nvidia driver

View previous topic View next topic Go down

nvidia driver

Post  Deffi on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:28 pm

I reported that I was having trouble configuring the nvidia driver. At reboot I was put into a loop which showed a parsing error in the configuration file. I have found no way to correctly configure the file. I put this down to me though the same driver was working on the hardy version on the same machine. Today I installed Ubuntu 9.10 which came with this month's magazine. The nvidia driver installed, configured and worked like a dream. So it works on Karmic but not on Karmic Phoenix on my machine.

David
Deffi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: nvidia driver

Post  Admin on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Deffi wrote:I reported that I was having trouble configuring the nvidia driver. At reboot I was put into a loop which showed a parsing error in the configuration file. I have found no way to correctly configure the file. I put this down to me though the same driver was working on the hardy version on the same machine. Today I installed Ubuntu 9.10 which came with this month's magazine. The nvidia driver installed, configured and worked like a dream. So it works on Karmic but not on Karmic Phoenix on my machine.

David

Odd, I will make sure next iso has latest karmic in it; maybe there was an update that I was not aware of. Thanks for letting me know.

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Deffi on Mon May 17, 2010 10:43 am

I think I have finally nailed down my Nvidia driver problems.

With Flamehawk, in the end it was easy. I copied the missing lines in the xorg.conf file from the previous version to the latest and it is working. I do not have the skills to check but it looks as if the configuration fails or is not initiated. I say this because of the work in progress with Stealth. There is no Nvidia menu entry as Nvidia post to xorg.conf with Flamehawk (Hardy).

I finally did get stealth working fully with the correct driver but I lost the OS installation for other reasons. Again the problem is one of configuration. As things are the Nvidia-configuration tool does not open and function. I used 2 methods of installing the correct driver from source, in both senses. I used sgfxi and the debian way from pen drive linux. Both download the files from a NVIDIA website They appear to be similar with the steps in sgfxi automatic. It now appears to restart x at the end now. Both these programs set up the configuration file which appears in the system menu. The tool recognizes my card and monitor as it has done in the past

I have reinstalled stealth many times now and it needs a lot of updates. I use apt-get initially, because I find it the quickest and most accurate. It leaves the header etc updates saying there is an error. Adept shows that updating is not complete and performs the last six updates. Not using apt-get first I have had to use apt, adept and synaptic to complete all updates. I do not know if this is why I am getting inconsistent behaviour.

The random behaviour is when I Ctrl Alt F1 or /etc/init.d/kdm. I sometimes am told that x is still running, which stops the program or that I am not in root. Please how do you get to root in CLI. I log in as bob with intel but I cannot run in root. In terminal su or sudo works. It asks for bob's password but it does not work in CLI. Concentrating on other things I have managed it but do not know how. Other OS's seem to have different permissions and if I start as root in terminal I appear to be in root in cli. I sailed through the same operations in Debian and Mepis.

David
Deffi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LinuXFroG on Sat May 29, 2010 10:36 am

I also had issues regarding my nVida card on several distros, Since I am waiting to test the newest build I have not tried any builds yet. But it is a driver issue with nVidia and damn near ALL *buntos at this point. A left over so to speak from the parent OS. Just my .

Edit:
If there is no actual "root" acct, forget using CLI as root.
LinuXFroG

View user profile http://froggyslinks.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Sat May 29, 2010 9:54 pm

if you want full root access just type sudo su at the command prompt and put in your password. You can then type passwd and you have a fully functioning root user.
jpisini
Admin

View user profile http://cafecomputer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LinuXFroG on Sat May 29, 2010 9:58 pm

jpisini wrote:if you want full root access just type sudo su at the command prompt and put in your password. You can then type passwd and you have a fully functioning root user.

Forgot about that one. Still works in Lucid. Thanx!
LinuXFroG

View user profile http://froggyslinks.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top