ChomeOS Plus

Go down

ChomeOS Plus

Post  Admin on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:37 am

Has anyone tried one of these ChromeOS Plus tablet/laptop from Samsung? Its pretty impressive. Very fast and the OS is remarkably like PhoenixOS/Linspire: I am liking it. I hope its here to stay. I am tempted to switch from Kubuntu base to ChromeOS base for PhoenixOS, but I would have to see if they allow that. I gotta say they have come a long way since the last time I tested it!

Ray
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ChomeOS Plus

Post  hqlinux on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:17 am

I have never looked into it. I have a few questions and concerns though...

1. Do you have to be online to do your computing?

2. Since this is google... I don't TRUST them as far as I could spit into a hurricane.

3. I don't like being tracked, and they do that...

Not my cup of tea, sorry...

hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 am

hqlinux wrote:I have never looked into it. I have a few questions and concerns though...

1. Do you have to be online to do your computing?

2. Since this is google... I don't TRUST them as far as I could spit into a hurricane.

3. I don't like being tracked, and they do that...

Not my cup of tea, sorry...

You do not have to be online; as you can use the playstore to get apps that work offline.

Google impressed me, they actually have an option during installation that you can uncheck that will not track or send information, but you have to physically uncheck that box during setup.

I agree with you, if they ever required me to be tracked, I would not go for it either. Linux is about Power, Simplicity and freedom of choice, once you take away freedom of choice it becomes like Microsoft!

Ray....
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:00 pm

I still don't trust them, check box or not.

Also, I want to be able to use my laptop without having to be online, and I want to keep my files on MY harddrive.

Just my two cents... LOL Very Happy

hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brotherleroy on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:33 pm

I haven't tried it... yet.

I've been hoping for an affordable Chrome Tablet for some time now, the first review I read a couple weeks ago was not too praiseworthy unfortunately.

I'm not in the market for one yet, maybe next year, but I'll keep my eyes on that project.

All of that aside, I have been thinking of getting a Chromebook when my Macbook Pro finally dies. I don't like the direction Apple's hardware has been going, and I prefer my Linux machines anyway. It's currently split between buying a Dell with Ubuntu or buying a Chrome book at the moment.

Still running OpenSuse on my tower and waiting to install Phoenix OS or even the new Linspire/Freespire on my old Macbook Pro.

Sadly I just gave away my old HP test laptop. It went to my daughter, she is happily running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on it with zero issues. Made me laugh because her mother didn't want her running Linux for some weird reason. Also odd, Ubuntu Mate was the only linux distro that worked out of the box with wireless. Odd because the last time I did an install on it only Elementary worked on install, and now it won't.

Last note: I don't know to what degree you can add/change things with Chromium OS. I would be interested if this is something that can be modified like a more traditional Linux distribution. I know with Chromium OS you can save locally and work off the desktop not required to save or run off the web. That said I would like this as it is the only "true" Google Drive integrated solution with Linux.

brotherleroy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.C on Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:08 pm

hqlinux wrote:I still don't trust them, check box or not.

Also, I want to be able to use my laptop without having to be online, and I want to keep my files on MY harddrive.

Just my two cents... LOL Very Happy

I tend to agree with hqlinux. That is what Microsoft stated about Windows 10 and we all know that was a big lie. Google is all about making money and selling information on its customers (users). Just because you check the box doesn't mean they are not collecting information. Don't trust them and never will.
Dr.C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ChromeOS Plus

Post  Admin on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:56 am

I tested a ChromeOS Plus tablet and I was amazed, they have made changes. You can now save to your hard drive, or microsdhc card, that to me was a bonus. This way if I choose, I can have it on google drive and on my hard drive. The os now has full Playstore, all my android apps now work with Google ChromeOS. The part that I liked even more, is if when you set up a android phone or tablet it asked you if you wanted it backed up, if you use that same google account you can choose to restore all your apps instead of hunting them all down again: makes it much easier to get backup when replacing a tablet/laptop. Samsung has done an outstanding job, if money permits: I may buy one and do all future PhoenixOS development on this machine, as its much faster and would make my job easier.

Ray..
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 am

That's all well and good Ray.

HOWEVER... I don't trust google any further than I could spit into a hurricane. Their privacy violations are MUCH worse than our "beloved" microsoft, and they are SPINELESS WIMPS bu kowtowing to the Chinese by censoring their "search engine".

I want NO PART OF GOOGLE... NO WAY, NO HOW...

Use this as your search engine instead... (they don't track you):

www.duckduckgo.com

hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:24 am

Harvey have you been using that search engine for a while? I have been looking for a safe alternative for google, so that the people who dont like google will feel comfortable, and at the same time appeal to everyone. I might make that the defaut search engine in the browsers included in PhoenixOS.

Ray..
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:50 am

Ray,

Yes I have. For a couple of years (or so) . VERY accurate, gives good results.

Try it, you'll like it. I use it EXCLUSIVELY, both in the Windows world and in the Linux world.

My wife LOVES her iPad, so she uses it in the Apple world as well... (It is not OS centric, it works with any).

I use it with Firefox, Opera, and on the EXTREMELY rare occasion I use it with Internet Explorer in Win 7 and Edge in Win 10. I have changed ALL of the browsers to use duckduckgo as the default search engine.

Harvey

hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.C on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:13 pm

hqlinux wrote:That's all well and good Ray.

HOWEVER... I don't trust google any further than I could spit into a hurricane. Their privacy violations are MUCH worse than our "beloved" microsoft, and they are SPINELESS WIMPS bu kowtowing to the Chinese by censoring their "search engine".

I want NO PART OF GOOGLE... NO WAY, NO HOW...

Use this as your search engine instead... (they don't track you):

www.duckduckgo.com

DuckDuckgo is the search engine I've been using for the past five plus years. They are really good. Really like the returned results. Much better then Google.
Dr.C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum