PhoenixOS Poll for Future

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PhoenixOS Poll for Future

Post  Admin on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:33 am

Ok I promised you I would take a poll, and let use the users vote.  However; I have not been able to find the poll software in this forum.  In the meantime, these are the choices.

1)  Keep PhoenixOS alive for 3 more months and if donations come in and more volunteers come in; keep everything the same.

2)  Shutdown PhoenixOS including the forums and it remains exclusively to R.A.C. Computers Customers.

The choice is yours: I used to be able to keep this going out my personal funds; but too many people have taken advantage of my generosity.  I have paid hundreds in postage/discs mailing out to PhoenixOS users and was never reimbursed one penny.  I even had a few call our store for technical support and helped them and received no donations after spending 4 hours on the phone walking them thru every step.  I just received a bill from hosting 100.00: I can't keep funding this on my own.  I have a family to support just like everyone else and I do not have a team of workers helping me with this like Linspire did.  We had an opportunity to buy the Linspire name and the Linspire.com url; but due to lack of funds here I had to turn it down.  Probably just as well, PhoenixOS in Florida is pretty well known thru companies/nonprofit organizations/ and schools: so changing it to Linspire would probably do more harm than good.

Make a quick post here which option you like.  I will keep the Poll open for a week.  If no votes are received, I will default to option 2.

Ray...
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: PhoenixOS Poll for Future

Post  Ray on Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Admin wrote:Ok I promised you I would take a poll, and let use the users vote.  However; I have not been able to find the poll software in this forum.  In the meantime, these are the choices.

1)  Keep PhoenixOS alive for 3 more months and if donations come in and more volunteers come in; keep everything the same.

2)  Shutdown PhoenixOS including the forums and it remains exclusively to R.A.C. Computers Customers.

The choice is yours: I used to be able to keep this going out my personal funds; but too many people have taken advantage of my generosity.  I have paid hundreds in postage/discs mailing out to PhoenixOS users and was never reimbursed one penny.  I even had a few call our store for technical support and helped them and received no donations after spending 4 hours on the phone walking them thru every step.  I just received a bill from hosting 100.00: I can't keep funding this on my own.  I have a family to support just like everyone else and I do not have a team of workers helping me with this like Linspire did.  We had an opportunity to buy the Linspire name and the Linspire.com url; but due to lack of funds here I had to turn it down.  Probably just as well, PhoenixOS in Florida is pretty well known thru companies/nonprofit organizations/ and schools: so changing it to Linspire would probably do more harm than good.

Make a quick post here which option you like.  I will keep the Poll open for a week.  If no votes are received, I will default to option 2.

Ray...

Ray,

I think that your best option would be no 2. The amaont of time required to continue producing a distro like Phoenix is really a full time job in itself and cannot be maintained on an ongoing basis while you have a normal life to lead. It's been an interesting journey but now would be a good time to concentrate on your family and work. All the best to you and your family.

Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:22 pm

I think the fact that no donations, or volunteers coming thru or even participants in the poll pretty much ends the era for PhoenixOS free version.

Effective April 1st, 2015. PhoenixOS will become a commercial product and will no longer be distributed for free.

I am sorry that I have to go this route, but this is the only way I can keep the PhoenixOS development going without going broke.

Stay tuned for news on next release!

Ray..
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bobd13045 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Ray,

Wishing you all the very best. I have been running Linux Mint for a number of years now. Thanks for all your efforts.

good luck fellow old Spire,

Bob
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Would Like To See It Continue

Post  RevJack on Sun May 17, 2015 1:02 am

I haven't been on here lately because life happens, but I would like to see this distro continue.

Last edited by RevJack on Sun May 17, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
RevJack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobd13045 on Sun May 17, 2015 8:45 am

Admin wrote:Ok I promised you I would take a poll, and let use the users vote.  However; I have not been able to find the poll software in this forum.  In the meantime, these are the choices.

Ray...

Option 2. Thanks for your efforts Ray.

Bob
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down