PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Old Spire Buddies Empty Old Spire Buddies

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:05 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I miss my old Spire buds. What version of Linux are you running now or any other news? I'm running Linux Mint 11 on my netbook. On my PC I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate. I still test out Linux stuff on my spare PC hard drive.

Bob
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Old Spire Buddies Empty Re: Old Spire Buddies

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:03 pm
Depends on the system. One runs Phoenix, another runs Ubuntu 10.04 with Trinity, and the last one runs Debian Squeeze with Trinity.
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:56 pm
jpisini wrote:Depends on the system. One runs Phoenix, another runs Ubuntu 10.04 with Trinity, and the last one runs Debian Squeeze with Trinity.

Excuse my ignorance what is "Trinity" ?

Bob
StanTheMan

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:47 pm
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/trinity-kde-3-5-12-a-837170/

Trinity is a project of a group that didn't like the way KDE 4 was going. Trinity is an expansion on the old KDE 3.5 .

Myself, at present I have ten Linux distros installed on my desktop hard drive.
Presently using Linux Mint Debian for my work-horse. It is a running upgrade and does not carry a version number.
I also have Debian Squeeze , Ubuntu Natty , UberStudent 1.0 (which is a very heavily laden with student-interest software.
Also have Xubentu 11.04 which is a variant of Natty using XFCE desktop.
Lots of things to try.

bobd1304

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:07 am
Great hearing from you Stan the Man and Tekmate! Smile
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:49 am
Yes Trinity is an extension to KDE 3.5 and I have to say still my favorite desktop environment. It is much nicer on slower systems than KDE 4 or Gnome 3 and it has more features than the things like XFCE or LXDE so at least for now I keep using it.
Ray
Ray

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:13 pm
jpisini wrote:Yes Trinity is an extension to KDE 3.5 and I have to say still my favorite desktop environment. It is much nicer on slower systems than KDE 4 or Gnome 3 and it has more features than the things like XFCE or LXDE so at least for now I keep using it.

There's no doubt in my mind that your Trinity seems to be the fastest system that I've used and just a quick question, since it's based on Debian I presume that it will be upgradeable for some time. I've gone back to it and am thinking of adding some extra programs but the longevity of the system is important as I don't like changing my main machine too frequently. I'm currently using Pinguy but would consider changing if the longer term prospects were good.

I wonder whether Ray has thought about switching to Trinity and Debian.

Hope things are on the improve for you and the family John.

Ray
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:39 pm
Ray wrote:
jpisini wrote:Yes Trinity is an extension to KDE 3.5 and I have to say still my favorite desktop environment. It is much nicer on slower systems than KDE 4 or Gnome 3 and it has more features than the things like XFCE or LXDE so at least for now I keep using it.

There's no doubt in my mind that your Trinity seems to be the fastest system that I've used and just a quick question, since it's based on Debian I presume that it will be upgradeable for some time. I've gone back to it and am thinking of adding some extra programs but the longevity of the system is important as I don't like changing my main machine too frequently. I'm currently using Pinguy but would consider changing if the longer term prospects were good.

Ray

Actually latest PhoenixOS Final was based on Trinity with some fixes from John.

Ray
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:27 pm
First let me say welcome and its nice to see the old Linspire/Freespire gang!

I use on my main Laptop system: PhoenixOS (Karmic)

For our store computer: PhoenixOS (Lucid)

For my Epad PhoenixOS: Experimental Android Edition with Android Market

Ray ...

Ray
Ray

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:12 am
Ray wrote:

Ray
Admin wrote:

Ray

What about updates Ray I notice that K3B is version 1.0.5 when the latest version is 2.0.2 or something like that. The 1 version must be several years old by now. Can the system be updated to the later version of K3b after removing the existing version.

Ray
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:37 pm
Ray wrote:
Ray wrote:

Ray
Admin wrote:

Ray

What about updates Ray I notice that K3B is version 1.0.5 when the latest version is 2.0.2 or something like that. The 1 version must be several years old by now. Can the system be updated to the later version of K3b after removing the existing version.

Ray

The reason for that, is later versions are kde4 specific. I am working on kde4 emulation, so far I have kopete working under kde 3.5 as you can see in this link:

http://raccomputers.com/kopete.png

It tricks kopete into thinking kde 4 is there even though its really kde 3.5. We will see.

Ray.
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:42 am
You can install kde 4 apps in kde3 and vice versa but it seems to load twice the libraries. This is not an issue on a super fast machines but older systems I recommend one or the other. So you could use the latest K3B and the trinity desktop environment. the reason I haven't is 1 the above library thing 2 is the new k3b seems to add nothing but blue ray support and I don't have one so no need to update.

As to the Debian version Ray is using yes it is getting patches from the Pearson group and I know a few people running it on the latest Wheezy betas so unless Debian makes huge changes in the underlying code you can continue to use KDE3 for at least 4 more years with the latest OS.
ftinius
ftinius

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:07 pm
HI Gang.
Been using Mepis 11 and Debian lenny and trying to get used to KDE4 will have to try out trinity sounds good, have spare computer to try it on.

Frank
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:31 pm
ftinius wrote:HI Gang.
Been using Mepis 11 and Debian lenny and trying to get used to KDE4 will have to try out trinity sounds good, have spare computer to try it on.

Frank

Hey nice to see you! Boy sure is feeling like the old Linspire/Freespire days. Lets get Kendall so we can blame it on him hehehehe Very Happy

Ray
ftinius
ftinius

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:49 pm
Admin wrote:

Frank

Hey nice to see you! Boy sure is feeling like the old Linspire/Freespire days. Lets get Kendall so we can blame it on him hehehehe Very Happy

Ray

Yep, defiantly must be Kindall's fault. Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:29 am
ftinius wrote:
Admin wrote:

Frank

Ray

Yep, defiantly must be Kindall's fault. Very Happy

Yup it must be hehehe. Its funny, but Kendall was a big help in the forums. He said me may pop in here every now and then, is job been keeping him busy.

Ray What a Face
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Old Spire Buddies Empty Linux Mint Debian

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 pm
Linux Mint Debian complained about broken dependencies. Reloading my trusty Linux Mint 11 (Ubuntu) on my netbook :-)
JohnP
JohnP

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:14 pm
Hi All, Been a while for me as well. I ended up running Mint as well. I just upgraded one laptop from Mint 8 to 11 here.
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Old Spire Buddies Empty Linux Mint 11

Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:40 pm
JohnP wrote:Hi All, Been a while for me as well. I ended up running Mint as well. I just upgraded one laptop from Mint 8 to 11 here.

Linux Mint (Ubuntu) just plain works great since version 8 on

Very Happy . Good hearing from you JohnP.

Bob
JohnP
JohnP

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:51 pm
bobd13045 wrote:

Bob

Hi Bob, Of the distros I've tried, I feel the most comfortable with Mint. Or should I say, so far! Laughing Since my forced retirement for medical reasons, I can now spend more time playing with the computers. What a Face I visit a Hamfest not to far away each spring and get new toys. Have several new to me laptops that are dual core so I am in hog heaven so to speak... pig
But Rays idea of using Android as a base for his next release does sound interesting.. Wink
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:01 am
JohnP wrote:
bobd13045 wrote:

Bob

Hi Bob, Of the distros I've tried, I feel the most comfortable with Mint. Or should I say, so far! Laughing Since my forced retirement for medical reasons, I can now spend more time playing with the computers. What a Face I visit a Hamfest not to far away each spring and get new toys. Have several new to me laptops that are dual core so I am in hog heaven so to speak... pig
But Rays idea of using Android as a base for his next release does sound interesting.. Wink

I'll be glad to test it for him as usual. Very Happy

I'm still waiting for Google to come out with their OS too Very Happy

Bob
JohnP
JohnP

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:13 pm
bobd13045 wrote:
JohnP wrote:
bobd13045 wrote:

Bob

Hi Bob,

Bob

I'm more interested in Android than the ChromeOS, at least at the moment. I've been trying out a couple tablets and I like Android so far, as long as I can do the things I like to do. Internet, videos, read e-books and the like. If Ray uses the Android x86 version, I've got laptops and netbooks I can try it on. Not too well versed on the tablets to try there, yet! The impression I get about ChromeOS is that you use local storage to boot it and run, only. Everything is out there 'in the cloud'. Do I have support to view videos or read e-books also on that drive? I'm not sure it does. I have an HP netbook that has a 16Gig SSD that would be perfect for either one, so most likely I'll try it! We'll see when it finally gets released.. Wink JohnP
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:51 pm
JohnP wrote:
bobd13045 wrote:
JohnP wrote:
bobd13045 wrote:

Bob

Hi Bob,

Bob

I'm more interested in Android than the ChromeOS, at least at the moment. I've been trying out a couple tablets and I like Android so far, as long as I can do the things I like to do. Internet, videos, read e-books and the like. If Ray uses the Android x86 version, I've got laptops and netbooks I can try it on. Not too well versed on the tablets to try there, yet! The impression I get about ChromeOS is that you use local storage to boot it and run, only. Everything is out there 'in the cloud'. Do I have support to view videos or read e-books also on that drive? I'm not sure it does. I have an HP netbook that has a 16Gig SSD that would be perfect for either one, so most likely I'll try it! We'll see when it finally gets released.. Wink JohnP

It was actually these awesome Aishuo tablets we sell with the samsung chipset that got me inspired into it. I dont even carry the earlier Apad 8s anymore, as these are so much faster and better quality! My phone always been cool with android, but these tablets are blazin fast! We actually sell more of these tablets than netbooks/laptops now!

So I think PhoenixOS X86 Android version is gonna be pretty slick, im already running an pre-alpha and its lightnin fast and suprisingly stable for such an early build!

Ray Very Happy
JohnP
JohnP

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:02 pm
Admin wrote:
It was actually these awesome Aishuo tablets we sell with the samsung chipset that got me inspired into it. I dont even carry the earlier Apad 8s anymore, as these are so much faster and better quality! My phone always been cool with android, but these tablets are blazin fast! We actually sell more of these tablets than netbooks/laptops now!

So I think PhoenixOS X86 Android version is gonna be pretty slick, im already running an pre-alpha and its lightnin fast and suprisingly stable for such an early build!

Ray Very Happy

So what are you running the pre-alpha on? that's what I'm curious about.... What a Face
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:14 pm
JohnP wrote:
Admin wrote:

Ray Very Happy

So what are you running the pre-alpha on? that's what I'm curious about.... What a Face

It was tested on an acer aspire atom netbook, thanks to a customer lending us his netbook to try it. Right now Im running it on my MSI Intel Dual care Nvidia laptop and its practically instantaneous!

Ray What a Face
Sponsored content