New Upload

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:05 am

Anyone needing help with a zsync download, I have made a Wiki page here : --

How to get PhoenixOS with zsync

I'll update this once Ray has uploaded the new ISO with the latest bug-fixes.

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: Zsync Gui

Post  Ray on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Paul,

Am just completing some testing on a zsync gui (written using kommander), it all seems to be working ok for me, I'll post a couple of screenshots shortly - need to test using the actual url for Phoenixos, I've been testing with all local files. I will post the file to my website (5.5Kb) when I've completed the testing.

If you have a few spare moments perhaps you could give it a test for me.

Ray
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

geeze...

Post  Bob3 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Dang, wish the Lindows folks would've had that back when a download took 7 hours on what was "supposedly" a DSL line.
What a Face
avatar
Bob3

Posts : 176
Points : 201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Zsync Gui

Post  Ray on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:53 pm

Paul,

I just checked out the gui using Raccomputers, looks ok. I have added 3 screenshots as follows:

http://www.rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync1a.jpg
http://www.rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync2a.jpg
http://www.rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync3a.jpg

The gui can be downloaded from:

http://rayblackwell.net/Pictures/Screenshots/Zsync.kmdr

Ray
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Ray wrote:Paul,

I just checked out the gui using Raccomputers, looks ok. I have added 3 screenshots as follows:

http://www.rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync1a.jpg
http://www.rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync2a.jpg
http://www.rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync3a.jpg

The gui can be downloaded from:

http://rayblackwell.net/Pictures/Screenshots/Zsync.kmdr

Ray

Hi Ray,

That looks as if it will server the purpose admirably. Thank you very much.

Can you check the download URL as I don't seem to be able to get the file with the link as it now is.[/Pictures/Screenshots/Zsync.kmdr]

Cheers,

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  hqlinux on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Ray...

SUCCESS cheers cheers cheers with my rack box. I just kept rebooting when it got hung up, and finallly the OS loaded. I ran lshw on the box for you so you can check hardware compatibility:

