Early Release Today

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Early Release Today

Post  Admin on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 am

Admin wrote:Beta PhoenixOS Flamehawk: Lucid with KDE3 will be released today if all goes well for testing.

There were numerous problems with this release: I ran into the same problems I ran into when developing Linspire 7: Dependency hell.
For starters: Gimp was dropped for some reason from ubuntu/kubuntu so had to get all the libs and patches to make Gimp install successfully. Limewire same problem, had to patch and update libs to get install 100%. DvdShrink, for some reason installed kde4 version, finally found the kde3 version patched, now works 100%. Firefox, whooo that was another thorn in my side; it would install but wouldn't run again patching and updating source list. Java, oh my goodness another thorn in side for some reason they went with icetea opensdk or whatever its called instead of Java; problem with that is a lot of things dont work with that, so removed all that and installed Java manually and added symetric links, so it would work properly and added mozilla plugin.
Then getdeb.net was down thru this whole process so had to compile from source a lot of these packages to give updated versions, that otherwise would normally come from getdeb. This was my whole weekend!

Whew! Now we have a release that works; lucid was a bit of a challenge over previous versions, a bit like Jaunty was but worse.

Well enjoy the fruits of my labor hehehehe, and please forward all beta reports via pm here in the forums; thanks!

I will be posting link, once upload is finished: sometime this afternoon (eastern time).

Ray Very Happy

P.S. Lucid now uses Plymouth which is a tad different then Usplash, as a result: Ran out of time, so put a generic ubuntu boot splash screen; on bad side doesn't Have PhoenixOS Logo, on good side: cuz its very basic, boot time is faster!
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oponium on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:11 am

Admin wrote:
Admin wrote:Beta PhoenixOS Flamehawk: Lucid with KDE3 will be released today if all goes well for testing.

There were numerous problems with this release: I ran into the same problems I ran into when developing Linspire 7: Dependency hell.
For starters: Gimp was dropped for some reason from ubuntu/kubuntu so had to get all the libs and patches to make Gimp install successfully. Limewire same problem, had to patch and update libs to get install 100%. DvdShrink, for some reason installed kde4 version, finally found the kde3 version patched, now works 100%. Firefox, whooo that was another thorn in my side; it would install but wouldn't run again patching and updating source list. Java, oh my goodness another thorn in side for some reason they went with icetea opensdk or whatever its called instead of Java; problem with that is a lot of things dont work with that, so removed all that and installed Java manually and added symetric links, so it would work properly and added mozilla plugin.
Then getdeb.net was down thru this whole process so had to compile from source a lot of these packages to give updated versions, that otherwise would normally come from getdeb. This was my whole weekend!

Whew! Now we have a release that works; lucid was a bit of a challenge over previous versions, a bit like Jaunty was but worse.

Well enjoy the fruits of my labor hehehehe, and please forward all beta reports via pm here in the forums; thanks!

I will be posting link, once upload is finished: sometime this afternoon (eastern time).

Ray Very Happy

P.S. Lucid now uses Plymouth which is a tad different then Usplash, as a result: Ran out of time, so put a generic ubuntu boot splash screen; on bad side doesn't Have PhoenixOS Logo, on good side: cuz its very basic, boot time is faster!
GIMP:

sudo apt-get install gimp

java:

add partner repository and sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

come on man..

Oponium

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Oponium wrote:
Admin wrote:

Ray Very Happy

GIMP:

sudo apt-get install gimp

java:

add partner repository and sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

come on man..

Already fixed all that, read the post.

Just a note your tips wont work, I got confirmation from cannotical that gimp was dropped to save space on their iso, already got a workaround for it. If you had just typed sudo apt-get install gimp it would install gimp2.6 which will not run on lucid.
As for java found easier way as outlined above.

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LinuXFroG on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:48 am

Admin wrote:

Just a note your tips wont work, I got confirmation from cannotical that gimp was dropped to save space on their iso, already got a workaround for it. If you had just typed sudo apt-get install gimp it would install gimp2.6 which will not run on lucid.

Ray Very Happy

Actually, I was running Lucid and Gimp2.6 DOES run on it. I had no issues. The only issue I ran into with Lucid, was the fact if ya install the restricted extras, it autmatically installs icedtea plugin and openjava. Both of which are a joke and don't work on most java based sites.

Also Ubuntu One is total FUBAR. It calls home more often the microscrap OSes.
LinuXFroG

View user profile http://froggyslinks.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:13 am

LinuXFroG wrote:
Admin wrote:

Ray Very Happy

Actually, I was running Lucid and Gimp2.6 DOES run on it. I had no issues. The only issue I ran into with Lucid, was the fact if ya install the restricted extras, it autmatically installs icedtea plugin and openjava. Both of which are a joke and don't work on most java based sites.

Also Ubuntu One is total FUBAR. It calls home more often the microscrap OSes.

Wow didnt work here, but I fixed it, and this release has gimp 2.7.1. Yeah icetea and openjava suck, too many compatibility problems, so the REAL Java is installed in this version.

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top