PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fruitfull Day !   Another release coming! - Page 3 Empty Re: Fruitfull Day ! Another release coming!

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:29 am
I have been troubleshooting this grub error message.

error: no such device: 95e96618-7c63-4c13-9401-705a31d4d914.
grub rescue> _ (underscore is blinking)

Step 1. I tried to install PhoenixOS...No Joy

Step 2. I tried to install Linux Mint 9.0 (a known good installable medium, and I have it installed on another rack so it is compatible with my new box)...No Joy

Step 3. I tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 amd-64 (a known good installable medium, and I have it installed on another rack so it is compatible with my new box)...No Joy

Step 4. I removed the Western Digital 500 GB SATA hard drive out of the rack's tray and replaced with a Hitachi 500 GB SATA drive (both drives are brand new, as a matter of a fact).

Step 5. Tried to install the various flavors of Linux listed above... No Joy ... Same grub error message.

By now I was getting... shall we say... FRUSTRATED
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Knowing that the odds of BOTH brand new hard drives were bad was slim to none...

Step 6. I went into my BIOS and discovered that somehow, someway my boot order sequence was changed to my RAID array, after the CD-ROM... I have NO idea how or why that happened, but it did. I changed it back to "removable dev." (that is my hard drive rack system) after the CD-ROM. F-10, save changes...

Step 7. I tried a reinstall of Ubuntu 10.04 amd-64 and rebooted... and WAA LAA... no grub error, and it booted to the OS.

Step 8. Flushed with the feeling of success... Wink Very Happy

I then tried to install PhoenixOS over the Ubuntu install, wiping the disk clean.

Step 9. Write this epistle explaining as best as I can remember all the steps I went through to get here... Wink Shocked Laughing

Step 10. SUCCESS with PhoenixOS 062310 install, and I am now downloading the updates to my fresh install...

Whewwwww... I LOVE it when a plan comes together...LOL

cheers cheers cheers

Harvey
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Fruitfull Day !   Another release coming! - Page 3 Empty Re: Fruitfull Day ! Another release coming!

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:27 am
hqlinux wrote:I have been troubleshooting this grub error message.

error: no such device: 95e96618-7c63-4c13-9401-705a31d4d914.
grub rescue> _ (underscore is blinking)

Step 1. I tried to install PhoenixOS...No Joy

Step 2. I tried to install Linux Mint 9.0 (a known good installable medium, and I have it installed on another rack so it is compatible with my new box)...No Joy

Step 3. I tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 amd-64 (a known good installable medium, and I have it installed on another rack so it is compatible with my new box)...No Joy

Step 4. I removed the Western Digital 500 GB SATA hard drive out of the rack's tray and replaced with a Hitachi 500 GB SATA drive (both drives are brand new, as a matter of a fact).

Step 5. Tried to install the various flavors of Linux listed above... No Joy ... Same grub error message.

By now I was getting... shall we say... FRUSTRATED
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Knowing that the odds of BOTH brand new hard drives were bad was slim to none...

Step 6. I went into my BIOS and discovered that somehow, someway my boot order sequence was changed to my RAID array, after the CD-ROM... I have NO idea how or why that happened, but it did. I changed it back to "removable dev." (that is my hard drive rack system) after the CD-ROM. F-10, save changes...

Step 7. I tried a reinstall of Ubuntu 10.04 amd-64 and rebooted... and WAA LAA... no grub error, and it booted to the OS.

Step 8. Flushed with the feeling of success... Wink Very Happy

I then tried to install PhoenixOS over the Ubuntu install, wiping the disk clean.

Step 9. Write this epistle explaining as best as I can remember all the steps I went through to get here... Wink Shocked Laughing

Step 10. SUCCESS with PhoenixOS 062310 install, and I am now downloading the updates to my fresh install...

Whewwwww... I LOVE it when a plan comes together...LOL

cheers cheers cheers

Harvey

Thanks for the update, glad it was something simple; as I was getting ready to pull the iso! Thats why its really important to find testers that can test it installed as well as Live mode.

Whew! Thought it was going to be another beta, now just gotta check on Tekmate.

Ray Very Happy
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:07 am
Admin wrote:

Thanks for the update, glad it was something simple; as I was getting ready to pull the iso! Thats why its really important to find testers that can test it installed as well as Live mode.

Whew! Thought it was going to be another beta, now just gotta check on Tekmate.

Ray Very Happy

Yeah... troubleshooting is such a joy... NOT Wink Laughing

I am glad that it wasn't your OS too.

I do think that you may wish to include a hard drive partitioner and formatter such as Gparted or some such to your default install and LiveDVD. I had to go to Mint to be able to format my drive to NTFS, which was a step I didn't include in the above epistle. I was thinking that perhaps something in a Linux install did something to the boot sector of the hard drive (remote possibility, I know) so I wanted to wipe ALL traces of Ext 4 and Linux off of the drive to see if that would produce successful results in the installation of PhxOS. Of course, it had no effect, but it was worth a shot.

Harvey

PS I am posting from the installed version on PhxOS. I did install GParted via the Software Center, by the way, and it installed and works just fine with your distro. It even placed the icon for GParted in the System menu. Cool
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG
http://froggyslinks.com/index.php

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:20 pm
I just install gparted into the live system. But might be a good idea to include it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:44 pm
LinuXFroG wrote:I just install gparted into the live system. But might be a good idea to include it.

I am compiling a list of things to add for final, and will post it here shortly go over the list and if I missed something let me know.

Ray Very Happy
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:55 pm
I haven't been able to install my networked printer. It is attached to a Win XP Pro box. The option of clicking on a network printer via samba is grayed out... SMB shared printer (Windows)...

What's up with that??? Shocked

Harvey

PS.. Yes I tried it in Administrator Mode as well... scratch
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:59 pm
Ok here is the list of things to fix for final:

1) Fix User Bug
2) Add Gparted (thanks harvey)
3) Change Documents icon, to use nautilus instead of konqueror (thanks tekmate)
4) Remove Install option from bootsplach (thanks harvey)
5) Either fix amarok scripts or use xmms as replacement (thanks tekmate)
6) Put number on in kde as default (thanks harvey)
7) Add PlayonLinux for Windows Wine frontend
Cool Check networked printer to find out why samba greyed out

Maybe if time change ubuntu plymouth boot screen to PhoenixOS one; I have not been able to find any info on how to do the Plymouth, wish they left usplash.

If I missed anything let me know

Ray Smile

P.S. Oh and upgrade Openoffice again.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:04 pm
List looks good so far, but I need to be able to print from my box to a Windows based printer. I have updated CUPS to no avail...

Ideas or suggestions???

Harvey
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:17 pm
I just tried accessing my wife's printer (it's a Canon Pixma 610) (which is shared) on her computer (Win 7 Pro) and No Joy as well.

I have to go out for awhile, but I will try installing the printers on Mint and Ubuntu when I get back to see what kind of results that I get.

Harvey
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:28 pm
I have been having decent luck with the ultralyricwiki plugin under Amarok works pretty well. There are others I didn't have any luck with the google one or glyric.
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG
http://froggyslinks.com/index.php

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:13 pm
I seem to be the only one who enjoys Rhythmbox. Even on kde I always installed it. But then, I even preferred Foobar2000 when on windows. Go figure. But that list seems fine.
Bob3
Bob3

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:14 pm
Admin wrote:Ok here is the list of things to fix for final:

1) Fix User Bug

Maybe if time change ubuntu plymouth boot screen to PhoenixOS one; I have not been able to find any info on how to do the Plymouth, wish they left usplash.

Ray Smile

Need a "super user" file manager like Krusader or whatever so that tweaking in root can be accomplished.
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:25 pm
Bob3 wrote: Need a "super user" file manager like Krusader or whatever so that tweaking in root can be accomplished.

Open terminal
xhost +
sudo su
konqueror

afro
PGTips91
PGTips91
http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:28 pm
That's all well and good for the few who are comfortable with the command line, but that leaves out most of the target audience.

Might I suggest a good introduction, such as a 'READ ME' text file, with needed information and a link to further information on-line, so that new users don't have to go looking in the forums for answers that are well known to others.

Paul
PGTips91
PGTips91

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:04 pm

snip

Ray Smile

Here's one way to change the boot-splash : --

Changing the boot screen

The plymouth theme uses a theme framework to display the background and animation, so you won’t be able to take a simple wallpaper and put it on the boot screen. The Ubuntu repository comes with several plymouth themes that you can install in your system.

sudo apt-get install plymouth-theme-*

This will install all the plymouth themes in the repository.

Next, select the theme that you want to display:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

you will see a list of the theme for you to choose. Type in the number of the theme you want and press Enter.

lucid-plymouth-selection

Update: According to Pvalley67, you have to run the following command to update the system. I have got it working without having to run the command, but you can do it if you are not seeing the new splash screen.

sudo update-initramfs -u

Restart your computer. You should see your new boot screen in action.

Further information with GUI instructions may be found at : --

How to Fix the Big and Ugly Plymouth Logo in Ubuntu 10.04

A comment to How do you change login and plymouth image in ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) says : --

michael says:
May 25, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Easier yet is to use Ubuntu Tweak. This is a nice program that lets you customize many settings, including login background. Here is a link on how to install it.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-tweak-in-ubuntu-10-04lucid-lynx.html

Ubuntu Tweak is an application designed to config Ubuntu easier for everyone. It provides many useful desktop and system options that the default desktop environment doesn’t provide. At present, it’s only designed for the Ubuntu GNOME Desktop, and always follows the newest Ubuntu distribution.
Features of Ubuntu Tweak

* View of Basic System Information(Distribution, Kernel, CPU, Memory, etc.)
* GNOME Session Control
* Auto Start Program Control
* Quick install popular applications
* A lot of third-party sources to keep applications up-to-date
* Clean unneeded packages or cache to free disk space
* Show/Hide and Change Splash screen
* Show/Hide desktop icons or Mounted Volumes
* Show/Hide/Rename Computer, Home, Trash or Network icon
* Tweak Metacity Window Manager’s style and behaviour
* Compiz Fusion settings, Screen Edge Settings, Window Effect Settings, Menu Effect Settings
* Set the Shortcuts to archive quicker access your favourite applications
* GNOME Panel Settings
* Nautilus Settings
* Advanced Power Management Settings
* System Security Settings
* And many other in process…

Hope some of this helps, the new boot-splash is obviously not an easy thing to change.

Paul
PGTips91
PGTips91

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:21 pm
Here's a method of creating an entirely new theme : --

To create a very basic theme (wallpaper only) try the following:

1. sudo mkdir /lib/plymouth/themes/simple

2. Find a wallpaper you like and copy it to /lib/plymouth/themes/simple/wallpaper.png (must be a png!)

2. sudo gedit /lib/plymouth/themes/simple/simple.plymouth and paste the following:

[Plymouth Theme]
Name=Simple
Description=Wallpaper only
ModuleName=script

[script]
ImageDir=/lib/plymouth/themes/simple
ScriptFile=/lib/plymouth/themes/simple/simple.script

3. sudo gedit /lib/plymouth/themes/simple/simple.script and paste the following:

wallpaper_image = Image(“wallpaper.png”);
screen_width = Window.GetWidth();
screen_height = Window.GetHeight();
resized_wallpaper_image = wallpaper_image.Scale(screen_width,screen_height);
wallpaper_sprite = Sprite(resized_wallpaper_image);
wallpaper_sprite.SetZ(-100);

4. sudo update-alternatives –install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/simple/simple.plymouth 100

5. sudo update-alternatives –config default.plymouth (select simple from the list)

6. sudo update-initramfs -u

Reboot and you should see a boot splash of the image you copied.

For more details on creating plymouth themes check out: http://brej.org/blog/?p=197

This series of blogs starts at : --

http://brej.org/blog/?p=158
Plymouth theming guide (part 1)

Judging by the many forum postings and articles, many people do enjoy a nice boot splash and there is a real desire to customise their spin or even the individual machine to their preferred theme. In this guide I will try and show you how to make your own custom splash, walking though the process of viewing, changing and installing. Even if you are a Linux novice, you should be able to follow the steps without much trouble. This guide assumes a Fedora system, although there should be very few changes between the different installations.
Set-up

Obviously you can view plymouth running by turning on your computer, but that does get rather tiresome if you wish to test frequently. Without restarting your machine, there are three sensible methods of testing plymouth: using a victim machine, using a virtual victim machine or using the X11 plugin.

So there you have much of the information needed, but the time needed to be invested is not inconsiderable, I would imagine.

Paul

hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:57 am
I am posting from Linux Mint 9.0. I tried to set up my HP printer that is attached to my Dell XP Pro box. I used Mint's Add a printer app : system-config-printer 1.2.0 and it worked like a charm. ( http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/system-config-printer/ ) I was able to install my networked printer and printed the test page in about a minute and a half... VERY NICE.

You may want to check out that printer config program, Ray.

Has anyone else had or tried setting up a Windows networked printer in PhoenixOS??? If so, what were your results???

Harvey
PGTips91
PGTips91

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:02 am
Have installed Ubuntu Tweak and am running it in the LiveDVD session. It is a very intuitive GUI and might be a useful addition to the next release.

Just using it to do a package update using Update Manager.

Paul
Deffi
Deffi

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:55 am
hqlinux wrote:I am posting from Linux Mint 9.0. I tried to set up my HP printer that is attached to my Dell XP Pro box. I used Mint's Add a printer app : system-config-printer 1.2.0 and it worked like a charm. ( http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/system-config-printer/ ) I was able to install my networked printer and printed the test page in about a minute and a half... VERY NICE.

Has anyone else had or tried setting up a Windows networked printer in PhoenixOS??? If so, what were your results???

Harvey

A version of that package is available in the Debian repositories. (1.0.0 in lenny main). I can not get to look in the testing repositories at this moment.

David
Ray
Ray

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:09 pm
hqlinux wrote:I am posting from Linux Mint 9.0. I tried to set up my HP printer that is attached to my Dell XP Pro box. I used Mint's Add a printer app : system-config-printer 1.2.0 and it worked like a charm. ( http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/system-config-printer/ ) I was able to install my networked printer and printed the test page in about a minute and a half... VERY NICE.

Harvey
Harvey,

Having a few problems with printers myself, my Epson R230 can be added to PhoenixOS without any problems, however my Networked printer, an Epson TX600FW dooes not work. Using another of my vm's (Ultimate Edition 2.6) this printer installs like a charm. I also noticed that the Epson printers listed in the printer setup of PhoenixOS contain far less printer models than the same list in Ultimate Edition. This is obviously the major problem in getting printers to work in Phoenix.

I have notified Ray of this in another post about this printer so hopefully he can come up with some answers.

Good to see you still participating old friend.

Ray
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:25 pm
Thanks Ray...

I am just kinda hanging around trying to help out if I can. I enjoy using Linux, but of course, I still have to use Windows as well...

Honestly... Windows 7 (I have both the Pro and Ultimate versions) is a pretty decent OS. I have found a LOT that I like about it, except I think that it is over priced... but have you seen what MAC gets for their stuff??? LOL

Glad to see you too mi amigo...

Harvey
Ray
Ray

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:50 pm
hqlinux wrote:Thanks Ray...

I am just kinda hanging around trying to help out if I can. I enjoy using Linux, but of course, I still have to use Windows as well...

Honestly... Windows 7 (I have both the Pro and Ultimate versions) is a pretty decent OS. I have found a LOT that I like about it, except I think that it is over priced... but have you seen what MAC gets for their stuff??? LOL

Glad to see you too mi amigo...

Harvey
Harvey,

My main machines these days are Win7 Ultimate, Vista, XP and Win2000 so you're not alone. Regarding printers, i have an OKI C3300N (network laser printer) which I am currently running as a usb printer, as soon as I get a spare port I'm going to add it as another network printer. I have just checked the printer list in my Linux Ultimate Edition 2.6 and the printer is listed so there should be no problems getting that to work provided Ray can adjust the printer list in Phoenix.

Ray
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:45 am
jpisini wrote:I have been having decent luck with the ultralyricwiki plugin under Amarok works pretty well. There are others I didn't have any luck with the google one or glyric.

Can you pm me the info, and I will include it in next build. Thanks John

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bob3 wrote:

1) Fix User Bug

Ray Smile

Need a "super user" file manager like Krusader or whatever so that tweaking in root can be accomplished.

Krusader it is then, I use it all the time works great has super user version and regular.

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:48 am
PGTips91 wrote:That's all well and good for the few who are comfortable with the command line, but that leaves out most of the target audience.

Might I suggest a good introduction, such as a 'READ ME' text file, with needed information and a link to further information on-line, so that new users don't have to go looking in the forums for answers that are well known to others.

Paul

Good Ideal; kinda like Linspire did back in the day, but a little more than the Jack Donaldson txt file hehehehe.

Ray Very Happy
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum