Manjaro Linux

Go down

Manjaro Linux

Post  hqlinux on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:49 am

WOWZA... A ROLLING RELEASE DEVELOPMENT MODEL OF LINUX NOW AVAILABLE....

As some of you know, I like using Linux operating systems  Shocked   Laughing . They are infinitely more secure than ANY flavor of Windows, and you don't have to worry about viruses, malware, spyware, worms, trojan horses, etc., etc., etc.

Anyhow, I have discovered Manjaro. It comes in KDE, GNOME, XFCE (my personal favorite, and the one that I use), and ARCHITECT (not for rookies or the faint of heart), plus various "community versions" (Cinnamon, Mate, LXDE, Openbox, i3, etc.) and mini versions of most...

I have an old Gateway laptop (model S-7410M) which I purchased back in 2010. It has Windows XP Pro on it, to give you a clue. Anyway... you can download anyone or all of these versions of Manjaro for FREE, burn the .iso as an image, boot from the dvd, and run the Manjaro operating system via a "live-cd" which means that you can play around with it, make sure that it recognizes your hardware, see what it has to offer, (includes Libre Office, a COMPLETE office suite), and try out various items and programs, but IT DOESN'T TOUCH your hard drive. Some things require for you to type in a password even in the "live" version, believe it or not... I tried... root, sudo, superuser, guest, su superuser, admin and several others... To my chagrin, and my patience running MIGHTY THIN, NONE of them worked. I even read the install notes, wiki, and blog posts to no avail... Want to know what the password is??? I finally just tried,,, wait for it.... manjaro SUCCESS... What a deal... Would it kill them to post that little gem of knowledge somewhere??? Anyway, it works, and I LIKEY A LOT !!!!!

I just tried it on my old laptop and it worked like a CHAMP. I was even able to run my wireless connection from my laptop. Manjaro discovered all of the laptops hardware, loaded the necessary drivers, and I was surfing the net WORRY FREE as no MALWARE can penetrate running from the laptop memory and dvd. HOW COOL IS THAT???

Long story short, I am now deciding whether I want to install this alongside XP, or pull off all of my files to a usb disk, and just let Manjaro have the whole hard drive. Decisions, decisions... LOL

Manjaro uses a rolling release development model, which I think is an AWESOME idea...

" Rolling Release
Manjaro uses a Rolling Release Development Model, whereby rather than being replaced, the same core system will instead be continually updated and upgraded. As such, it is not – nor will it ever be – necessary to re-install a later release of Manjaro in order to enjoy the very latest and most up-to-date system possible. By virtue of keeping an existing installation updated, it is already the latest release. "

MANJARO.ORG
Manjaro Linux
Manjaro Linux is a new linux distribution which is based on arch linux

hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Manjaro Linux

Post  Admin on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:02 am

If its that great Id say back up your files and get rid of windows and keep the whole drive for it. I have to try it; after all to impress you, it must kick butt. Been a long time since I tried a release that impressed me. Very Happy
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:40 am

Admin wrote:If its that great Id say back up your files and get rid of windows and keep the whole drive for it.  I have to try it; after all to impress you, it must kick butt.  Been a long time since I tried a release that impressed me.  Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I decided to dual install since I couldn't find a video player that would play the Sunday School DVD that we use. I tried several programs, all to no avail. I found SMPlayer which would play my Top Gun dvd, but I do need the capability to play the Sunday School dvd if needed.

Let me know what you think, Ray. What about the rolling release model? That seems like the cat's meow... always up to date, and no having to install new versions, and go through all the setup hassles and data migration...

Harvey

hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum