PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need testers

+11
RevJack
Bob3
newyorkpaulie
Deffi
bobd13045
dalevandy
PaulS
Ray
hqlinux
StanTheMan
Admin
15 posters
Go down
S3Indiana
S3Indiana
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Need testers - Page 3 Empty Re: Need testers

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:19 pm
bluey wrote:I am not a fan of kde4. The new konqueror and dolphin file managers are but a shadow of kde3 konqueror for file management. Some of the other glitz is OK but until or unless the file management comes back to kde3 standard I will avoid it as far as possible.
Curious, what file management functionality is missing???
JNibski
JNibski

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:25 pm
RevJack wrote:I like KDE 4.4!

I like todays "pretty" girls - too! But they do not have the "finesse" of the older ones. Wink
--------------------------------------------------------------------

.......Whatever the plan is - there will always be second guessing.

If there is a "workable" iso...then it should be released for testing, the more input {from different machines/testers} the better, in order to help determine a final "type" product....isn't that the objective of a distro in the making?

JN.
StanTheMan

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 pm
I have Ubuntu 10.04 from the daily-builds with Gnome running quite well .
But I am having trouble with Kubuntu 10.04 daily build, it needs a lot of fine tuning.
Why not go along with 9.10 for now .
Bob3
Bob3

Need testers - Page 3 Empty konquer, not happy.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 pm
On my current install, kubuntu 8.04.2, konqueror has a really annoying habit of attempting to open everything with adobe acrobat reader, scratch a situation that's probably been addressed in an upgrade that I've been ignoring to install because of a tiny hard drive that's constantly being "filled". Suspect

I have a bigger HD already installed in the machine that's just waiting on the release of the [upcoming] desktop PhoenixOS.
I'm not really happy with ANY of the file management programs installed, be it konqueror, which is fundamentally unusable in its current mode, or dolphin, which is overly complicated, the "superuser" version being the redeeming characteristic.
I'll be happier than a clam in mud going to 9.1, even though our "shop dynamic" calls for a LTS to be used... eventually.
StanTheMan

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:49 pm
QUOTE konqueror has a really annoying habit of attempting to open everything with adobe acrobat reader, UNQUOTE

When you click on a file in Konqueror or most file managers, you dfesktop system first reads the file extension and then looks in the file associations menu to see what application is listed as top preference.
Normally if you install Acrob at Reader after OS installation, it is set at the top of the priority list.
You can edit the file associations priority list to place a preferred application as preference top of the list for any specific file type.
Bob3
Bob3

Need testers - Page 3 Empty konqueror & acrobat mischief

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:55 am
...it is set at the top of the priority list.
You can edit the file associations priority list to place a preferred application as preference top of the list for any specific file type.
Yep, I've got kpdf set to open *.pdf files instead of acrobat reader, but for *whatever* reason, konqueror doesn't want to play nice & keep the "reassignments" when it comes to redoing the file associations both from the "system settings" menu as well as the Konqueror preferences menu. Rolling Eyes
Figured it was just a bug, because I've never done any recent updating of installed packages, which historically has taken care of similar gremlins like this.
Hey, Firefox is still playing nice, so...
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:57 pm
While I agree 4.4 is definitely better than any of the releases before it I liken it to Vista vs Windows 7 yes it's better but the bar wasn't very high so it isn't that impressive. I still prefer KDE 3.5 myself. I am a little upset the KDE developers don't seem to care about the many people that liked the old version it is like they all just up and said "to heck with all the people that got us where we are today"
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum