PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Deffi
Deffi

Ubuntu and me Empty Ubuntu and me

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:11 am
I have been popping into the forums but the reason I have not been active is that Ubuntu does not work for me. I have tried all versions of Ubuntu and none based on lucid and above fail to connect to the world. Hardy versions are the only ones that work without problems.

I have tried other distros and they all work, so I have concentrated on Debian. I have lenny, squeeze, wheezy sid and Aptosid installed. I am experimenting with Aptosid and Liquorix kernels and using smxi. I have installed 2.6.38 kernel (vanilla or Aptosid) on all except lenny. Aptosid 2.6.38 has a problem with nvidia at present but the vanilla version does not.

I do have openSuse also installed because they still have pysol and I can install the british TV programme players. Once I have developed a rolling Debian intall I will try to install the Suse on Vbox so that I have everything I want on one install - I hope.

I hope everyone is well

David
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Ubuntu and me Empty Re: Ubuntu and me

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:04 pm
Deffi wrote:I have been popping into the forums but the reason I have not been active is that Ubuntu does not work for me. I have tried all versions of Ubuntu and none based on lucid and above fail to connect to the world. Hardy versions are the only ones that work without problems.

I have tried other distros and they all work, so I have concentrated on Debian. I have lenny, squeeze, wheezy sid and Aptosid installed. I am experimenting with Aptosid and Liquorix kernels and using smxi. I have installed 2.6.38 kernel (vanilla or Aptosid) on all except lenny. Aptosid 2.6.38 has a problem with nvidia at present but the vanilla version does not.

I do have openSuse also installed because they still have pysol and I can install the british TV programme players. Once I have developed a rolling Debian intall I will try to install the Suse on Vbox so that I have everything I want on one install - I hope.

I hope everyone is well

David

Welcome back!

This new version reverts back to the settings I used in hardy, would you be interested in testing?

Ray
Deffi
Deffi

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:41 am
Hi,

I am willing to try. I will have to prepare a space, So the answer is yes.

It is not Phoenix butthe problem is with Ubuntu. Together with Phoenix I tried Mint, *ubuntu etc. As I posted, I have not found other distros that do not work for me and that is the full range not just Debian. I subscribe to Linux Format which has a dvd each month with the mag containing the latest.

I suspected that it was my old equipment.

Regards David
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:25 am
If the new Phoenix doesn't work for you, you may want to look into Mint's Debian version it is supposed to be a rolling release distro so you may like it.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 pm
Deffi wrote:Hi,

I am willing to try. I will have to prepare a space, So the answer is yes.

It is not Phoenix butthe problem is with Ubuntu. Together with Phoenix I tried Mint, *ubuntu etc. As I posted, I have not found other distros that do not work for me and that is the full range not just Debian. I subscribe to Linux Format which has a dvd each month with the mag containing the latest.

I suspected that it was my old equipment.

Regards David

Great thanks! Im hoping this release will behave as hardy did for you and others. If it does, will definitely widen our compatibility base.

Ray
Deffi
Deffi

Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:43 pm

Thanks Tekmate.

I did try the debian version of Mint when I started having problems. There was another debian version of I forget that appeared at the same time. It was these that spurred me to look into the possibility of a Debian Phoenix. The problem that I found was that things were changing at speed. KDE 4, Grub2, Software Centre, etc were works in progress. Squeeze was slowly approaching Debian 6. I found that Debian unstable, now Wheezy (testing) was stable in practice. I next discovered Aptosid. It is not quite me so I customized and built my own rolling Debian using aptosid or liquorix kernels. Now that 2.6.38 is stable and in the Debian repository I am going to bring all my fun together. I have used sgfxi before and with smxi and had the oportunity to investigate them.

I would be very pleased if the new Phoenix works for me. The big problem is that recent ubuntu flavours will not talk to the world on my machine - not even the live CD. I can deal with nvidia by at worst not having 3d graphics.

I use command line much more now.

David
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:59 pm
You could always do a custom Squeeze with TDE. I have been playing with this combo a lot myself.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum