PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

PhoenixOS BlackHawk RC1 based on Precise LTS with 5 year support. KDE 4.  Bug Report Empty PhoenixOS BlackHawk RC1 based on Precise LTS with 5 year support. KDE 4. Bug Report

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:22 pm
Ok I feel like this release has the look and feel of a FInal Linspire product. If there are any bugs that you find please post them here, as I am thinking of making this release either Release Candidate 2 or FInal depending on feedback here. Thanks again for your support!

Ray
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

PhoenixOS BlackHawk RC1 based on Precise LTS with 5 year support. KDE 4.  Bug Report Empty Re: PhoenixOS BlackHawk RC1 based on Precise LTS with 5 year support. KDE 4. Bug Report

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:50 pm
Admin wrote:Ok I feel like this release has the look and feel of a FInal Linspire product. If there are any bugs that you find please post them here, as I am thinking of making this release either Release Candidate 2 or FInal depending on feedback here. Thanks again for your support!

Ray

Sweet!
Admin
Admin
Admin

PhoenixOS BlackHawk RC1 based on Precise LTS with 5 year support. KDE 4.  Bug Report Empty Re: PhoenixOS BlackHawk RC1 based on Precise LTS with 5 year support. KDE 4. Bug Report

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:39 am
No special request or bug fixes? I will wait till next week, then I will start with John on making final iso!

Ray...
Bob3
Bob3

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:17 pm
Admin wrote:No special request or bug fixes? I will wait till next week, then I will start with John on making final ISO!

Ray...
What kind of Java is in the critter?
Hopefully a flavor that plays nice with: http://www.jbidwatcher.com

My skype broke, by the way.
If ya take my old handle & change the underscore (_) to a dash (-) & you'll be golden.
A couple more weeks & I'll be dark for a few weeks, heading to places so remote that daylight takes a week longer to get there.
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:55 pm
I'm not in front of a Phoenix box right now (at work) this has Oracle java so it should work with jbidwatcher.
Bob3
Bob3

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:38 pm
jpisini wrote:I'm not in front of a Phoenix box right now (at work) this has Oracle java so it should work with jbidwatcher.
Yep, it will. TANX!
What a Face
When's the final going to be ready (guesstimate?)
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:25 pm
Should be pretty soon. The one you have shouldn't have any major bugs my need an update but other than that it is pretty solid.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:26 pm
Bob3 wrote:
jpisini wrote:I'm not in front of a Phoenix box right now (at work) this has Oracle java so it should work with jbidwatcher.
Yep, it will. TANX!
What a Face
When's the final going to be ready (guesstimate?)

I agree with John, Final should be sometime in the next week or so. Its pretty much rock solid and we are even using it on all our computers at the shop!
I also tested jbidwatcher and it works.

Ray..
Ray
Ray

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:55 pm
Ray,

Just a quick question, when activating Cairo dock with OpenGl, transparency is not available although it should be as far as I understand. While messing about I discovered the Compositing check in Settings - System Settings - Desktop Effects - Advavced and changed the compositing to Xrender and suddenly transparency was in effect on Cairo Dock, it did however deactivate a couple of other items.

Is there something amiss with the implementation of OpenGL in Phoenix as Opengl seems to be ok in other distros that I've tried. Just for information I am running Phoenix as a VM using Vmware Workstation 8 and it's pretty quick.

As another question before I go searching - is there anyway to get transparency in the normal panel.

Ray
Ray
Ray

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:10 am
Where do I find information on the KDE version in Phoenix, it's KDE4.???? I am also looking for assistance in installing the Wally screen changer, anyone had success with this.

Ray

Posted in the wrong thread and I've duplicated the post
Bob3
Bob3

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:04 pm
Its pretty much rock solid and we are even using it on all our computers at the shop!
I'll give it a shot on my sister's Mini; she'd been having trouble with the old install not wanting to switch wireless networks without "prodding", a deal breaker for somebody who's "technologically challenged". Rolling Eyes
I have that same install on a ThinkPad that my kid's mother-in-law is using; a fun trick because the one program she's GOTTA have is Word Perfect! (I have it set to run seamlessly on a VM; it looks like it's running natively!) What a Face
It must be a sturdy install, it survived a lightening strike that fried 3/4 of the electronics in the joint, something that happens with annoying regularity over there. Suspect
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:12 pm
Ray wrote:Where do I find information on the KDE version in Phoenix, it's KDE4.???? I am also looking for assistance in installing the Wally screen changer, anyone had success with this.

Ray

Posted in the wrong thread and I've duplicated the post

It is the latest from Kubuntu 4.8.4

I am not sure about your opengl question it seems OK to me but I am not doing anything out of the ordinary 3d screensavers and light gaming.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:55 pm
Ray wrote:Ray,

Just a quick question, when activating Cairo dock with OpenGl, transparency is not available although it should be as far as I understand. While messing about I discovered the Compositing check in Settings - System Settings - Desktop Effects - Advavced and changed the compositing to Xrender and suddenly transparency was in effect on Cairo Dock, it did however deactivate a couple of other items.

Is there something amiss with the implementation of OpenGL in Phoenix as Opengl seems to be ok in other distros that I've tried. Just for information I am running Phoenix as a VM using Vmware Workstation 8 and it's pretty quick.

As another question before I go searching - is there anyway to get transparency in the normal panel.

Ray

I have to check that out, because I use google earth flawlessly and some opengl screensavers flawlessly. I will fire it up on a test box next week and let you know. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Ray..
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:10 am

Ray

Hi Ray,
I know it was a long time coming but I think I may have a fix. i ended up having a few issues with OpenGL and it turns out that Nvidia drivers had been installed on an earlier build and were causing issues. To fix I had to run the following
sudo apt-get remove nvidia-settings
sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
and then reboot.

I am currently building a new version that will have that built in as well as have the latest KDE 4.9 and LibreOffice 3.6. I hope to have this ready by next week, maybe right after the holiday.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:25 pm
jpisini wrote:

Ray

Hi Ray,
I know it was a long time coming but I think I may have a fix. i ended up having a few issues with OpenGL and it turns out that Nvidia drivers had been installed on an earlier build and were causing issues. To fix I had to run the following
sudo apt-get remove nvidia-settings
sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
and then reboot.

I am currently building a new version that will have that built in as well as have the latest KDE 4.9 and LibreOffice 3.6. I hope to have this ready by next week, maybe right after the holiday.

Thanks John, I was just about to email you on the next iso: glad I didnt upload it! Email me and did you get my last email?

Ray.. Very Happy
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:31 pm
Not sure if I did or not to be honest. Do you have any ideas on what you want in the next one? I have upgraded KDE and LibreOffice. I added Krusader it was asked for in another thread. I fixed the GL problems I found (not sure if that will fix everyone's but I am pretty sure). Added a few extras that I think make it a bit nicer and did some small menu tweaks. I think you will be happy.

I have been swamped between work and home. I removed the bricks from the front stairs today as they needed to be redone (they had started coming loose.) and found all sorts of sill rot that took all day to repair. I won't be able to work on the stairs for a couple of days now (no time). I figure by next Monday I should be done if there are no more surprises.

I did build a version of 12.04 with KDE 4.9 completely removed and TDE R14 installed, but honestly it is flakey everything will work great today then a patch gets pushed tomorrow that goofs up everything. Not quite ready for release but it once done those of us that like KDE3 are going to be in love.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:10 pm
jpisini wrote:Not sure if I did or not to be honest. Do you have any ideas on what you want in the next one? I have upgraded KDE and LibreOffice. I added Krusader it was asked for in another thread. I fixed the GL problems I found (not sure if that will fix everyone's but I am pretty sure). Added a few extras that I think make it a bit nicer and did some small menu tweaks. I think you will be happy.

I have been swamped between work and home. I removed the bricks from the front stairs today as they needed to be redone (they had started coming loose.) and found all sorts of sill rot that took all day to repair. I won't be able to work on the stairs for a couple of days now (no time). I figure by next Monday I should be done if there are no more surprises.

I did build a version of 12.04 with KDE 4.9 completely removed and TDE R14 installed, but honestly it is flakey everything will work great today then a patch gets pushed tomorrow that goofs up everything. Not quite ready for release but it once done those of us that like KDE3 are going to be in love.

I'd like to enclose the new default wallpaper and start icon if possible a long with the updated Google Chrome as an extra browser in case people want that instead of firefox.
Along with the same packages we enclosed in last rc. Please email me a link before posting it here so I can test and make sure its all set to go. Thanks.

http://raccomputers.com/phoenixwp.png
http://raccomputers.com/phoenix.png

Ray..
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:07 pm
This one is built off the last one so it has wallpaper and start button as well as all the Phoenix goodness we have come to know and love. I will let you know when it is ready. Not returning to work until after the holiday so uploading is going to take some doing. I have DSL downloads are decent uploads are god awful it will take some time once it is ready.
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 am
What do you guys think about using preload? http://techthrob.com/2009/03/02/drastically-speed-up-your-linux-system-with-preload/
It has to learn how you work like the Windows version so it isn't much good right at the beginning and may even slow things down a tiny bit, but once it learns your programs it helps a lot. This is good if you are the type to use the same 10 programs all the time and not much else. If you use 10 different programs every day it won't really help.

I'm almost done. I have some minor tweaking to do and then testing. Won't get much done today or tomorrow though. Yard work today and yard sale tomorrow. Gonna be a hot one too.
Ray
Ray

PhoenixOS BlackHawk RC1 based on Precise LTS with 5 year support. KDE 4.  Bug Report Empty add program to startup

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:41 pm
How do I add a program to the system startup menu, can't find anywhere to do it. Need to add Wally to startup.

Ray
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:08 pm
Do you mean to autostart? Or actually add something to the menu itself?
Ray
Ray

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 am
jpisini wrote:Do you mean to autostart? Or actually add something to the menu itself?
John,

I mean when the system boots for Wally to start immediately so that it is immediately operational and does not require starting from the menu.

The option to start on bootup is available but not active in the Wally Settings page - don't know why that is so but I'll check out the Wally site and see whether there's anything there.

I couldn't find the normal Start Up programs process on the menus.

Ray
Ray
Ray

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:16 am
John,

Ignore what I said I think that I have completed the process. I finally found the Autostart process in System Settings and added Wally, a logout seems to be ok, I'll now try a restart (which I should have done first). I'll edit this post.

Ray
Ray
Ray

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 pm
All my Wally problems resolved. However the Final version runs well as a livedvd for me but when trying to install in a virtual machine using Vmware 8 it comes to a grinding halt after the disk allocation window with the message Installer Crashed and then returns to the live session.

I'll check whether there is an install option on the live boot screen, if so I'll try that.

Another problem which seems to be 12.04 specific and not limited to Phoenix seems to be the Shutdown time. Shutdown of my vm's using 12.04 takes in excess of 2mins 30 secs which is far too long. Is there a log file I can check to see what's causing the holdup. It doesn't seem logical that a system that boots in less than 60secs should take 5 times longer to shutdown.

Ray
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 am
Ray wrote:All my Wally problems resolved. However the Final version runs well as a livedvd for me but when trying to install in a virtual machine using Vmware 8 it comes to a grinding halt after the disk allocation window with the message Installer Crashed and then returns to the live session.

I'll check whether there is an install option on the live boot screen, if so I'll try that.

Another problem which seems to be 12.04 specific and not limited to Phoenix seems to be the Shutdown time. Shutdown of my vm's using 12.04 takes in excess of 2mins 30 secs which is far too long. Is there a log file I can check to see what's causing the holdup. It doesn't seem logical that a system that boots in less than 60secs should take 5 times longer to shutdown.

Ray

I never tried it in VMware but I would pm John, cuz thats how he tests the builds and see if he can point you in the right direction. I guess I am going to have to install VMware in the future, to ensure better compatibility.

Ray... Very Happy
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum