PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Windows 8 pro Empty Windows 8 pro

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 am
I recently purchased Windows 8 Pro upgrade (32 bit) download for $39.95. Runs pretty good on my HP Pavilion desktop mini tower which is at least 5 years old.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 (Gnome) on my Dell mini 9 netbook.

Bob

jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Windows 8 pro Empty Re: Windows 8 pro

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:31 pm
I have been testing Windows 8 for work and I am not impressed the GUI is split and the two halves don't mesh. I will say it is faster than Windows 7 but after using it for several days I wouldn't migrate to it for my own use. I can do anything in 8 that I can do in 7 with only double the steps.
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:46 pm
jpisini wrote:I have been testing Windows 8 for work and I am not impressed the GUI is split and the two halves don't mesh. I will say it is faster than Windows 7 but after using it for several days I wouldn't migrate to it for my own use. I can do anything in 8 that I can do in 7 with only double the steps.

Tekmate,

I always run the latest version of Windows so I can give tech support to my family and friends when they buy new machines. I agree there is no real reason to move from Windows 7.

Bob
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:44 am
I stopped doing free support. It is not that I don't like my family but they all live too far away. My wife's family lives close but honestly they don't appreciate the work so no reason to do it. The last free job I did the guy begged me so I told him I would look at it but i was busy and it would be at least a week before I could get to it. I told him if that was fine drop it off whenever. he dropped it off that night the next day he called twice to see if it was ready. I put it in the car drove over left it on his porch, rang the bell and walked away. Last free job I did. My oldest daughter went away to school so I payed the extra for full warranty if someone spills something on it free repairs, dropped free repairs.... So worth it rather than trying to get her running remotely when she has a paper due. I have her use the schools shop for software issues too so I don't have to deal with problems at 2AM ( I am grumpy then )
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:41 am
jpisini wrote:I stopped doing free support. It is not that I don't like my family but they all live too far away. My wife's family lives close but honestly they don't appreciate the work so no reason to do it. The last free job I did the guy begged me so I told him I would look at it but i was busy and it would be at least a week before I could get to it. I told him if that was fine drop it off whenever. he dropped it off that night the next day he called twice to see if it was ready. I put it in the car drove over left it on his porch, rang the bell and walked away. Last free job I did. My oldest daughter went away to school so I payed the extra for full warranty if someone spills something on it free repairs, dropped free repairs.... So worth it rather than trying to get her running remotely when she has a paper due. I have her use the schools shop for software issues too so I don't have to deal with problems at 2AM ( I am grumpy then )

I hear you brother ! I normally direct them to the OEM or Retailer to check if it's under warranty. I only fix simple laptop hardware problems (provided they will pay for the parts). Motherboards on laptops are too time consuming. Also by friends and family I only help close ones. I don't encourage anybody to call me. I'm retired ! Smile

Bob
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum