PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Upload

+9
newyorkpaulie
Bob3
w8vfp
PGTips91
S3Indiana
hqlinux
Deffi
Ray
Admin
13 posters
Go down
Ray
Ray

New Upload - Page 5 Empty Re: New Upload

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:39 pm
PGTips91 wrote:
Ray wrote:
Paul,

I believe that you have a system setting wrong whereby a new konsole window opens in a new window BEHIND the current window, this would explain why you are getting the hidden konsole windows. Unfortunately I have been having some sata problems with my new computer - partially resolved and you wouldn't believe it when I turned on my klikit system which is my email and web browsing system this morning, lo and behold a Grub 15 error, and that's been about my day so far. I have backed up my email drive which is all that I'm worried about, now I have to decide what to install on it. Have tried a few Grub fixes but as usual none of them work. However I'll persevere, thank goodness for Puppy Linux. I'll make the recommended changes to the prompt names as soon as I get a linux computer again - hopefully later today.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Did you get back to this?

I have since discovered another tool for downloading large files safely and efficiently and have been trying it out with encouraging results. It is aria2 [aria2c is the application to run]. I have posted about this on the Linux Internationals forum, here, and have made a Wiki page about it here.

Paul
Paul,

At the moment I'm still without a Linux computer, however I have my new computer setup and have just upgraded my Vmware Workstation 6 to Workstation 7 so I'm hoping to get a virtual system up today sometime. I did read about aria2 at the LI forum but what with my computer problems which includes setting up my wifes computer with Windows Vista the 'free time' has been in short supply.

It is my intention to run a Linux virtual machine for my email and web surfing and hopefully I'll be able to reducemy computers down from 5 - which is too many for an old man. I'll let you know as soon as the amended process is available. I'l also try to check out the aria process as well.

Ray
PGTips91
PGTips91
http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 am
Ray wrote:Paul,

At the moment I'm still without a Linux computer, however I have my new computer setup and have just upgraded my Vmware Workstation 6 to Workstation 7 so I'm hoping to get a virtual system up today sometime. I did read about aria2 at the LI forum but what with my computer problems which includes setting up my wifes computer with Windows Vista the 'free time' has been in short supply.

It is my intention to run a Linux virtual machine for my email and web surfing and hopefully I'll be able to reduce my computers down from 5 - which is too many for an old man. I'll let you know as soon as the amended process is available. I'l also try to check out the aria process as well.

Ray

Oh dear, sorry that you are having difficulties. I hope you get yourself sorted soon.

Have you thought of having your emails on a separate partition that can be accessed from any installed OS? I set this up on a friends computer that was double-booting MS Windows XP and a Ubuntu derivative. It wasn't too difficult and there were how-tos to guide me through it as far as I recall. That, plus a Gmail account will give you access from many angles but with one central repository of data.

What method(s) do you use for backing up your important data? I have recently got an external USB drive with 1 TB of storage space. I have backed up to this by various means but want to learn how to use rsync-backup which could potentially do the job much better and on a schedule, including my sister's computer via the Internet.

I am fortunate to have two computers to play and work on, so normally one of them works for me! Yesterday I managed to fix a problem with one partition on my test-bed machine with fsck from a LiveDVD of Sabayon Linux 5.2.x86.G. I am also in the fortunate position of having no data cap on my broadband connection - fixed cost - with Telecom. I feel liberated again after being cut back to 56 k for half the month previously. Now I am playing around with large downloads, such as Sabayon_Linux_5.1-r1_x86_GAMING.iso, 3823206 KB, 12/23/2009, just to see how aria2c handles it. I might get some fun out of the games into the bargain but that is secondary. As I continue to experiment with aria2c and am very impressed with its speed and reliability.

My next experiment will be to use zsync to update an ISO and then use aria2c to download the missing chunks! I think it will work and would improve on the download speeds available immensely - that was one of the problems I have been having with zsync, it was just so slow at times. I'll post back here as well as on LI with what I discover.

Paul
Ray
Ray

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:27 am
PGTips91 wrote:
Ray wrote:Paul,

It is my intention to run a Linux virtual machine for my email and web surfing and hopefully I'll be able to reduce my computers down from 5 - which is too many for an old man. I'll let you know as soon as the amended process is available. I'l also try to check out the aria process as well.

Ray

Oh dear, sorry that you are having difficulties. I hope you get yourself sorted soon.

Have you thought of having your emails on a separate partition that can be accessed from any installed OS? I set this up on a friends computer that was double-booting MS Windows XP and a Ubuntu derivative. It wasn't too difficult and there were how-tos to guide me through it as far as I recall. That, plus a Gmail account will give you access from many angles but with one central repository of data.

What method(s) do you use for backing up your important data? I have recently got an external USB drive with 1 TB of storage space. I have backed up to this by various means but want to learn how to use rsync-backup which could potentially do the job much better and on a schedule, including my sister's computer via the Internet.

I am fortunate to have two computers to play and work on, so normally one of them works for me! Yesterday I managed to fix a problem with one partition on my test-bed machine with fsck from a LiveDVD of Sabayon Linux 5.2.x86.G. I am also in the fortunate position of having no data cap on my broadband connection - fixed cost - with Telecom. I feel liberated again after being cut back to 56 k for half the month previously. Now I am playing around with large downloads, such as Sabayon_Linux_5.1-r1_x86_GAMING.iso, 3823206 KB, 12/23/2009, just to see how aria2c handles it. I might get some fun out of the games into the bargain but that is secondary. As I continue to experiment with aria2c and am very impressed with its speed and reliability.

My next experiment will be to use zsync to update an ISO and then use aria2c to download the missing chunks! I think it will work and would improve on the download speeds available immensely - that was one of the problems I have been having with zsync, it was just so slow at times. I'll post back here as well as on LI with what I discover.

Paul
Paul,

I'm ok for email, I do have it on a seperate drive but I also use imap which means I can connect to my mail at any time. I am having trouble converting a Windows 2000 drive to a Vmware Workstation virtual machine, according to the manual all is ok exccept that I can't get it to accept the share, talk about making a simple job bloody difficult, some people really know how to achieve a real frustration level in their customers. This upgrade of Vmware looks as if it will be about as useful as my other upgrades of the product. I went Vmware because sound worked where it didn't in my Parallels product.

I have made the changes to the zsync file but can't tet it at the moment so I'm loathe to put it up there, I'll see whether I can test it in my Phoenix virtual machine.

Ray
Me-My
Me-My

Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:18 am
With all the chit-chat do we or do we not have a viable download?

When it gets done.
I would suggest a locked post with said location info, so it doesn't get this bloody long. Any comments can be started as a separate thread! Embarassed
Ray
Ray

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:06 pm
Me-My wrote:With all the chit-chat do we or do we not have a viable download?

When it gets done.
I would suggest a locked post with said location info, so it doesn't get this bloody long. Any comments can be started as a separate thread! Embarassed
I see that you are in your usual 'jolly mode'

Ray
PGTips91
PGTips91
http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

New Upload - Page 5 Empty Finding download information

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:05 pm
Ray wrote:I see that you are in your usual 'jolly mode'

Ray

Me-My may be in his usual mode, but he does have a valid point. Coming to the forum and expecting easily to find the latest download information is for experts only, IMHO!

I think that there needs to be a blog page with the latest information and instructions thereon and that the forum should just point there. Discussion on a separate thread is also indicated.

Paul
Ray
Ray

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:54 pm
PGTips91 wrote:
Ray wrote:I see that you are in your usual 'jolly mode'

Ray

Me-My may be in his usual mode, but he does have a valid point. Coming to the forum and expecting easily to find the latest download information is for experts only, IMHO!

I think that there needs to be a blog page with the latest information and instructions thereon and that the forum should just point there. Discussion on a separate thread is also indicated.

Paul
Nothing that anyone does is of any use unless they are prepared to keep it up to date. I no longer expect any semblance of communication from any of the developers of distros that I am interested in and spend my time trying to find a suitable distro to install as a virtual machine for my email, at which point I'll probably give them all away. There seems to be very little point or incentive to help any of them in their quest to bring enlightenment to the masses because imo they are not truly interested in actually producing anything worthwhile.

Ray
JNibski
JNibski

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:36 pm
.....I understand your frustration, Ray...There has been too much water under the bridge since LINDOWS for a decent Linux distro NOT to become important by now...PCLOS has been the closest imo -they tend to keep up their sites.
I have been busy with other things (like life) lately, and came here today to see about developments with this DISTRO...and would also like to see an area or timeline of the progress with the proper headings somewhere...eg: a specific area/page for people to download the tester, and have some info on the bugs, or things being worked on, etc...
I also understand some of us are in business, and have a life, and I am not demanding anything...just suggesting for the successful future...I too -sort of got "lost" in this forum today, after a few weeks of being absent.

Me-My has been around enough to recognize/address some forum things...remember, we all have our idiosyncrasies. drunken

JN
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm
JNibski wrote:...remember, we all have our idiosyncrasies. drunken

JN

LOLROTF!!! I resemble that remark.... lol! lol! lol!

Harvey

PS... Mepis is also a very good distro, and it just plain works. Fedora has come a LONG way IMO, and I am actually getting used to Gnome, and I am getting to like it...
JNibski
JNibski

Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:07 pm
I am actually getting used to Gnome, and I am getting to like it...

I have "Slick 50's" PCLOS GNOME December 09 version on my toshiba laptop, it is put together well - refined...very similar to Fedoras - with many of the bugs worked out...here is the 2010 version.....Remember "ka9yhd"? I think he's using it too...

I forgot about MEPIS , they have the BEST how-to documentations....!

..........Anyway, maybe info from different distros can be a benefit here for this distro...? I realize they can be based on different mojos, but sometimes its good to go outside the box for ideas...Idea
Well, maybe i'm getting too far ahead,while we wait to see what develops here.

JN.
Me-My
Me-My

Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 pm
Ray wrote:
Me-My wrote:With all the chit-chat do we or do we not have a viable download?

When it gets done.
I see that you are in your usual 'jolly mode'

Ray

jolly mood--OK! Very Happy Very Happy

haven't used it yet, was quite active at revlinuxos forum, but haven't been able to get to it for some time now. bummed on that one. actually I haven't loaded any thing new since using klitit
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum