PhoenixOS BlackHawk RC1 based on Precise LTS with 5 year support. KDE 4. Bug Report

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: PhoenixOS BlackHawk RC1 based on Precise LTS with 5 year support. KDE 4. Bug Report

Post  jpisini on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:45 am

So I have done a few installs in VMWare Workstation 8 and they have all completed fine. It could have something to do with underlying hardware but VMWare is not supposed to be affected by that. So far I have installed the latest version of PhoenixOS in VMWare 8 (haven't tried 9 yet it keeps asking to update, will do so soon), on an ATI based system and an older Nvidia based system. I don't have anything with Intel graphics. I can't replicate the issue what are you getting for an md5sum?
jpisini
Admin

View user profile http://cafecomputer.com

Back to top Go down

Re: PhoenixOS BlackHawk RC1 based on Precise LTS with 5 year support. KDE 4. Bug Report

Post  Ray on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:13 pm

jpisini wrote:So I have done a few installs in VMWare Workstation 8 and they have all completed fine. It could have something to do with underlying hardware but VMWare is not supposed to be affected by that. So far I have installed the latest version of PhoenixOS in VMWare 8 (haven't tried 9 yet it keeps asking to update, will do so soon), on an ATI based system and an older Nvidia based system. I don't have anything with Intel graphics. I can't replicate the issue what are you getting for an md5sum?

John,

I've now upgraded to Workstation 9 so I will try the install on this version. Were your installs done after the live dvd booted or from the boot menu, my failures were from the live dvd screen. I'll post the results.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:45 pm

I installed after boot from the desktop. I will try the other way if I have time tomorrow.
jpisini
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:54 pm

John,

What a bummer, just posted a reply which disappeared into the ether so I'll post again.

I got the same result with Workstation 9, it created the partitions for the system and then crashed. This was from the boot menu and after booting the live dvd. I have checked the md5 and it is different from the one that you gave me, so I am downloading again and will check the md5 against my original download. If they are the same I would suspect that the uploaded file is incorrect. Is there any way that I can check the md5 of the uploaded iso on my website.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:12 pm

John,

Just finished the download and obtained the correct md5 this time. Not sure what happened last time but it's a very strange occurrence when I get an incorrect md5 - which is why I very rarely check them - perhaps I need to change my attitude. I'll post about the install shortly.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:51 pm

John,

Installatioon went as normal, surprising what happens when you use a noncorrupted iso isn't it. This is being posted from the fresh install. Seems to be very snappy at a first glance. I'll add a few bits and pieces and see how it performs.

Thanks to both of you for the time/work that you've put in.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:41 am

Have added Thunderbird, Wally, Cairo Dock and updated the system successfully. The only problem that I have encountered so far is as follows:

Because of my eyesght I normally change the fonts to a standard one - Century Schoolbook - Bold Italic - size 12, there would appear to be a useful function to adjust all fonts rather than individually, however when I use the adjust all fonts option - no changes seem to occur although the fonts are listed as Century Schoolbook, however if I then go in and change the items individually the correct changes take effect. This is obviously not a major problem as it's easily fixed although it might be a bit confusing initially.

Great work on the system

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:27 am

Just a couple of points on the new release:

1. The Notification icon (orange balloon) when pressed displays as a message box containg English plus Arabicplus ... I presume that's not how it's supposed to be although it might not be a Phoenix problem.

2. I still can't get Opengl to work on my vm's but the alternative xpander? works ok so I'm happy.

These are the only problems I've come across so far but I'll keep digging.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:34 am

Another problem while trying to add one of my network printers the following screenshot shows the error www.rayblackwell.net/guest3/snapshot1.jpg
any ideas on how to fix.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:58 am

Good to hear. I did try from the boot menu and was successful. I hope you like it.
jpisini
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Ray wrote:Another problem while trying to add one of my network printers the following screenshot shows the error www.rayblackwell.net/guest3/snapshot1.jpg
any ideas on how to fix.

Ray

Thanks for letting us know all these things so we can help make the next release better. I love your desktop!

New release coming soon and thanks for letting us use your space.

Ray...
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:32 pm

JUst tried Google Earth which crashed as follows:

1. From menu - initialising started then terminated no message

2. Run google-earth in terminal and the following message occurred:

xlib extension "GLX" missing on display ":0" (multiple entries) followed by:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Google Earth has crashed.
This is a bug in the program, and should never happen under normal
circumstances. A bug report and debugging data have been written
to this text file:

This is on a Vmware Workstation 9 virtual machine with 3d graphics enabled.

Ray

This problem was fixed when I removed nvidia-settings and nvidia-current from my system as per John's post about one of my other problems. Apparently Google Earth needs Opengl to work, the alternate option xpander doesn't seem to work.

Ray

Last edited by Ray on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 pm

How do I increase the transparency of the bottom (my top) panel.

Ray

This problem was also solved by the solution to my Opengl problem - another one down

Last edited by Ray on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 pm

jpisini wrote:
Ray wrote:Ray,

Just a quick question, when activating Cairo dock with OpenGl, transparency is not available although it should be as far as I understand. While messing about I discovered the Compositing check in Settings - System Settings - Desktop Effects - Advavced and changed the compositing to Xrender and suddenly transparency was in effect on Cairo Dock, it did however deactivate a couple of other items.

Is there something amiss with the implementation of OpenGL in Phoenix as Opengl seems to be ok in other distros that I've tried. Just for information I am running Phoenix as a VM using Vmware Workstation 8 and it's pretty quick.

As another question before I go searching - is there anyway to get transparency in the normal panel.

Ray

Hi Ray,
I know it was a long time coming but I think I may have a fix. i ended up having a few issues with OpenGL and it turns out that Nvidia drivers had been installed on an earlier build and were causing issues. To fix I had to run the following
sudo apt-get remove nvidia-settings
sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
and then reboot.

I am currently building a new version that will have that built in as well as have the latest KDE 4.9 and LibreOffice 3.6. I hope to have this ready by next week, maybe right after the holiday.

John,

I have the same problem with the new release, I will take a snapshot and then try your fix, I'll post back the results.

Ray

John,

I removed the nvidia-settings and current, no xorg.conf present so I didn't reinstall xserver-xorg or reconfigure. After the reboot I changed from xpander to Opengl and my Cairo Dock worked with the correct transparency. Thanks mate, you're a godsend to us oldies.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:01 am

Wow Ray you certainly are giving us plenty of things to work on. We'll do our best to get this working for you.
jpisini
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:37 am

The problem with the Printer Configuration was also present in the initial PhoenixPrecise release which I have just tested to make sure. This is a real show stopper as they say.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:36 am

Ray wrote:The problem with the Printer Configuration was also present in the initial PhoenixPrecise release which I have just tested to make sure. This is a real show stopper as they say.

Ray

I am going to have to slow right down on this release until the Printer problem is resolved, it's quite impossible to keep logging out and then logging into another system just to print an order or an email. Sorry about that.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Ray wrote:
Ray wrote:The problem with the Printer Configuration was also present in the initial PhoenixPrecise release which I have just tested to make sure. This is a real show stopper as they say.

Ray

I am going to have to slow right down on this release until the Printer problem is resolved, it's quite impossible to keep logging out and then logging into another system just to print an order or an email. Sorry about that.

Ray

Sorry to hear this I am planning on looking into this but been crazy at home. My oldest just started back to college, my youngest 7th grade. My car broke down and I can't afford to fix it, and work is just crazy lately, there are only two of us left and we have a couple of large projects going on. My wife started new meds to fight the cancer and we find out Monday if they are working or not. I haven't stopped working on this just don't have the same time available as I did over the last few months. As soon as things calm down I will take another look it may be a few weeks though. So if you need to use another distro I won't be upset you have to use what works for you. Thanks for all the testing it makes Phoenix a better OS to have people that care enough to tell us what needs fixing.
jpisini
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:21 am

jpisini wrote:
Sorry to hear this I am planning on looking into this but been crazy at home. My oldest just started back to college, my youngest 7th grade. My car broke down and I can't afford to fix it, and work is just crazy lately, there are only two of us left and we have a couple of large projects going on. My wife started new meds to fight the cancer and we find out Monday if they are working or not. I haven't stopped working on this just don't have the same time available as I did over the last few months. As soon as things calm down I will take another look it may be a few weeks though. So if you need to use another distro I won't be upset you have to use what works for you. Thanks for all the testing it makes Phoenix a better OS to have people that care enough to tell us what needs fixing.

John,

There is absolutely no problem, look after the wife, your kids and yourself first and foremost, in the greater scheme of things my problems are piddling to say the least. However I have reached a ompromise solution for myself as follows (pm to Ray):

I have currently solved my problem (almost) to the point where I can use my Epson R230 printer. I used Synaptic to removed all the 'system-config-printer' items and then rebooted the system. At this point with these 3 programs removed I used the Epson R230 to print a small text file and then a page from the Gimp PDF Magazine with text and an image, both pages printed correctly. The same test on the Epson TX600FW printed garbage. The Epson R230 is a usb printer attached to the Win7 host machine, so as long as I can print it's back to the drawing board.

I will now reinstall the system-config-printer programs one at a time and test the results. I'll keep you posted on the results.

I'll post the results here as well.

My thoughts are with you and your wife at this time and I sincerely hope that ll will turn out well for you both.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:21 am

After removing the 3 system-config-printer items and successfully using one of my printers I then followed the following steps:

1. Added back the system-config-printer-common program via Synaptic. This process also added the system-config-printer-udev program.

2. After installation, printing via my Epson R230 was still functional although there was no method for adding any further printers to the mix.

3. I then added back the system-config-printer-kde program, this added the Printer Configuration process to the System Settings panel. Activating this caused the error as described in my earlier post which leaves no method of adding additional printers. However printing can still be completed using my Epson R230 usb printer so I'm ok.

This problem would appear to be the same as http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/763369 which has been in existence for quite some time, first noted for Kde 11.04. One presumes that some kind of fix will eventually come down the line.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:23 am

Another small problem that I have, when the notification icon (yellow balloon) is pressed the following occurs:

Notification Icon

How can I remove this from the panel or does the 'hide' button work the same way.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:30 am

I'll continue asking in this thread rather than splitting te queries all over the forum.

I can't seem to find the program to edit the menus, I'd like to check some of the menu entries for execution links because some of the programs, when added to my Cairo Dock, do not execute yet they execute correctly from the menus.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:53 am

Ray wrote:I'll continue asking in this thread rather than splitting te queries all over the forum.

I can't seem to find the program to edit the menus, I'd like to check some of the menu entries for execution links because some of the programs, when added to my Cairo Dock, do not execute yet they execute correctly from the menus.

Ray

You should be able to right click the start menu and choose edit menus. If it doesn't show up click the button in the upper right and choose unlock widgets it will appear then.

I will try to duplicate what you did with the printers in the next release.

I am not sure which button you clicked to get that black bar can you clarify?
jpisini
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:03 am

jpisini wrote:
Ray wrote:I'll continue asking in this thread rather than splitting te queries all over the forum.

Ray

You should be able to right click the start menu and choose edit menus. If it doesn't show up click the button in the upper right and choose unlock widgets it will appear then.

I will try to duplicate what you did with the printers in the next release.

I am not sure which button you clicked to get that black bar can you clarify?
John,

It's the yellow (on my system) Notification balloon in my top panel (normally the bottom panel). I'm waiting for it to appear again and then I'll try to hide future occurences. I seem to have clicked the Start menu a dozen times and never saw the Edit Applications button (probably because it didn't say Menus) better get some more sleep I think.

Thanks for the responses.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Just a quick question this time.

I have been playing around with Superkaramba over the last couple of days and am progressing reasonably well, albeit struggling at times with 'sed' 'awk' and other strange stuff, and it has thrown up a few strange figures. As you will probably remember I am running Phoenix as a vm using Vmware Workstation 9 and my Superkaramba shows that memory usage is running at 50+% although there is basically nothing running on the machine, Top confirms this figure but only details that some 20% is being used by running processes, the question finally:

Any ideas why there is a discrepancy between the usage and running processes memory figures.

Ray

I think I've resolved this, the initial system uses some 650-700mb ram so perhaps it's not a major problem. Anyway I've now upped my vm's memory to 4GB so that should be enough to keep it working.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top