Kubuntu 10.04

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kubuntu 10.04

Post  Deffi on Sun May 02, 2010 8:54 am

Have, I hope, finally sorted out issues with my broadband provider. I am connected again.

Out of interest I tried to take a look at the the KDE version of Lucid Lynx. I obtained a good download and burn of Kubuntu 10.04, so attempted an install.

Firstly, I chose a live install. All seemed to be going well until I needed to use the mouse. The mouse was frozen. After pressing buttons on keyboard and mouse station, the station started to receive a signal again but the cursor remained frozen. I used the inbuilt disc check that is an install menu option and was told everything was ok - I tried a full install but again was stopped by the non action of the mouse. There was no opportunity to check the keyboard. I rebooted my normal OS and reset the mouse and keyboard radio connections and all is fine.

I find it odd that an all be it cheapish keyboard/mouse system has worked with all OS's that have been thrown at it until the latest Kubuntu. Everything from Slackware onwards - I have not tried Fedora or SUSE yet though I have had the opportunity.

David
Deffi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kubuntu 10.04

Post  StanTheMan on Mon May 03, 2010 6:38 pm

I installed a daily build a week ago and found some glitches in the display. But I see they now have a release out on Apr 29. I am now downloading in Torrent.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/10.04/

StanTheMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deffi on Tue May 04, 2010 1:49 am

I think that latest was the one I downloaded but I will check and get back.

David

I downloaded on the first of May from the Kubuntu site so I must assume that it was the 29th April release. In future I will note the release date if available. It will be interesting if you get the same glitch. The cursor froze immediately on live install and full install. It may only be with wire free mice, but that would be illogical as the radio connexion has nothing to do with the OS, it is between the mouse and its station.
Deffi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue May 04, 2010 9:47 am

Deffi wrote:I think that latest was the one I downloaded but I will check and get back.

David

I downloaded on the first of May from the Kubuntu site so I must assume that it was the 29th April release. In future I will note the release date if available. It will be interesting if you get the same glitch. The cursor froze immediately on live install and full install. It may only be with wire free mice, but that would be illogical as the radio connexion has nothing to do with the OS, it is between the mouse and its station.

I got the same glitch here Sad . When I am done with Flamehawk final and Stealth Final; I will look into this. I may have also found the nvidia problem you mentioned Deffi, could you test Flamehawk, that I uploaded yesterday and let me know if it works for you:

Remember these tips:

1) Password amd

2) Do sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-get upgrade

3) Check Nvidia in restricted-manager if it isn't already picked; at that point
it should start downloading nvidia packages and install.

4) reboot

Good Luck !

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Deffi on Tue May 04, 2010 11:54 am

I am testing at the moment and I have problems. I am thankful that I put it on a fresh partition and not over the earlier version. I now have a similar problem to the one with Stelth. I say similar not the same because I do not get an error message but that I must manually configure the configuration file and then tells me that displayconfig-gtk is not installed but needed. I have started again and installed that displayconfig-gtk. I got no messages but a chance to configure but it left me in low graphics even after rebooting. I will be trying other approaches which will take time and patience. Everything else appears ok.

David
Deffi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue May 04, 2010 2:48 pm

Deffi wrote:I am testing at the moment and I have problems. I am thankful that I put it on a fresh partition and not over the earlier version. I now have a similar problem to the one with Stelth. I say similar not the same because I do not get an error message but that I must manually configure the configuration file and then tells me that displayconfig-gtk is not installed but needed. I have started again and installed that displayconfig-gtk. I got no messages but a chance to configure but it left me in low graphics even after rebooting. I will be trying other approaches which will take time and patience. Everything else appears ok.

David

Makes me wonder if its the nvidia driver, perhaps reverting to an older version of nvidia driver like used in older flamehawk; will check into this. Thanks for the update.

Ray
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  StanTheMan on Tue May 04, 2010 11:47 pm

I now have the Kubuntu 10.04 alternate amnd64 up and running.
Installation went normal.
The desktop appearance is very difficult to set up , poor color scheme and the Panel bar color is very difficult to read. M monitor is 1660 x 1050 and I prefer a smaller definition and there is no good setting and NVidia drivers seem to nt be working. If I reduce the definition size it will not save but goes back to full size on next reboot. My mouse cursor works okay.

On my machine I also have installed the latest release of Ubuntu 10.04 and its display settings and colors are a pleasure. It has Gnome.

StanTheMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum