touch screen rough service laptops back in CA but their hardware specs are so "95-ish" that the only Linux distros runnable on them are DSL & Puppy, with little hope of touchscreen drivers being very functional.

I'm a little familiar with those. About a 800Mhz to 1Ghz CPU? The Toughbook is simular, a 1.2 Ghz CPU basic ruggedized laptop.


Bob3 wrote:I'm itching to do something with that panel though.
I was lucky as heck to get one (it showed "sold out" during checkout) but one showed up at the door a few days later anyway.
Dirt cheap, too, about $125. I should have gotten a dozen.
I've been thinking about slapping that one in my buddy's fish tug on Lake Superior but he doesn't know he needs one yet though. pirat

I wonder what sorta hardware specs the "Android Phoenix" would need? What a Face

Motion Industries Right? 1 Ghz or something like that? I had a Toshiba M200 tablet/Laptop for a while. It was a 1.2 Ghz CPU and it worked pretty well but I just wasn't happy the way it bogged down if I was doing anything even a little intense. That's when I found a newer Toughook 'Semi-Ruggedized' a CF-51 that had a Core Duo and I fell in love! Back to whats going on, I'm looking at a Fujitsu tablet that's duo core. So I'll have the horsepower, but will I have the hardware support? Another thing with this is the indoor/outdoor display. Once it cools down outside, I plan on spending some time outside and I want to take the tablet with me.. study JohnP
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:51 am

Admin wrote:

I would recommend at least a 1 gig processor or higher, at least 4 gigs storage space. It can be installed to a a hard drive or a flash drive using unetbootin.

Ray [/quote]

Ray,
That's why I am working on moving everything to Core Duo at least. The nice thing is that Core Duo devices can be upgraded to Core 2 Duo. The Toughbook I mentioned having Core Duo was built with a 2 GHz processor, I stumbled into a Core 2 Duo 2 GHz and it works like a champ!
That said, I'm still working on a Duo CPU tablet, and yes, it'll be x86 based... Right now I feel a little more comfortable in that area. Down the road I'll move more into ARM based stuff. If I'm real lucky, I'll talk to you about shipping on one of those tablets you have! Very Happy JohnP
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Admin on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:12 pm

JohnP wrote:
Admin wrote:

I would recommend at least a 1 gig processor or higher, at least 4 gigs storage space. It can be installed to a a hard drive or a flash drive using unetbootin.

Ray

Ray,
That's why I am working on moving everything to Core Duo at least. The nice thing is that Core Duo devices can be upgraded to Core 2 Duo. The Toughbook I mentioned having Core Duo was built with a 2 GHz processor, I stumbled into a Core 2 Duo 2 GHz and it works like a champ!
That said, I'm still working on a Duo CPU tablet, and yes, it'll be x86 based... Right now I feel a little more comfortable in that area. Down the road I'll move more into ARM based stuff. If I'm real lucky, I'll talk to you about shipping on one of those tablets you have! Very Happy JohnP[/quote]

Sounds like fun, I think your toughbook will run nicely on android. As for down the road just let me know tablet shipping in usa is cheap: using priority mail.

Ray
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Admin wrote:

Sounds like fun, I think your toughbook will run nicely on android. As for down the road just let me know tablet shipping in usa is cheap: using priority mail.

Ray

Hi Ray,
Yep, when I score some cash, I'll be in touch... Smile On a side note, just scored a convertible laptop/tablet. Yep, it's a digital screen but I'm thinking straight Linux in it. Want to try the indoor/outdoor display. Got lucky on this one that it has a secondary battery in place of a optical dive. Sounds like my kind of computer... cheers
I'll take a shot at Android, but I'm not sure that it'll support the digitizer. I'll try out the Toughbook and yes, it should work. This is getting to be more fun! Laughing JohnP
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Got the Fujitsu Tablet. It has a Core 2 Duo processor and so on.... The digitizer is a Watcom digital RF so it's not supported by Android. It does work great with Linux! Works pretty solid... Smile JohnP
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Admin on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:12 am

JohnP wrote:Got the Fujitsu Tablet. It has a Core 2 Duo processor and so on.... The digitizer is a Watcom digital RF so it's not supported by Android. It does work great with Linux! Works pretty solid... Smile JohnP

Congratulations, maybe you can test the PhoenixOS Final on it, be interesting to see how it performs!

Ray
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Admin wrote:
Congratulations, maybe you can test the PhoenixOS Final on it, be interesting to see how it performs!

Ray

Thanks! That's one of many trials I'll be doing! Sleep JohnP
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  JohnP on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:37 am

Admin wrote:
Congratulations, maybe you can test the PhoenixOS Final on it, be interesting to see how it performs!

Ray


OK Ray, by the final PhoenixOS, are you referring to the one presently available for download? Or is there another one waiting in the wings??
Also, since it's been a while, my short term memory is fading fast.... What are the log-on name and passwords? I know recall using AMD and INTEL for passwords... But after that, the medication has blown out my memory!!! Tried to tell the wife I didn't remember marrying her, but that didn't work either... lol! JohnP
avatar
JohnP

Posts : 67
Points : 71
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Version of PhoenixOS

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum