inkjet printers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

inkjet printers

Post  Lonewolf on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Can anyone recommend printer that uses separate color ink cartridges, has above average print quality, and 'just works' with PhoenixOS?

Lonewolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: inkjet printers

Post  Ray on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Lonewolf wrote:Can anyone recommend printer that uses separate color ink cartridges, has above average print quality, and 'just works' with PhoenixOS?

Since no one else has answered my experience has been with Epson printers, I've had an Epson R230  and an Epson TX600FW running without problems on Phoenix and several other distros with no problems. All the latest distros seem to pick up these, I'm about to hook up a new Canon Pixma MG5460 - been sitting around for a month since I bought it for cd label printing after my Epson R230 gave up the ghost and just stopped pronting. I don't have Phoenix running but I'll check it out on my Solydx system and post.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:01 pm

Lonewolf wrote:Can anyone recommend printer that uses separate color ink cartridges, has above average print quality, and 'just works' with PhoenixOS?

I'm with Ray on this. We use Epson printers, they work good with PhoenixOS. The Workforce all in ones are nice and very inexpensive and have individual cartriges.

Brother is good as well, but if I had to choose it be Epson.

Ray (PhoenixOS Creator)
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Ray wrote:

Since no one else has answered my experience has been with Epson printers, I've had an Epson R230  and an Epson TX600FW running without problems on Phoenix and several other distros with no problems. All the latest distros seem to pick up these, I'm about to hook up a new Canon Pixma MG5460 - been sitting around for a month since I bought it for cd label printing after my Epson R230 gave up the ghost and just stopped pronting. I don't have Phoenix running but I'll check it out on my Solydx system and post.

Ray
As a followup with this, on my Epson TX600FW I use a CISS (continuous ink supply system) and apart from the minor inconvenience of occassionally having to reset the ink system (a simple press of pushing a lever) it works incredibly well. These systems are available for most printers and reduce ink costs by some 90%.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:05 pm

Ray wrote:
Ray wrote:

Ray
As a followup with this, on my Epson TX600FW I use a CISS (continuous ink supply system) and apart from the minor inconvenience of occassionally having to reset the ink system (a simple press of pushing a lever) it works incredibly well. These systems are available for most printers and reduce ink costs by some 90%.

Ray

Yup, I have never personally tried it; but my friend who has a Graphic Printing shop uses that all the time with his Epson and like you said: saves him ton of money.
The only gripe he has is the ink monitor is inaccurate, but heck you can just look at the container the ink is stored and usually can see the shading of where the ink is.

Ray...
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lonewolf on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:12 pm

[quote="Ray"]

Ray[/quote

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately neither the two Epson models nor the Canon Pixma MG5460 look to be available in this country...not even my legacy device suppliers can find any. I'll keep them on my watch-list, but finding one is looking doubtful.

What was the level of difficulty in setup of these three printers to work with PhoenixOS? Heard lots of horror stories about both brands being a beast to conform to Linux, such as:

http://www.lbsharp.com/wordpress/index.php/2009/11/21/setting-up-a-canon-mx860-printer-on-a-64-bit-linux-system/

Being a newbie to Linux, I really do require printer to 'just work', as the prospect of compiling code, doing kernel modds, etc, is not attractive.

Lonewolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lonewolf on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Admin wrote:
I'm with Ray on this.  We use Epson printers, they work good with PhoenixOS.   The Workforce all in ones are nice and very inexpensive and have individual cartriges.

Ray (PhoenixOS Creator)
Did a quickie Google search on Epson Workforce, and looks to be available in America. Please advise which models you're using, and how difficult each was to setup for PhoenixOS.

Lonewolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Lonewolf wrote:
Admin wrote:
I'm with Ray on this.  We use Epson printers, they work good with PhoenixOS.   The Workforce all in ones are nice and very inexpensive and have individual cartriges.

Ray (PhoenixOS Creator)
Did a quickie Google search on Epson Workforce, and looks to be available in America. Please advise which models you're using, and how difficult each was to setup for PhoenixOS.
i
I was just about to reply that the TX600FW is one of the Workforce series, not sure which one though, but mine is the all in one with fax, scan, copy, sd cards etc. For all normal stuff it was just adding it as a network printer and selecting the model. One thing I haven't tried though is scanning as I normally do that through a windows machine.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Lonewolf wrote:
Admin wrote:

Ray (PhoenixOS Creator)
I use the workforce 635, it was very easy to use. Plugged it in, turn it on, booted up phoenixos, and it was automatically installed. Printer is an all in one, and very affordable.

Ray.. (PhoenixOS Creator)
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lonewolf on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Ray wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:
Admin wrote:

Ray (PhoenixOS Creator)
i
I was just about to reply that the TX600FW is one of the Workforce series, not sure which one though, but mine is the all in one with fax, scan, copy, sd cards etc. For all normal stuff it was just adding it as a network printer and selecting the model. One thing I haven't tried though is scanning as I normally do that through a windows machine.

Ray
According to Google, only the ink for Epson Workforce TX600FW is available here, so I'm still looking for model that will 'just work'...anyone know if Epson WF7010 will 'play nice' with PhoenixOS?

Lonewolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Lonewolf wrote:
Ray wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:
Admin wrote:

Ray (PhoenixOS Creator)
i

Ray
According to Google, only the ink for Epson Workforce TX600FW is available here, so I'm still looking for model that will 'just work'...anyone know if Epson WF7010 will 'play nice' with PhoenixOS?
Where are you located? Workforce 635 ink is available at staples/officedepot/walmart/walgreens/sams: hope that helps.

Ray
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top