Old Spire Buddies

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Old Spire Buddies

Post  JohnP on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:43 pm

Admin wrote:

It was tested on an acer aspire atom netbook, thanks to a customer lending us his netbook to try it. Right now Im running it on my MSI Intel Dual care Nvidia laptop and its practically instantaneous!

Ray What a Face

Sounds like it's about time to image the HP and get ready to wipe it! Shocked I also aught to start keeping an eye out to see if a SSD upgrade is out for that. Could start getting more fun over here... Wink JohnP
JohnP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Linut Mint forum

Post  bobd13045 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:01 am

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=88259
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brotherleroy on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:15 pm

bobd13045 wrote:I miss my old Spire buds. What version of Linux are you running now or any other news? I'm running Linux Mint 11 on my netbook. On my PC I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate. I still test out Linux stuff on my spare PC hard drive.

Bob

Well I got back from my only tour in Iraq back in November. My primary machine these days is a Macbook Pro that I bought in 2010, but I also still run whatever I feel like on my old laptop Dell XPS M1330, usually it is running a variation of Ubuntu. My tower is now over 10 years old and time for an upgrade.

When I got back from Iraq it was still running Linspire Five-O, I tried installing Ubuntu 11.10, but that made it operate slower than it ever did with Windoze. Going to go back and install some version of Debian on it. I figure i can set it up as a multimedia server or something.

Next plan is to build a Myth Box for my living room.

How is the Phoenix Debian brand coming along I haven't been here in quite a while?

brotherleroy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobd13045 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:26 pm

brotherleroy wrote:
bobd13045 wrote:I miss my old Spire buds. What version of Linux are you running now or any other news? I'm running Linux Mint 11 on my netbook. On my PC I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate. I still test out Linux stuff on my spare PC hard drive.

Bob

Well I got back from my only tour in Iraq back in November. My primary machine these days is a Macbook Pro that I bought in 2010, but I also still run whatever I feel like on my old laptop Dell XPS M1330, usually it is running a variation of Ubuntu. My tower is now over 10 years old and time for an upgrade.

When I got back from Iraq it was still running Linspire Five-O, I tried installing Ubuntu 11.10, but that made it operate slower than it ever did with Windoze. Going to go back and install some version of Debian on it. I figure i can set it up as a multimedia server or something.

How is the Phoenix Debian brand coming along I haven't been here in quite a while?

Great hearing from you. Happy to hear you are safely back from IRAQ.

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 on my Dell mini 9. Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit on my HP Pavilion desktop PC.

Bob
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:55 pm

brotherleroy wrote:

Bob

First off, thank you for your service! And Welcome back! Very Happy

Now, on the old desktop, there are several distributions that or not as video heavy like Anti-X or even Puppy. JohnP
JohnP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brotherleroy on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:14 pm

JohnP wrote:
brotherleroy wrote:

Bob

First off, thank you for your service! And Welcome back! Very Happy

Now, on the old desktop, there are several distributions that or not as video heavy like Anti-X or even Puppy. JohnP

Haven't tried Anti-X. Didn't like my last experience with Anti X. The old Box has a gig of ram and about a terabyte drive in it. I think i'll just build a media server using an older version of debian and keep it on an internal home network for now. Found another machine just lying around while cleaning up the place don't remember how I acquired it but it is newer so this will more than likely be replacing my main box.

brotherleroy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:40 pm

brotherleroy wrote:
Haven't tried Anti-X. Didn't like my last experience with Anti X. The old Box has a gig of ram and about a terabyte drive in it. I think i'll just build a media server using an older version of debian and keep it on an internal home network for now. Found another machine just lying around while cleaning up the place don't remember how I acquired it but it is newer so this will more than likely be replacing my main box.

Ah yes, the found system syndrome.. Razz I do it all the time. I save my money all year to go to a local hamfest where several vendors sell used laptops. I get several to play with them during the year. I almost always forget one or the other during the year. What a Face

Anyway I'll suggest you visit Distrowatch . There are several server packages listed, one might be just the one your looking for. Once I get a little more time to work on it, I'm considering Vortexbox as a media server or SMS for generic storage. Right now I'm working on the getting the drives for a system up and running. Take time when funds are slow in coming! Razz I'll get there one of these days.. Wink
JohnP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 am

brotherleroy wrote:

Bob

There is a Phoenix OS Debian version coming out very soon. In the meantime I just uploaded PhoenixOS Lucid Final if you like to test it. Runs very fast!

http://www.raccomputers.com/phoenixosST022012.iso

Also still uses good ole reliable simple kde 3.5 !

Welcome back!

Ray

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Hey all.

Post  LinuxGamer on Sun May 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Thought I would swing in and say hi to everyone. Been a long time. Nice to see some familiar faces. Very Happy This place does not look overly busy, but at least there are a few members from the Lindows days.. I am running Xubuntu 12.04 these days.. or Vista, or Win 7.. Depending what I am doing, and what computer I am on.. Glad there is a place to at least stop by and say hi to the refugees from the past. Cool
LinuxGamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobd13045 on Sun May 20, 2012 4:36 pm

LinuxGamer wrote:Thought I would swing in and say hi to everyone. Been a long time. Nice to see some familiar faces. Very Happy This place does not look overly busy, but at least there are a few members from the Lindows days.. I am running Xubuntu 12.04 these days.. or Vista, or Win 7.. Depending what I am doing, and what computer I am on.. Glad there is a place to at least stop by and say hi to the refugees from the past. Cool

Desktop: Windows 7 boot drive , Windows 8 on a test drive.

Netbook: Linux Mint 13 RC

Bob
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Mon May 21, 2012 9:35 am

Welcome aboard. We have a new release coming so you may want to try it out.
jpisini
Admin

View user profile http://cafecomputer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bobd13045 on Mon May 21, 2012 4:46 pm

jpisini wrote:Welcome aboard. We have a new release coming so you may want to try it out.

Will be waiting for the download link Very Happy

Bob
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Do I count as a old Spire buddy?

Post  Brynstero on Sun May 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Or am I persona on grata here?

Brynstero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Sun May 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Brynstero wrote:Or am I persona on grata here?

I wouldn't think so, welcome aboard although things are pretty quiet around here at the moment and I'm not sure when the activities will recommence.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top