New ISO Link

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New ISO Link

Post  hqlinux on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Admin wrote:
hqlinux wrote:
Admin wrote:
hqlinux wrote:I don't know why PhoenixOS can't see my RAID array. Perhaps it is the way Konq "sees" devices. Nautilus 2.30.1 in Mint and Ubuntu sees and lets me mount the array just fine. I am not a huge fan of Konq as a "file & computer browser" anyway, but I wonder if another file and computer browser would work... I will try Krusader later when I get the chance to install this version.

Harvey

Thats an idea; try installing Nautilus and Krusader see if that works, and dolphin. I might replace konqueror.

Ray

Hmmmmmm... Will Nautilus install in a KDE desktop??? It is a Gnome browser, but I will give it a shot.

Harvey

If it doesnt install; try krusader and dolphin: those WILL install. Krusader has a super root version too when you install it. Let me know and thanks!

Ray Very Happy

Well, well well... I intalled the latest PhoenixOS... then...

I installed Nautilus 2.30.1 using Kubuntu's Software Center, and WAA LAA... I can not only see my RAID array, I can actually access it. This seems to point to a failure in Konq... Which as I stated earlier is a miserable piece of software for file browsing. Interestingly enough... after I installed Nautilus, there was no icon to be found anywhere to start the program, so I opened Konsole and typed in Nautilus, and it launched...

Ray, you may wish to consider ditching Konq for Nautilus as your computer and file browser. It also found my network with no muss, no fuss as well...

I will continue checking things out, but I have to get some things done before I have to leave for work tomorrow. NICE JOB on this Ray...

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:45 pm

To let others know how to add an icon to the desktop:

I went to usr/bin and found Nautilus's executable file, right clicked on it and chose ---> Copy to ---> Desktop... and WAA LAA... an icon to launch Nautilus appeared so I don't have to go into Konsole each and every time... How cool is that... Wink Very Happy Cool

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Just checked Software Updates using Update Manager... already had 28 security updates for 35.2 MB's including updates to FireFox and Thunderbird, among others.

I am installing them now.

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:02 pm

I would say to keep konqueror but also offer dolphin for those that want it.

I was able to launch phoenix by using live nomodeset at the boot prompt. I am posting this from Phoenix live now. One thing I haven't been able to figure out with the new grub is how to make these types of changes permanent.
jpisini
Admin

View user profile http://cafecomputer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:43 am

jpisini wrote:I would say to keep konqueror but also offer dolphin for those that want it.

I was able to launch phoenix by using live nomodeset at the boot prompt. I am posting this from Phoenix live now. One thing I haven't been able to figure out with the new grub is how to make these types of changes permanent.

I have tried Konq and Dolphin on this box... neither of which sees my RAID array, nor my network, at least without having to go through the samba shares routine.

Nautilus on the other hand did both, saw my array and my network right off the bat. Nautilus is a MUCH better file and computer browser, in my opinion.

I am not saying that Konq shouldn't be included in this distro, I am saying that Nautilus should be the default computer and file browser. No biggie either way, now that I have cracked the code, so to speak. As for me and my household, Nautilus reigns supreme... LOL Wink Very Happy cheers

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:00 am

Nautilus being Gnome based doesn’t integrate into KDE well. You can of course use it but some features may not work or not work as you think they should. The issue with Konqueror/dolphin not seeing your drive is because Ubuntu made changes to the underlying detection system and KDE 3 being supported by just one guy has not been able to integrate it with. Not very helpful to you of course but that is the reason why.
On a personal note I notice PhoenixOS runs about 10 degrees hotter than Kanotix/Lenny this could be tied to the same way things are detected.
jpisini
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:15 am

hqlinux wrote:
Admin wrote:
hqlinux wrote:
Admin wrote:
hqlinux wrote:I don't know why PhoenixOS can't see my RAID array. Perhaps it is the way Konq "sees" devices. Nautilus 2.30.1 in Mint and Ubuntu sees and lets me mount the array just fine. I am not a huge fan of Konq as a "file & computer browser" anyway, but I wonder if another file and computer browser would work... I will try Krusader later when I get the chance to install this version.

Harvey

Thats an idea; try installing Nautilus and Krusader see if that works, and dolphin. I might replace konqueror.

Ray

Hmmmmmm... Will Nautilus install in a KDE desktop??? It is a Gnome browser, but I will give it a shot.

Harvey

If it doesnt install; try krusader and dolphin: those WILL install. Krusader has a super root version too when you install it. Let me know and thanks!

Ray Very Happy

Well, well well... I intalled the latest PhoenixOS... then...

I installed Nautilus 2.30.1 using Kubuntu's Software Center, and WAA LAA... I can not only see my RAID array, I can actually access it. This seems to point to a failure in Konq... Which as I stated earlier is a miserable piece of software for file browsing. Interestingly enough... after I installed Nautilus, there was no icon to be found anywhere to start the program, so I opened Konsole and typed in Nautilus, and it launched...

Ray, you may wish to consider ditching Konq for Nautilus as your computer and file browser. It also found my network with no muss, no fuss as well...

I will continue checking things out, but I have to get some things done before I have to leave for work tomorrow. NICE JOB on this Ray...

Harvey

Can you say bye bye konqueror heheheh; this is definitely good news. I think Konqueror will be included, but Nautilus will be the default. I was trying to figure why it didnt work, cuz I installed the dmraid you told me about; obviously Konqueror is inferior in this aspect.
A ++ For Kubuntu Software Center; I am thinking of using that for default: works so good.

Thanks! I appreciate all the extra testing for me; this solves the raid problem!
Glad you like it!

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 am

jpisini wrote:Nautilus being Gnome based doesn’t integrate into KDE well. You can of course use it but some features may not work or not work as you think they should. The issue with Konqueror/dolphin not seeing your drive is because Ubuntu made changes to the underlying detection system and KDE 3 being supported by just one guy has not been able to integrate it with. Not very helpful to you of course but that is the reason why.
On a personal note I notice PhoenixOS runs about 10 degrees hotter than Kanotix/Lenny this could be tied to the same way things are detected.

John,

I just started PhoenixOS up. You were right about Nautilus not playing nice with KDE... It did when first installed, but after a shut down for over a day... My desktop was "borked" upon start up... Several of the desktop icons were no longer working and I had to use Pastebin to even get FireFox to load scratch scratch I am posting from PhoenixOS right now, but it's desktop looks remarkably like Ubuntu's... brown background, menu bar at the top, etc.... I guess I have a "cross" between KDE & Gnome going on here...LOL...

Oh well, hopefully when I install Ray's latest version, this will all get sorted out. I don't have any data loaded, so no real loss.

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:51 am

hqlinux wrote:
jpisini wrote:Nautilus being Gnome based doesn’t integrate into KDE well. You can of course use it but some features may not work or not work as you think they should. The issue with Konqueror/dolphin not seeing your drive is because Ubuntu made changes to the underlying detection system and KDE 3 being supported by just one guy has not been able to integrate it with. Not very helpful to you of course but that is the reason why.

John,

I just started PhoenixOS up. You were right about Nautilus not playing nice with KDE... It did when first installed, but after a shut down for over a day... My desktop was "borked" upon start up... Several of the desktop icons were no longer working and I had to use Pastebin to even get FireFox to load scratch scratch I am posting from PhoenixOS right now, but it's desktop looks remarkably like Ubuntu's... brown background, menu bar at the top, etc.... I guess I have a "cross" between KDE & Gnome going on here...LOL...

Oh well, hopefully when I install Ray's latest version, this will all get sorted out. I don't have any data loaded, so no real loss.

Harvey

This version been using Nautilus for 2 days no problems, and ISO should be done uploading by later this afternoon then you can try.

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 am

Admin wrote:

This version been using Nautilus for 2 days no problems, and ISO should be done uploading by later this afternoon then you can try.

Ray Very Happy

To be fair... I loaded boatloads of Gnome apps and utilities in the effort of making Nautilus show it's desktop icon, which of course went to no avail. That's when I thought to try and start Nautilus from Konsole, which of course did work... Embarassed I should have tried that FIRST before I loaded all those other apps and utilities... LOL...

Oh well... that's what testing is all about... borking a system, then trying to figure out how and why Wink lol!

After I found out that Nautilus was indeed installed Embarassed , it was easy to create an icon on the desktop...

I am looking forward to this new release, though. All in all, this distro is coming along quite nicely, in my opinion... cheers cheers cheers

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:09 am

hqlinux wrote:
Admin wrote:

Ray Very Happy

To be fair... I loaded boatloads of Gnome apps and utilities in the effort of making Nautilus show it's desktop icon, which of course went to no avail. That's when I thought to try and start Nautilus from Konsole, which of course did work... Embarassed I should have tried that FIRST before I loaded all those other apps and utilities... LOL...

Oh well... that's what testing is all about... borking a system, then trying to figure out how and why Wink lol!

After I found out that Nautilus was indeed installed Embarassed , it was easy to create an icon on the desktop...

I am looking forward to this new release, though. All in all, this distro is coming along quite nicely, in my opinion... cheers cheers cheers

Harvey

Thanks Harvey! I am really happy with this system, that I am actually thinking of wiping my laptop and replacing Karmic with this Lucid build, it works so good and so FAST!

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:24 pm

jpisini wrote:

Just curious John... What app are you using to get that info??? I am running this live on my laptop and it sure would be nice to know what temp that it is running.

Thanks.

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:19 am

hqlinux wrote:
jpisini wrote:

Just curious John... What app are you using to get that info??? I am running this live on my laptop and it sure would be nice to know what temp that it is running.

Thanks.

Harvey

I myself would wanna know too, because I checked the core temperatures and they are the same as the temperatures in Linux Mint, Fedora, and Debian sid.

Thanks

Ray
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:22 am

Admin wrote:
hqlinux wrote:
jpisini wrote:

Thanks.

Harvey

I myself would wanna know too, because I checked the core temperatures and they are the same as the temperatures in Linux Mint, Fedora, and Debian sid.

Thanks

Ray

What program did you use Ray to get the temps???

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:05 am

Phoenix/Ubuntu will not read the proc temp on this system neither will Lenny. I am basing this on air tempurture coming out of the exhaust port I have to assume that 10 degrees hotter air is 10 degrees hotter on the chip although what the actual temp of the chip is I can't say. Lenny the exhaust is warm to the touch under Phoenix it is hot and hurts to keep my fingers there.
jpisini
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:11 am

jpisini wrote:Phoenix/Ubuntu will not read the proc temp on this system neither will Lenny. I am basing this on air tempurture coming out of the exhaust port I have to assume that 10 degrees hotter air is 10 degrees hotter on the chip although what the actual temp of the chip is I can't say. Lenny the exhaust is warm to the touch under Phoenix it is hot and hurts to keep my fingers there.

Ahhhhhhhhhh........

The old "touch the exhaust port trick", huh??? Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

While not scientific by any means, hot is hot... Very Happy lol! lol! lol!

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:45 am

jpisini wrote:Phoenix/Ubuntu will not read the proc temp on this system neither will Lenny. I am basing this on air tempurture coming out of the exhaust port I have to assume that 10 degrees hotter air is 10 degrees hotter on the chip although what the actual temp of the chip is I can't say. Lenny the exhaust is warm to the touch under Phoenix it is hot and hurts to keep my fingers there.

I did a search in Ubuntu's Repositories and found sensord: http://apt.ubuntu.com/p/sensord ...

It logs the results in: System---> KSystemlog

The results:

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord +12V Voltage: +12.26 V (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord +3.3V Voltage: +3.31 V (min = +2.97 V, max = +3.63 V)

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord +5V Voltage: +5.00 V (min = +4.50 V, max = +5.50 V)

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord Adapter: ACPI interface

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord Chip: atk0110-acpi-0

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord CPU/NB Voltage: +1.14 V (min = +0.80 V, max = +1.60 V)

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord CPU Temperature: 40.0 C

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord CPU VDDA Voltage: +2.50 V (min = +2.00 V, max = +3.00 V)

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord DRAM Voltage: +1.51 V (min = +1.40 V, max = +1.90 V)

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord HT Voltage: +1.20 V (min = +0.80 V, max = +1.50 V)

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord MB Temperature: 34.0 C

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord NB Temperature: 49.0 C

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord NB Voltage: +1.11 V (min = +0.90 V, max = +1.35 V)

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord OPT_TEMP1 Temperature: 0.0 C

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord OPT_TEMP2 Temperature: 0.0 C

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord OPT_TEMP3 Temperature: 0.0 C

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord SB Temperature: 43.0 C

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord SB Voltage: +1.10 V (min = +0.80 V, max = +1.50 V)

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord sensord started

06/26/2010 08:15:41 AM hq-phxos sensord Vcore Voltage: +1.18 V (min = +0.80 V, max = +1.60 V)

Not very elegant, nor does it have any kind of graphical interface, at least from what I have been able to discover anyhow, but it does give the important info on processor, north bridge, south bridge, etc.

I don't know if it starts by default. I started it by using the run command. Your mileage may vary

Wink Smile

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:08 pm

The sensord daemon is set to start on boot, and it seems to log the temp results approximately every 10 minutes or so. The VmSize is 8892 and the System and User% is recorded at 0 by the Process Table in KDE System Guard.

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord +12V Voltage: +12.31 V (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord +3.3V Voltage: +3.31 V (min = +2.97 V, max = +3.63 V)

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord +5V Voltage: +5.00 V (min = +4.50 V, max = +5.50 V)

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord Adapter: ACPI interface

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord Chip: atk0110-acpi-0

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord CPU/NB Voltage: +1.14 V (min = +0.80 V, max = +1.60 V)

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord CPU Temperature: 40.0 C

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord CPU VDDA Voltage: +2.50 V (min = +2.00 V, max = +3.00 V)

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord DRAM Voltage: +1.51 V (min = +1.40 V, max = +1.90 V)

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord HT Voltage: +1.20 V (min = +0.80 V, max = +1.50 V)

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord MB Temperature: 35.0 C

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord NB Temperature: 50.0 C

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord NB Voltage: +1.11 V (min = +0.90 V, max = +1.35 V)

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord OPT_TEMP1 Temperature: 0.0 C

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord OPT_TEMP2 Temperature: 0.0 C

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord OPT_TEMP3 Temperature: 0.0 C

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord SB Temperature: 44.0 C

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord SB Voltage: +1.11 V (min = +0.80 V, max = +1.50 V)

06/26/2010 08:56:26 AM hq-phxos sensord Vcore Voltage: +1.18 V (min = +0.80 V, max = +1.60 V)

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Sensord doesn't work for me unfortunately. Sidux and Fedora can read the temp not sure why Phoenix and Lenny can't, must be a library that needs updating.
jpisini
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:19 pm

jpisini wrote:Sensord doesn't work for me unfortunately. Sidux and Fedora can read the temp not sure why Phoenix and Lenny can't, must be a library that needs updating.

Did you try installing via Ubuntu's Software Center??? It (sensord) doesn't leave an icon or anything. You have to start it from the run command, unless you want to create a desktop icon by going to /usr/sbin/sensord and choose copy to desktop.

At least that is what I have discovered.

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:22 pm

I installed it through apt and ran it as root the only thing in the logs was sensord has started and then no data.
jpisini
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hqlinux on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:44 pm

jpisini wrote:I installed it through apt and ran it as root the only thing in the logs was sensord has started and then no data.

That's weird... but the download page does have a qualifier saying that sensord works with MOST newer systems (emphasis mine)...

An idea... try accessing the log by going to /var/log/syslog and see if it records it there... just a suggestion.

Harvey
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpisini on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:55 pm

No same thing " Jun 26 12:10:35 Crusader sensord: sensord started " and then no data. This laptop has a newer AMD M320 in it and it seems to need the latest and greatest to access the thermal information. As long as the system works well and doesn't run hot like under Lenny I don't really need to see the exact temperature. I keep all the packages I download so I can try a new distro like Phoenix and if it fails I just mount the disk and type dpkg -i *.deb and change a couple of settings and I'm backup and running in an almost no time so I don't mind testing other systems.
jpisini
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top