PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Ray
Ray

Autologin Process Empty Autologin Process

Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:57 pm
Been trying to find out how to change my machine to autologin when booting, however despite extensive 'googling' it seems that most of the so called methods are now ancient history and no longer applicable. Would some kind guru please detail the simple steps which are required to activate, (what I consider should be a very simple task), process.

I sometimes think that the very talented people who write this code are paranoid about system security but not about personal data security, It really should not be this difficult for a normal user to perform such a basic task. I've personally been programming in the commercial world since 1963 and the hoops that have to be negotiated to 'own' your own computer using linux is absolutely mind boggling. I really did appreciate the Lindows/Linspire model that I used from April 2002, (an early pioneer) and have been struggling to find a comparable model since it's demise, Klikit was better in my opinion but was unfortunately, imho, sabotaged by some of it's users and was discontinued.

Phoenix final is serving me well but I don't really want to reinstall just to 'autologin'

Rambling over.

Ray
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Autologin Process Empty Re: Autologin Process

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 am
Ray wrote:Been trying to find out how to change my machine to autologin when booting, however despite extensive 'googling' it seems that most of the so called methods are now ancient history and no longer applicable. Would some kind guru please detail the simple steps which are required to activate, (what I consider should be a very simple task), process.

I sometimes think that the very talented people who write this code are paranoid about system security but not about personal data security, It really should not be this difficult for a normal user to perform such a basic task. I've personally been programming in the commercial world since 1963 and the hoops that have to be negotiated to 'own' your own computer using linux is absolutely mind boggling. I really did appreciate the Lindows/Linspire model that I used from April 2002, (an early pioneer) and have been struggling to find a comparable model since it's demise, Klikit was better in my opinion but was unfortunately, imho, sabotaged by some of it's users and was discontinued.

Phoenix final is serving me well but I don't really want to reinstall just to 'autologin'

Rambling over.

Ray

I will fire up my laptop (running PhoenixOS final) and write down step by step how to do auto login process and post here for you and others. I am glad the final is serving you well, and I may just package up the Netflix into a script so people like you don't have to reinstall PhoenixOS since your version the updates are auto applied thru the repo and the only thing missing is netflix.

Ray...
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm
Auto Login

Click PhoenixOS Launch button

Pick Settings --> Then Pick System Settings

Click Login Screen

Click Convenience Tab

Check Enable Auto Login Box

Then Click apply

You now have auto login, enjoy!

Ray...
Ray
Ray

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:18 pm
Admin wrote:Auto Login

Click PhoenixOS Launch button

Pick Settings --> Then Pick System Settings

Click Login Screen

Click Convenience Tab

Check Enable Auto Login Box

Then Click apply

You now have auto login, enjoy!

Ray...

Thanks for that Ray, can't believe how long I searched for 'Login Manager' (as detailed in all the google results), never gave much thought to 'Login Screen' which I presumed related to the login screen - how silly of me - changed ok with a very interesting side effect all my standard fonts and font sizes changed - how did that happen I asked myself??? I presume that the autologin used a different DE than the one I usually logged into, however changing the fonts is normally ok, I'll check it out.

Netflix is not available in NZ so from my perspective it's not required.

Ray

Not sure whether I've mentioned it before but when changing fonts using the Adjust all fonts tab the following occurs:

Mark the font and change
Mark the font style and change
Mark the font size and change
Click Apply

the font style does not appear to be applied by this process, to activate the user needs to select every individual 'font setting' using the Choose button and then change the font style. Very strange.

Ray
Sponsored content