PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Deffi
Deffi

Father's Day Release - Page 3 Empty Re: Father's Day Release

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:43 pm
I have tried to manually set up the internet connexion without success. I have checked my other installs and the numbers are the same. I tried to install the latest Kubuntu , because it was at hand and I had the same problem. The kubuntu was a KDE4 version , but I have Debian testing and Mepis 8.5 and they connect. As I have stated, the system tray 'entry' shows active, so it appears that the problem rests with ubuntu 10.04. I do have Phoenix hardy running (main).

The protocol is DHCP. I don't know if there is choice these days. It has shades of WIN 98 when I set up my wife's computer some years ago.

David

Last edited by Deffi on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:13 pm
I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04 AMD-64 on my new computer on a new rack. In a word...WOW... Cool Cool Cool

Say what you want about Ubuntu, but it just plain works. I was even able to access my RAID 1 array and copy all the files off of the array to my Ubuntu hard drive rack... VERY COOL Cool Cool Cool Makes me wonder why I can't access the array using PhoenixOS, especially since it is Ubuntu based. Any ideas as to why???

Ubuntu is definitely a KEEPER... Wink Smile cheers I am even liking Gnome better and better...Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy I have already installed K3B, Gimp, and of course my much loved Xmahjongg. I am considering installing many other software titles that are available in Ubuntu's Software Center.

I will try Fedora next, and possibly PCLinuxOS, and maybe others...

See you all later...

Harvey
Deffi
Deffi

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:27 am
I have double checked my findings and confirm them. With Ubuntu 10.04, I was told that the eth0 was active but I could not connect to the internet. I thought - lets disconnect and reconnect. I now can not reconnect and I am permanently off-line with Ubuntu. I am now lost; as I said my other distros are working well, including the rolling Debian testing with KDE4.

David
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:09 am
Deffi wrote:I have double checked my findings and confirm them. With Ubuntu 10.04, I was told that the eth0 was active but I could not connect to the internet. I thought - lets disconnect and reconnect. I now can not reconnect and I am permanently off-line with Ubuntu. I am now lost; as I said my other distros are working well, including the rolling Debian testing with KDE4.

David

What kind of network card do you have??? I have found that D-Link cards work with all flavors of Linux. They are relatively cheap (as low as $9.00). I had to add one on one of my boxes that had an MSI motherboard in order for Mepis to get online.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/deepsearch_v3.asp?scriteria=network+card&All=y&DID=179&PID=D-Link

Harvey
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 pm
hqlinux wrote:I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04 AMD-64 on my new computer on a new rack. In a word...WOW... Cool Cool Cool

Say what you want about Ubuntu, but it just plain works. I was even able to access my RAID 1 array and copy all the files off of the array to my Ubuntu hard drive rack... VERY COOL Cool Cool Cool Makes me wonder why I can't access the array using PhoenixOS, especially since it is Ubuntu based. Any ideas as to why???

Ubuntu is definitely a KEEPER... Wink Smile cheers I am even liking Gnome better and better...Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy I have already installed K3B, Gimp, and of course my much loved Xmahjongg. I am considering installing many other software titles that are available in Ubuntu's Software Center.

See you all later...

Harvey

I am going to try one more iso fixing a few more bugs I, and a few testers here discovered; if we still have problems, might have to go go kde4; because thats the only thing different between my distro and what you are using; is I chose to go with kde3. Maybe somehow by using kde3 some of the packages and patches are older causing these problems, dunno. Going to need a larger group of testers for the next iso.

Ray
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 pm
Admin wrote:
hqlinux wrote:I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04 AMD-64 on my new computer on a new rack. In a word...WOW... Cool Cool Cool

See you all later...

Harvey

I am going to try one more iso fixing a few more bugs I, and a few testers here discovered; if we still have problems, might have to go go kde4; because thats the only thing different between my distro and what you are using; is I chose to go with kde3. Maybe somehow by using kde3 some of the packages and patches are older causing these problems, dunno. Going to need a larger group of testers for the next iso.
Weirdest thing, is on my laptop it works beautiful, go figure.

Ray
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:50 pm
Admin wrote:

Ray

Ubuntu 10.04 uses Gnome, not KDE, so I am not sure as to what KDE has to do with being able to see my RAID array. Ubuntu mounts it just like any other drive, and the array is formatted as NTFS so I can work with High Definition Video files from my video camera using Windows 7 Ultimate. I haven't found a decent alternative to Adobe Premier in the Linux world for working with video. Do you know of one that will work with HD video files that I could use and give a try???

Harvey
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG
http://froggyslinks.com/index.php

Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:54 pm
Admin wrote:

Ray

I will definitely test it out for ya. Razz
Deffi
Deffi

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:22 am
I will certainly try it out. I am having my problem with Kubuntu (KDE4), Ubuntu (Gnome) and Phoenix (KDE3).

Forget my problem; I am told that my motherboard is probably getting old - I would have thought that would have affected all my installs but they are preforming well. My installs are all fresh after renewing my HD, because the first area of the disc had become practically unusable.

As I have posted elsewhere, I have learnt to use the latest (I think 4.3 or 4.4) KDE4 with Dolphin and like it. The setups I have used are similar (Mepis 8.5 and the KDE Debian testing). It is not daunting as was my first experience with one of the Phoenixes. I think that was unfamiliarity and frustration from not being able to use old ways of say, placing and removing applications from the desktop panel.

David
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:26 am
hqlinux wrote:
Admin wrote:

Ray

Ubuntu 10.04 uses Gnome, not KDE, so I am not sure as to what KDE has to do with being able to see my RAID array. Ubuntu mounts it just like any other drive, and the array is formatted as NTFS so I can work with High Definition Video files from my video camera using Windows 7 Ultimate. I haven't found a decent alternative to Adobe Premier in the Linux world for working with video. Do you know of one that will work with HD video files that I could use and give a try???

Harvey

You, see when you use gnome its only one kind and its the latest. When I use kde3 there is a minor setback some files might not be the latest like python being 2.6 among some, where as if it was KDE4, the latest for that is 3.0. Follow what I am saying?
I will check my debs and see what I have.

Ray
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:12 pm
Admin wrote:

You, see when you use gnome its only one kind and its the latest. When I use kde3 there is a minor setback some files might not be the latest like python being 2.6 among some, where as if it was KDE4, the latest for that is 3.0. Follow what I am saying?

Ray

Yes, I understand what you mean now. I had forgotten about possible dependencies that could cause conflicts. It just seems weird though...

And for the record, your distro did at least install on my new box, but Fedora 13 wouldn't Shocked Shocked Shocked and PCLinuxOS wouldn't install either Shocked Shocked Shocked

Truthfully, those two surprised me. I have had success with Fedora especially, but not this time... I think it is a video problem with both distros, but quite frankly, I am not all that interested in trouble shooting this, especially when I can run PhoenixOS and Ubuntu with no muss, no fuss...

Harvey
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:51 pm
I am now running Kanotix LiveCd on my new box. I am using KDE 3.5.10 and the i686 version. It does not see my RAID array.

Harvey
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:23 pm
hqlinux wrote:
Admin wrote:

Ray

Yes, I understand what you mean now. I had forgotten about possible dependencies that could cause conflicts. It just seems weird though...

And for the record, your distro did at least install on my new box, but Fedora 13 wouldn't Shocked Shocked Shocked and PCLinuxOS wouldn't install either Shocked Shocked Shocked

Truthfully, those two surprised me. I have had success with Fedora especially, but not this time... I think it is a video problem with both distros, but quite frankly, I am not all that interested in trouble shooting this, especially when I can run PhoenixOS and Ubuntu with no muss, no fuss...

Harvey

Thats kewl, as a whole 80% of testers have PhoenixOS running fine; 10% cant get it to work; 10% have it working but have problems connecting to internet and nvidia. The nvidia was because they did not use restricted manager, once you use that it installs nvidia flawlessly.
There is a lot of patching and customizations done in my distro to provide wider compatibility. Unfortunately, even though I have a computer store, there are lots of computers I do not have on hand to test it with; thats where you the testers come in: it helps a lot with PhoenixOS development. Before PhoenixOS didnt work on dell minis, a forum user mailed me 2 of his dell minis and I found the problems and fixed it; which is now in the Flamehawk release.
All in all its really a pretty good beta; and since that iso release I have fixed more bugs.
I will let you all know when I upload the updated beta.

In the meantime, thanks for the update and Enjoy!

Ray
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:09 pm
Thanks for the update, Ray.

I am now trying Linux Mint 9.0 (Gnome version) and it sees my RAID array and lets me access it... Mint is based on Ubuntu as you all well know.

Harvey
Deffi
Deffi

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:41 am
I can't connect to the internet and therefore can not test nvidia, where there have been problems before. It is frustrating but no ones fault.

David
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:22 am
hqlinux wrote:

Harvey

I tried Fedora 13 on my laptop and it installed fine but would only boot once then never again I did this 3x and replicated it each time.
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:45 am
jpisini wrote:

I tried Fedora 13 on my laptop and it installed fine but would only boot once then never again I did this 3x and replicated it each time.

I have had excellent results with Fedora on my much older rack box. I don't know what's up with Fedora vs my new rack box, but maybe Fedora 14 will work. I am not going to loose any sleep over it... LOL ... that's for sure.

I am posting this on a fresh install of Linux Mint 9, codename "Isadora", Gnome version.

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.32-22-generic (x86_64)
Compiled : #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 3 19:31:57 UTC 2010
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler : GNU C Compiler version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)
Distribution : Linux Mint 9 Isadora
-Current Session-
Computer Name : hq-mint
User Name : hq (hq)
Home Directory : /home/hq
Desktop Environment : GNOME 2.30.0
-Misc-
Uptime : 4 hours, 22 minutes
Load Average : 1.06, 1.05, 1.00

VERY NICE INDEED... Give it a shot John.

Harvey
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:55 am
Ray,

Here are the kernel modules that are installed on Linux Mint. Linux Mint will access my RAID array... If you notice, dm_raid45 is loaded by default. I don't know if you have that module loading in PhoenixOS. Just a thought.

-Loaded Modules-
dm_crypt : device-mapper target for transparent encryption / decryption
binfmt_misc
ppdev
snd_hda_codec_via : VIA HD-audio codec
snd_seq_dummy : ALSA sequencer MIDI-through client
snd_seq_oss : OSS-compatible sequencer module
snd_seq_midi : Advanced Linux Sound Architecture sequencer MIDI synth.
snd_rawmidi : Midlevel RawMidi code for ALSA.
snd_hda_intel : Intel HDA driver
snd_seq_midi_event : MIDI byte <-> sequencer event coder
snd_hda_codec : HDA codec core
snd_hwdep : Hardware dependent layer
snd_pcm_oss : PCM OSS emulation for ALSA.
snd_seq : Advanced Linux Sound Architecture sequencer.
snd_mixer_oss : Mixer OSS emulation for ALSA.
snd_seq_device : ALSA sequencer device management
snd_pcm : Midlevel PCM code for ALSA.
edac_core : Core library routines for EDAC reporting
edac_mce_amd : AMD MCE decoder
asus_atk0110
snd_timer : ALSA timer interface
i2c_piix4 : PIIX4 SMBus driver
snd : Advanced Linux Sound Architecture driver for soundcards.
soundcore : Core sound module
snd_page_alloc : Memory allocator for ALSA system.
xhci : 'eXtensible' Host Controller (xHC) Driver
lp
parport
dm_raid45 : device-mapper raid4/5 target
xor
fbcon
tileblit : Tile Blitting Operation
font : Console Fonts
bitblit : Bit Blitting Operation
softcursor : Generic software cursor
vga16fb : Legacy VGA framebuffer device driver
vgastate : VGA State Save/Restore
usbhid : USB HID core driver
hid
usb_storage : USB Mass Storage driver for Linux
nouveau : nVidia Riva/TNT/GeForce
ttm : TTM memory manager subsystem (for DRM device)
drm_kms_helper : DRM KMS helper
ohci1394 : Driver for PCI OHCI IEEE-1394 controllers
drm : DRM shared core routines
ieee1394
pata_atiixp : low-level driver for ATI IXP200/300/400
i2c_algo_bit : I2C-Bus bit-banging algorithm
pata_jmicron : SCSI low-level driver for Jmicron PATA ports
sky2 : Marvell Yukon 2 Gigabit Ethernet driver
ahci : AHCI SATA low-level driver

Harvey
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:52 pm
Harvey, just FYI:
Mint's kernel is modded to include tons of things. That's why it's one of the best *buntus out there.
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:22 pm
LinuXFroG wrote:Harvey, just FYI:
Mint's kernel is modded to include tons of things. That's why it's one of the best *buntus out there.

It's the best I've come across so far.

Bob
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:25 pm
I wouldn't say that about Mint 9 though. But then, I really don't like Lucid at all. Fast on boot, but slow every where else in my opinion.
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks. I knew that they had modded Ubuntu to make "their" version of Linux.

I was trying to help Ray in finding out why my RAID array doesn't show up in PhoenixOS. Maybe Ray's new release will. I will certainly test for that once I get a hold of the new version.

Harvey
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Maybe we should use mint's kernel instead.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:55 pm
ITs up enjoy!

Ray Very Happy
Oponium

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:30 pm
nope, pretty sure mint doesnt mod the kernel. can you provide any proof to back that up?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum