PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
w8vfp

usb permission Empty usb permission

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:20 am
I think that the reason I have to run the fldigi program in root is I don't have perission. I have to be added to the dialout group. How is this done? The debian forums says to adduser username group. Would user be my login name? What would the group be?
Dave
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

usb permission Empty Re: usb permission

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 pm
easiest way is if it is not installed already open a terminal and sudo apt-get install kuser then sudo kuser and find your guy in the list last tab is groups find dialout and add a check next to it done.
w8vfp

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:21 pm
jpisini wrote:easiest way is if it is not installed already open a terminal and sudo apt-get install kuser then sudo kuser and find your guy in the list last tab is groups find dialout and add a check next to it done.

Thanks that worked. Now Fldigi controls the rig as user. Now I got to get the laptop to work. Have mint 13 on it and it is different. Going to try to replace Mint 11 with Phoenix but can't run it live. So will see if it just will install.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:00 pm
w8vfp wrote:
jpisini wrote:easiest way is if it is not installed already open a terminal and sudo apt-get install kuser then sudo kuser and find your guy in the list last tab is groups find dialout and add a check next to it done.

Thanks that worked. Now Fldigi controls the rig as user. Now I got to get the laptop to work. Have mint 13 on it and it is different. Going to try to replace Mint 11 with Phoenix but can't run it live. So will see if it just will install.

Glad it worked for you: I added kuser for next iso. John and I try to get everything, but sometimes we miss something. Thanks for letting us know.

Enjoy and let me know how you make out with the laptop!

Ray...
w8vfp

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:13 pm
Admin wrote:
w8vfp wrote:

Glad it worked for you: I added kuser for next iso. John and I try to get everything, but sometimes we miss something. Thanks for letting us know.

Ray...
Now that I know what the problem was it is no big thing. Mint 13 and mint debian are the same. Can not get Phoenix to install on the laptop. I get the screen that lets you pick what you would like to do but only thing that works is the memory check. Won't do anything even with reduced graphics. Ubuntu 12.04 won't install either. But Mint 13 does. It is a older machine Compaq Presario 2223US. 1.3 Gig processoe and 1 gig of ram. Opensusie runs on it and some others. I like to run the radio with Linux just more stable and a lot of the software is for Linux.
Dave
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:43 am
w8vfp wrote:
Admin wrote:
w8vfp wrote:

Ray...
Now that I know what the problem was it is no big thing. Mint 13 and mint debian are the same. Can not get Phoenix to install on the laptop. I get the screen that lets you pick what you would like to do but only thing that works is the memory check. Won't do anything even with reduced graphics. Ubuntu 12.04 won't install either. But Mint 13 does. It is a older machine Compaq Presario 2223US. 1.3 Gig processoe and 1 gig of ram. Opensusie runs on it and some others. I like to run the radio with Linux just more stable and a lot of the software is for Linux.
Dave

Ok, I'll see if I can rig up a text based installer; to see if that works for you.

Ray
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:01 pm
Do you know what graphics chip it has?
w8vfp

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:07 am
jpisini wrote:Do you know what graphics chip it has?

I found by booting into XP, It says that it is an Intel 82852/82855/GM/GME graphic controller.
I had to install mate with mint 13 Cinnamon wouldn't install. This machine is getting old. I have had it about 8 years. Mint Debian runs on it. I think that it must be Mate also. It didn't give me a choice, just installed.But the ISO says Mate/Cinnaamon.

Dave
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:00 am
I think you might have this issue let me do some research on it.
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/09/20/1245240/stubborn-intel-graphics-bug-haunts-ubuntu-1204
w8vfp

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:38 pm
jpisini wrote:I think you might have this issue let me do some research on it.
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/09/20/1245240/stubborn-intel-graphics-bug-haunts-ubuntu-1204

I wonder what Mint is doing different from Ubuntu. All of the Mint OS seem to run on this laptop. I am using Mint Debian for this post but also have Mint 13 Mate on here. I just keep trying different ones until I get something that mostly works and go from there. As long as it will run my radio and logging program, E-mail and internet I am happy. I do use the other stuff also.
Dave
Sponsored content