bob@bob:~$ sudo lshw
[sudo] password for bob:
bob
description: Desktop Computer
product: VT8367-8233A
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
width: 32 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.2 dmi-2.2
configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: VT8367-8233A
physical id: 0
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
physical id: 0
version: 6.00 PG (01/24/2003)
size: 128KiB
capacity: 192KiB
capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing escd cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb agp ls120boot zipboot
*-cpu
description: CPU
product: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.6.2
slot: Socket A
size: 1733MHz
width: 32 bits
clock: 133MHz
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
*-cache:0
description: L1 cache
physical id: 9
slot: Internal Cache
size: 128KiB
capacity: 128KiB
capabilities: synchronous internal write-back
*-cache:1
description: L2 cache
physical id: a
slot: External Cache
size: 256KiB
capacity: 256KiB
capabilities: synchronous external write-back
*-memory
description: System Memory
physical id: 1a
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 1536MiB
*-bank:0
description: DIMM
physical id: 0
slot: A0
size: 512MiB
*-bank:1
description: DIMM
physical id: 1
slot: A1
size: 512MiB
*-bank:2
description: DIMM
physical id: 2
slot: A2
size: 512MiB
*-pci
description: Host bridge
product: VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
configuration: driver=agpgart-via
resources: irq:0 memory:e0000000-e3ffffff(prefetchable)
*-pci
description: PCI bridge
product: VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333 AGP]
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pci pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
resources: memory:e4000000-e5ffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable)
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a3
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm agp agp-2.0 vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=32 maxlatency=1 mingnt=5
resources: memory:e4000000-e4ffffff memory:d0000000-d7ffffff(prefetchable) memory:d8000000-d807ffff(prefetchable) memory:d8080000-d809ffff(prefetchable)
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: d
bus info: pci@0000:00:0d.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:50:2c:04:a3:e1
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.105 latency=32 link=yes maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
resources: irq:11 ioport:c000(size=256) memory:e7001000-e70010ff
*-usb:0
description: USB Controller
product: VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: e
bus info: pci@0000:00:0e.0
version: 50
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm uhci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=32
resources: irq:11 ioport:c400(size=32)
*-usb:1
description: USB Controller
product: VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: e.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:0e.1
version: 50
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm uhci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=32
resources: irq:10 ioport:c800(size=32)
*-usb:2
description: USB Controller
product: USB 2.0
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: e.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:0e.2
version: 51
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm ehci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=32
resources: irq:5 memory:e7000000-e70000ff
*-storage
description: RAID bus controller
product: HPT366/368/370/370A/372/372N
vendor: HighPoint Technologies, Inc.
physical id: f
bus info: pci@0000:00:0f.0
version: 05
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: storage pm bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=pata_hpt37x latency=120 maxlatency=8 mingnt=8
resources: irq:10 ioport:cc00(size=Cool ioport:d000(size=4) ioport:d400(size=Cool ioport:d800(size=4) ioport:dc00(size=256) memory:60000000-6001ffff(prefetchable)
*-multimedia
description: Multimedia audio controller
product: CM8738
vendor: C-Media Electronics Inc
physical id: 10
bus info: pci@0000:00:10.0
version: 10
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=C-Media PCI latency=32 maxlatency=24 mingnt=2
resources: irq:5 ioport:e000(size=256)
*-isa
description: ISA bridge
product: VT8233A ISA Bridge
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 11
bus info: pci@0000:00:11.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: isa pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
*-ide
description: IDE interface
product: VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 11.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:11.1
logical name: scsi0
logical name: scsi1
version: 06
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ide pm bus_master cap_list emulated
configuration: driver=pata_via latency=32
resources: irq:11 ioport:1f0(size=Cool ioport:3f6 ioport:170(size=Cool ioport:376 ioport:e400(size=16)
*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: Maxtor 6Y080P0
vendor: Maxtor
physical id: 0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: YAR4
serial: Y2AVV4RE
size: 76GiB (81GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=000dd6cb
*-volume:0
description: EXT3 volume
vendor: Linux
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
logical name: /dev/sda1
version: 1.0
serial: 98902ed0-8b40-429d-91b2-63d594fb7bf4
size: 73GiB
capacity: 73GiB
capabilities: primary bootable journaled extended_attributes large_files ext3 ext2 initialized
configuration: created=2009-03-09 20:12:11 filesystem=ext3 modified=2010-02-21 00:39:11 mounted=2010-03-11 09:13:10 state=clean
*-volume:1
description: Extended partition
physical id: 2
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,2
logical name: /dev/sda2
size: 2949MiB
capacity: 2949MiB
capabilities: primary extended partitioned partitioned:extended
*-logicalvolume
description: Linux swap / Solaris partition
physical id: 5
logical name: /dev/sda5
capacity: 2949MiB
capabilities: nofs
*-cdrom:0
description: CD-R/CD-RW writer
product: CD-R PX-W4824A
vendor: PLEXTOR
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: 1.01
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
*-cdrom:1
description: DVD reader
physical id: 0.1.0
bus info: scsi@1:0.1.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom1
logical name: /dev/dvd1
logical name: /dev/scd1
logical name: /dev/sr1
logical name: /media/cdrom
capabilities: audio dvd
configuration: mount.fstype=iso9660 mount.options=ro,noatime state=mounted status=ready
*-usb:3
description: USB Controller
product: VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 11.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:11.2
version: 23
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm uhci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=32
resources: irq:5 ioport:e800(size=32)
*-usb:4
description: USB Controller
product: VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 11.3
bus info: pci@0000:00:11.3
version: 23
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm uhci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=32
resources: irq:5 ioport:ec00(size=32)
bob@bob:~$

Harvey
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Bob3 wrote:Dang, wish the Lindows folks would've had that back when a download took 7 hours on what was "supposedly" a DSL line.
What a Face

Yes, I agree. It was all that pain I suffered while downloading via dial-up that incentivised me to find out how to use zsync. I had downloads fail at 95% because the server only allowed me three days grace to get the file and it took me four nights, overnight, to download. I did learn how to resume the download after logging in again, but so much grief! +32 hours for one ISO.

Unfortunately with all the broadband speeds available today the motivation for using something efficient like zsync seems to have dissipated. I find I'm in an uphill battle all the time to get anyone interested in this method. But my commitment remains high because in has now become so simple and second nature to me and I still see quite a few people suffering from failed downloads, etc. I've never had a zsync download fail yet - with one exception, downloading ArtistX, my main OS these days, failed because of some bug that limits the file to approximately 2 GB whereas ArtistX is about 3+ GB. [wget -c actually finished the download successfully, for the record.]

Another problem area can be very slow download speeds. I think this is because zsync only uses one thread whereas when I download using DownThemAll it uses four threads. Zsync is fairly old and has had little attention since it was created. If only it wasn't such a poor cousin!

Another question is, why has it taken until now for a GUI to be created? [Thanks Ray for doing what nobody else cared to do.]

Paul


Last edited by PGTips91 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added comment about wget -c)
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:25 pm

hqlinux wrote:Ray...

SUCCESS cheers cheers cheers with my rack box. I just kept rebooting when it got hung up, and finallly the OS loaded. I ran lshw on the box for you so you can check hardware compatibility:

Code:
bob@bob:~$ sudo lshw
[sudo] password for bob:
bob
    description: Desktop Computer
    product: VT8367-8233A
    vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.2 dmi-2.2
    configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop
  *-core
      description: Motherboard
      product: VT8367-8233A
      physical id: 0
    *-firmware
          description: BIOS
          vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
          physical id: 0
          version: 6.00 PG (01/24/2003)
          size: 128KiB
          capacity: 192KiB
          capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing escd cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb agp ls120boot zipboot
    snip
bob@bob:~$         


Harvey

Which version does this relate to?

Paul

PS I see the vendor is " vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD". Coincidence? Smile
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Ray on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:51 pm

PGTips91 wrote:
Ray wrote:Paul,

I just checked out the gui using Raccomputers, looks ok. I have added 3 screenshots as follows:

http://www.rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync1a.jpg
http://www.rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync2a.jpg
http://www.rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync3a.jpg

The gui can be downloaded from:

http://rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync.kmdr

Ray

Hi Ray,

That looks as if it will server the purpose admirably. Thank you very much.

Can you check the download URL as I don't seem to be able to get the file with the link as it now is.[/Pictures/Screenshots/Zsync.kmdr]

Cheers,

Paul
Paul,

Sorry about that, the Pictures subdirectory should not be there. This is the correct link.

http://rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync.kmdr

Ray
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:30 pm

Ray wrote:

Paul,

Sorry about that, the Pictures subdirectory should not be there. This is the correct link.

http://rayblackwell.net/Screenshots/Zsync.kmdr

Ray

Next question, now I have the file, how do I run it?

OK forget that, I managed to start it with : --

Code:
sudo kommander /path-to/PhoenixOS/Zsync.kmdr

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Ray on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Paul,

You should be able to just click on it and it should work.

Ray
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  hqlinux on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:39 pm

PGTips91 wrote:

Which version does this relate to?

Paul

PS I see the vendor is " vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD". Coincidence? Smile

I am not quite sure what you are asking. This is my rack computer that I use to try out and test various distros. I used Ray's latest iso, which didn't work at first, but after several repeated reboots, it finally loaded, and I am posting from the OS right now.

I believe that the Phoenix Technologies, LTD refers to my Soyo motherboard.

Harvey
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:06 pm

hqlinux wrote:
PGTips91 wrote:

Which version does this relate to?

Paul

PS I see the vendor is " vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD". Coincidence? Smile

I am not quite sure what you are asking. This is my rack computer that I use to try out and test various distros. I used Ray's latest iso, which didn't work at first, but after several repeated reboots, it finally loaded, and I am posting from the OS right now.

I believe that the Phoenix Technologies, LTD refers to my Soyo motherboard.

Harvey

Yes, silly me, the comment about Phoenix Technologies was a poor attempt at humour.

As to the real question, I assume then that you have installed FlameHawk phoenixos030410.iso.

I'm already looking for the next release, that's why I was asking.

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  hqlinux on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:37 pm

PGTips91 wrote:

Yes, silly me, the comment about Phoenix Technologies was a poor attempt at humour.

As to the real question, I assume then that you have installed FlameHawk phoenixos030410.iso.

I'm already looking for the next release, that's why I was asking.

Paul

Actually I am running the OS as the LiveDVD.

And since I live in Arizona, your humour wasn't silly at all... Cool

Harvey
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Ray on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Another question is, why has it taken until now for a GUI to be created? [Thanks Ray for doing what nobody else cared to do.]

Paul
Paul,

I'd thought about creating this a long time ago, but I recall that some guru on Klikit had said that they were going to do it, so I promptly put it to one side. Since that time I've thought about it several times but it has been so bloody difficult to get anyone to supply the zsync file itself that it all seemed to be a waste of time. However I had been playing around with "kommander" and decided that it was an ideal platform for some of these small jobs - trying to find out how to use "kommander" however was another matter - very little documentation, examples some 5 years old combined with the fact that they expect you to basically know how kommander works before you start and it's a hard road to hoe.

However I am going to continue to play with it to see what I can do, perhaps I'll also look at Gambas while I'm at it. Hope it worked ok for you. My testing consisted of placing the iso and zsync in the same folder, putting the iso in one folder the zsync in another and the resultant iso in a third, the actual iso I also tried in multiple locations. I repeated the exercises using the raccomputers url as would be the normal situation, all of the combinations I tried worked out ok.

Ray
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Admin on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:55 am

Ray wrote:
Another question is, why has it taken until now for a GUI to be created? [Thanks Ray for doing what nobody else cared to do.]

Paul
Paul,

I'd thought about creating this a long time ago, but I recall that some guru on Klikit had said that they were going to do it, so I promptly put it to one side. Since that time I've thought about it several times but it has been so bloody difficult to get anyone to supply the zsync file itself that it all seemed to be a waste of time. However I had been playing around with "kommander" and decided that it was an ideal platform for some of these small jobs - trying to find out how to use "kommander" however was another matter - very little documentation, examples some 5 years old combined with the fact that they expect you to basically know how kommander works before you start and it's a hard road to hoe.

However I am going to continue to play with it to see what I can do, perhaps I'll also look at Gambas while I'm at it. Hope it worked ok for you. My testing consisted of placing the iso and zsync in the same folder, putting the iso in one folder the zsync in another and the resultant iso in a third, the actual iso I also tried in multiple locations. I repeated the exercises using the raccomputers url as would be the normal situation, all of the combinations I tried worked out ok.

Ray

Great Job guys! I am definitely loving it; will makes things so much easier for the community. Once again I appreciate all of you helping out with this!
Thanks

Ray Very Happy
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 am

Hi Ray,

Sorry I haven't got back on this for a while, I've been quite busy.

I think that the problems I was having with your GUI for zsync relate to the fact tht, for some reason when the Konsole window opens it is under the existing windows and it wasn't until I closed those that I found out that all my clicks had opened multiple instances of Konsole, running multiple instances of zsync! My system has been doing this for some time now and I don't know why or how to correct it.

The other aspect of the problem, which you may be able to change, is that zsync is using a /tmp/ directory for its temporary files and, since I am close to running out of room in the root directory of this OS, with all those temporary files, each being the size of the ISO, it was causing no-write errors and not a little series of problems. Hopefully I have that under control, but it would be better if I could have those temporary files in the current working directory as zsunc normally does. Is it possible just to add "cd /path-to-download/directory"?

Tonight I was reading and came across a reference to Zenity. This is apparently a tool for helping non-CLI users with graphical dialog boxes from the command line. Interested?

Zenity
Zenity is a tool that allows you to display Gtk+ dialog boxes from the command line and through shell scripts. It is similar to gdialog, but is intended to be saner. It comes from the same family as dialog, Xdialog, and cdialog, but it surpasses those projects by having a cooler name.
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:05 am

Admin wrote:Great Job guys! I am definitely loving it; will makes things so much easier for the community. Once again I appreciate all of you helping out with this!
Thanks

Ray Very Happy

Hi Ray,

Hope you are coping all right at your end.

I found another distro that are using zsync to download their development branch of the ISOs, at SystemRescueCD. It certainly helps as I had a couple of downloads that just failed to finish normally - they were quite small so it didn't matter too much, but it was just the annoyance of having to do it over and over and have it go down to 0 kbs, stay there for a while and then come up with an error message. Zsync fixed the file in about six seconds on one instance.

I really hope that you can post the .zsync files along with the md5sum files and the ISO files, all in the same directory. It should only take a couple of minutes extra but will have big savings on bandwidth and failed downloads.

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Ray on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:01 am

PGTips91 wrote:Hi Ray,

Sorry I haven't got back on this for a while, I've been quite busy.

I think that the problems I was having with your GUI for zsync relate to the fact tht, for some reason when the Konsole window opens it is under the existing windows and it wasn't until I closed those that I found out that all my clicks had opened multiple instances of Konsole, running multiple instances of zsync! My system has been doing this for some time now and I don't know why or how to correct it.

The other aspect of the problem, which you may be able to change, is that zsync is using a /tmp/ directory for its temporary files and, since I am close to running out of room in the root directory of this OS, with all those temporary files, each being the size of the ISO, it was causing no-write errors and not a little series of problems. Hopefully I have that under control, but it would be better if I could have those temporary files in the current working directory as zsunc normally does. Is it possible just to add "cd /path-to-download/directory"?

Tonight I was reading and came across a reference to Zenity. This is apparently a tool for helping non-CLI users with graphical dialog boxes from the command line. Interested?

Zenity
Zenity is a tool that allows you to display Gtk+ dialog boxes from the command line and through shell scripts. It is similar to gdialog, but is intended to be saner. It comes from the same family as dialog, Xdialog, and cdialog, but it surpasses those projects by having a cooler name.
Paul,

The initial (item 1 input) is the path to the download directory, all my .part files are in that directory so I am not sure how yours are using the /tmp directory, unless of course that's a 'linux quirk'. The intention of the process is to just duplicate what we normally do with zsync, the first instruction in the routine is to cd /to the directory in item 1, the second is to open the konsole window and run zsync normally in the download directory. As for the konsole opening behind the screen, doesn't happen on my system at all, always opens in front of the gui.

I have so far run lots of tests using all sorts of combinations and never had a failure yet so I am sorry you are having such a hard time with it. I just wish we could get someone else to put it through it's paces, it's not much good me saying that I'm getting no errors when you are having problems. I don't know whether you have downloaded my amended process but I have tried to make the screen a little clearer (well it looks clear to me Very Happy ) but that's not much to shout home about. I still haven't found out how to verify the 'host url' but I'm still looking. I'll have a look at Zenity in a few moments, I'm just backing up one of my Win 7 computers (multiple disk trays) ready to install on my new AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition system with 8 GB's ram. Keeps us old buggers busy.

Ray
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:23 am

Thanks, Ray,

I've been a bit to pressed with other matters and overtired into the bargain.

I'll check the revised script out on my test-bed computer and another installed OS on this my main computer as soon as I am able and will report back.

I think the Zenity thing is worth knowing about, in its own right, by anyone writing scripts that others might use.

Off for some shut-eye now,

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

bad downloads

Post  Bob3 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:55 pm

... and never had a failure yet ...
I used to have constant problems with that myself, very irritating.Mad
Our problems were mostly caused by crappy phone lines, they were in many places still the original lines from 50 - 60 years ago.Suspect
Problem gone with the installation of new fiber optic lines a couple years ago. (thank you Surewest!)Very Happy

My "daily use" machine has the occasional bad burn though, might be either the burner or a quirk in the software itself which prompted me to use a [different] dedicated machine for nothing but burning & the jBidwatcher (eBay sniping) app. so I never bothered looking into it.
(One of the side benefits of having bought CD/DVD burners by the case back when we were building & refurbing a lot of machines.)
avatar
Bob3

Posts : 176
Points : 201
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Ray on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:30 pm

PGTips91 wrote:Thanks, Ray,

I've been a bit to pressed with other matters and overtired into the bargain.

I'll check the revised script out on my test-bed computer and another installed OS on this my main computer as soon as I am able and will report back.

I think the Zenity thing is worth knowing about, in its own right, by anyone writing scripts that others might use.

Off for some shut-eye now,

Paul
Paul,

If you have 'kommander' installed on your computer just open my kmdr file in it, select the Process button then right click and click Edit Kommander Text, you will then see the script that it uses to perform the zsync process.

Ray
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:41 am

Ray wrote:Paul,

If you have 'kommander' installed on your computer just open my kmdr file in it, select the Process button then right click and click Edit Kommander Text, you will then see the script that it uses to perform the zsync process.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I am trying out your revised Zsync.kmdr in a LiveDVD session of PhoenixOS.

I had to install Kommander first, after allowing the necessary repository - Karmic Partner.

Next, I tried running by double-clicking on the Zsync.cmdr file, and saw a konsole window flash open the close. I wondered what was going on, then the penny dropped, I had to install zsync itself!

Did that, and got the GUI working, but still it would not start the process after I had entered all the data. Tried a couple of times, then clicked on the X close button and three Konsole windows opened running the zsync process.

I closed down the last two, leaving one running, deleted the extra rcksum- files, which were in the correct working directory, and the process is still running ...

Code:
reading seed file /media/Elements/LinuxDownloads/DownloadedISOfiles/PhoenixOS2010/phoenixos010610.iso.official: ***********************************************************************************************************************snip*********************************************************************************************************************************************************Read /media/Elements/LinuxDownloads/DownloadedISOfiles/PhoenixOS2010/phoenixos010610.iso.official. Target 67.2% complete.
downloading from http://www.raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso:
#############------- 67.2%  Connection reset by peer
EOF from /phoenixos030410.iso
#############------- 67.2% 0.0 kBps aborted

failed to retrieve from phoenixos030410.iso


Not sure why it failed, but everything worked up to that point, with the one exception that the 'Process' button did not do anything until I clicked on the X 'close', then the Konsole windows opened and ran the zsync command.

I would suggest, rather than 'Process' and 'Finish' you have 'Start download' and 'Close Window' as I clicked on 'Finish' the first time thinking that this would finish inputting the command, but the window of course closed without doing anything.

I tried your suggestion to look at the script but I think I need to have the development version installed. When I looked at that Synaptic wanted to remove kommander and replace it with a number of other binaries, but I didn't proceed. I have opened the script in a text editor so I can see what is in there that way, any way. Doesn't mean a lot to me, though.

Hope this helps debug the system.

Not much activity on this forum. Anyone else testing this release?

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Ray on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:59 pm

PGTips91 wrote:
Hi Ray,

I am trying out your revised Zsync.kmdr in a LiveDVD session of PhoenixOS.

I had to install Kommander first, after allowing the necessary repository - Karmic Partner.

Next, I tried running by double-clicking on the Zsync.cmdr file, and saw a konsole window flash open the close. I wondered what was going on, then the penny dropped, I had to install zsync itself!

Did that, and got the GUI working, but still it would not start the process after I had entered all the data. Tried a couple of times, then clicked on the X close button and three Konsole windows opened running the zsync process.

I closed down the last two, leaving one running, deleted the extra rcksum- files, which were in the correct working directory, and the process is still running ...

Code:
reading seed file /media/Elements/LinuxDownloads/DownloadedISOfiles/PhoenixOS2010/phoenixos010610.iso.official: ***********************************************************************************************************************snip*********************************************************************************************************************************************************Read /media/Elements/LinuxDownloads/DownloadedISOfiles/PhoenixOS2010/phoenixos010610.iso.official. Target 67.2% complete.
downloading from http://www.raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso:
#############------- 67.2%  Connection reset by peer
EOF from /phoenixos030410.iso
#############------- 67.2% 0.0 kBps aborted

failed to retrieve from phoenixos030410.iso


Not sure why it failed, but everything worked up to that point, with the one exception that the 'Process' button did not do anything until I clicked on the X 'close', then the Konsole windows opened and ran the zsync command.

I would suggest, rather than 'Process' and 'Finish' you have 'Start download' and 'Close Window' as I clicked on 'Finish' the first time thinking that this would finish inputting the command, but the window of course closed without doing anything.

I tried your suggestion to look at the script but I think I need to have the development version installed. When I looked at that Synaptic wanted to remove kommander and replace it with a number of other binaries, but I didn't proceed. I have opened the script in a text editor so I can see what is in there that way, any way. Doesn't mean a lot to me, though.

Hope this helps debug the system.

Not much activity on this forum. Anyone else testing this release?

Paul
Paul,

I believe that you have a system setting wrong whereby a new konsole window opens in a new window BEHIND the current window, this would explain why you are getting the hidden konsole windows. Unfortunately I have been having some sata problems with my new computer - partially resolved and you wouldn't believe it when I turned on my klikit system which is my email and web browsing system this morning, lo and behold a Grub 15 error, and that's been about my day so far. I have backed up my email drive which is all that I'm worried about, now I have to decide what to install on it. Have tried a few Grub fixes but as usual none of them work. However I'll persevere, thank goodness for Puppy Linux. I'll make the recommended changes to the prompt names as soon as I get a linux computer again - hopefully later today.

Ray
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Ray wrote:
Paul,

I believe that you have a system setting wrong whereby a new konsole window opens in a new window BEHIND the current window, this would explain why you are getting the hidden konsole windows. Unfortunately I have been having some sata problems with my new computer - partially resolved and you wouldn't believe it when I turned on my klikit system which is my email and web browsing system this morning, lo and behold a Grub 15 error, and that's been about my day so far. I have backed up my email drive which is all that I'm worried about, now I have to decide what to install on it. Have tried a few Grub fixes but as usual none of them work. However I'll persevere, thank goodness for Puppy Linux. I'll make the recommended changes to the prompt names as soon as I get a linux computer again - hopefully later today.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Did you get back to this?

I have since discovered another tool for downloading large files safely and efficiently and have been trying it out with encouraging results. It is aria2 [aria2c is the application to run]. I have posted about this on the Linux Internationals forum, here, and have made a Wiki page about it here.

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum