PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Poof Empty Poof

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:04 pm
I might not be on as much these days as my laptop died. If you have a question or need help in the meantime you can still email me, it goes to my google phone and I will do my best to walk you thru it. I can also chat via Yahoo or MSN or Skype as well; thanks to the wonders of the Google phone running PhoenixOS Very Happy

HQLinux and Cloudy you have the bridge

Ray What a Face alien
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG
http://froggyslinks.com/index.php

Poof Empty Re: Poof

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:07 pm
What exactly happened to it? I'm sort of a Piss-Around-Hardware type of guy.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:20 pm
LinuXFroG wrote:What exactly happened to it? I'm sort of a Piss-Around-Hardware type of guy.

Motherboard went bad, and LCD burned out, only displays without light. Cheaper for me to buy another laptop, found one for 350.00. Just gotta save up.
old tech
old tech

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:29 pm
Ray...you know they have converter plugins so you can plug your laptop hard drive into your desktop so you can save your data.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:34 pm
old tech wrote:Ray...you know they have converter plugins so you can plug your laptop hard drive into your desktop so you can save your data.

Yup we sell them in our store. Problem is, I have all my PhoenixOS development on that drive. My laptop was an ACER aspire 4520 AMD Athlon dual core 2.0 processor which was fast enough for making these isos, saves tremendous amount of time. The HD is brand new 7200 rpms 16 meg cache 160 gig i Just bought it last month and just added 4 gigs memory to it. So I am looking for an identical unit so I can just pop the hd and memory in it, and be back in business. Found one for 350.00; so now just gotta save up for it.
In the meantime using the store computer or google phone to keep in touch.

Ray
old tech
old tech

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:50 pm
I forgot you have the store. Good move on an identical one.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:04 pm
I might be backup soon thanks to a rather generous PhoenixOS user and friend. Will keep you posted.

Ray What a Face
old tech
old tech

Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 pm
Ray..do you do the art work for PhoenixOS? If so I got this out of my camera. I was taking some pictures of very old magazines and this came out number 1. All the rest were normal.
I though you might use it as a base for a desktop background with added overlays.

I don't know how to post a JPG

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18997304@N04/4932889620/

The picture is very large and looks a lot better on my desktop.

Turns out I already had an account there because thats where my email account is.
I'm going to look at the other one also.

Last edited by old tech on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:45 pm
Best way is to upload it to tinypic.com then use the [img] code to post it here.
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:49 pm
old tech wrote:Ray..do you do the art work for PhoenixOS? If so I got this out of my camera. I was taking some pictures of very old magazines and this came out number 1. All the rest were normal.
I though you might use it as a base for a desktop background with added overlays.

I don't know how to post a JPG

An easy way...

Upload the picture to Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/

It's free, you have to set up an account before you can upload... then post the link to your picture here in the forums.

Harvey
old tech
old tech

Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:05 pm
Thanks guys
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:09 pm
old tech wrote:Thanks guys

I do the artwork and bowhuntr's son Very Happy

Ray What a Face
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:11 pm
I got just got the new laptop, so working on getting the old hd copied over to the new system. I should be back up and running very soon, then can resume work on PhoenixOS: thanks to a generous PhoenixOS User and friend!

Ray What a Face
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:26 pm
Admin wrote:I got just got the new laptop, so working on getting the old hd copied over to the new system. I should be back up and running very soon, then can resume work on PhoenixOS: thanks to a generous PhoenixOS User and friend!

Ray What a Face

GREAT to hear... Cool Cool Cool

Can't wait for the surprises to the Lucid release... but to be totally honest, your original Lucid release is humming along perfectly with nary any problems...

Keep up the GREAT work, Ray... and THANKS for ALL that you are doing...

Harvey
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:11 pm
I can't wait for a Karmic release.....
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:02 pm
LinuXFroG wrote:I can't wait for a Karmic release.....

Personally...

I hope that Ray doesn't waste his time or efforts on Karmic... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Lucid is the current release and with Maverick almost in beta... not worth the time nor effort to do a Karmic release, in my opinion...

Harvey
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:39 pm
Well, thanx for your encouragement in this matter. I for one hate Lucid, more then I hate derogatory statements. Lucid can take a flying leap for all I care. I guess it is also in your opinion that him makin a Hardy release was worthless?
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:55 pm
Well this is the way that I look at it...

Ray is a one man band, so to speak. No one is working with him or helping him with PhoenixOS. He also has a business to run, family, and friends to see and be with, etc., etc., etc... He is making an older version available (Hardy) 8.04 LTS which means Ubuntu has a long term support feature for that version. Lucid also has LTS with it... and like I said... Maverick is right around the corner.

Tell me why Ray should waste his valuable time working on a version that has no long term support and is basically getting more and more obsolete as the weeks go by??? I truly want to know... Question Question Question

As for Lucid, I don't know what your beef with it is, but I am sure that it is probably fixed by now... There have been tons of updates to it since it was released.

It is called allocation of resources, and when there aren't lots and lots of resources available, it makes sense to scale back on the "wants"... and concentrate on the "needs" of a distro, which of course means support for...

Harvey
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:56 pm
I never once said you were wrong. I know he's a One-Man Band as you call it. I for one just will not use ANY of the 10 editions. IMHO they all suck. I even dl'd the 10.04.1 and it still sux. Since the needs of the many is IMHO more important then the wants of the one, I will detract my previous comment and just move along.

I understand that most of you are in the mindset that the latest, is the greatest and best. Lucid is not a "usable" OS for me. So in order to find something that is, I must move to the next project that believes as I do: "Stick with what works and hope the next release is better."

With that said, I will be on my way.

Ray, I give all my best to you and your project. It is a worthy project, but it is just not meant that I be a part of it.

~Froggy~

Deffi
Deffi

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:34 am
IMHO I agree with Harvey. Lucid at present does not work for me but Hardy is LTS Karmic is not. The problem is not with Phoenix but Lucid. From the inception of Phoenix events have been moving fast. There have been constant updates of the kernel and Ubuntu has moved from 7.10 to 10.10 around the corner and KDE 4. I feel it would be best to catch up or get ahead of the game, but as said, Ray has done 99% of the work and has other more important commitments.

David
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:38 am
LinuXFroG wrote:I never once said you were wrong. I know he's a One-Man Band as you call it. I for one just will not use ANY of the 10 editions. IMHO they all suck. I even dl'd the 10.04.1 and it still sux. Since the needs of the many is IMHO more important then the wants of the one, I will detract my previous comment and just move along.

I understand that most of you are in the mindset that the latest, is the greatest and best. Lucid is not a "usable" OS for me. So in order to find something that is, I must move to the next project that believes as I do: "Stick with what works and hope the next release is better."

Ray, I give all my best to you and your project. It is a worthy project, but it is just not meant that I be a part of it.

~Froggy~

WOW Shocked Shocked Shocked

I didn't mean for you to get mad and leave... sorry Embarassed

And the vitriol and hatred towards an operating system??? That makes no sense to me. Especially when there are an almost infinite number of ways to customize and personalize an OS to your liking...

Oh well... that's what is GREAT about Linux, there are hundreds of distros out there. I have personally tried several of them over the years, but they all have one thing in common... they are JUST an operating system, nothing else. I hope that you find what you are looking for, truly. However, I don't expect that you will find any other distros based off of Karmic, other than Karmic of course. Karmic is almost a year old now (was released on 2009/10/29) and in Linux time, is getting more and more obsolete as the weeks roll by. I don't espouse that the "latest, greatest" is the ONLY way to go... but then again, "if you don't move forward, you fall back"... and that is true in more than the Linux world, it's true about life in general.

I hope that you reconsider, and still be a part of this fine distro... There are others here that run different OS's than PhoenixOS,so you are definitely welcome here.

Kind regards,

Harvey
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:06 am
hqlinux wrote:
LinuXFroG wrote:I never once said you were wrong. I know he's a One-Man Band as you call it. I for one just will not use ANY of the 10 editions. IMHO they all suck. I even dl'd the 10.04.1 and it still sux. Since the needs of the many is IMHO more important then the wants of the one, I will detract my previous comment and just move along.

~Froggy~

WOW Shocked Shocked Shocked

I didn't mean for you to get mad and leave... sorry Embarassed

And the vitriol and hatred towards an operating system??? That makes no sense to me. Especially when there are an almost infinite number of ways to customize and personalize an OS to your liking...

Oh well... that's what is GREAT about Linux, there are hundreds of distros out there. I have personally tried several of them over the years, but they all have one thing in common... they are JUST an operating system, nothing else. I hope that you find what you are looking for, truly. However, I don't expect that you will find any other distros based off of Karmic, other than Karmic of course. Karmic is almost a year old now (was released on 2009/10/29) and in Linux time, is getting more and more obsolete as the weeks roll by. I don't espouse that the "latest, greatest" is the ONLY way to go... but then again, "if you don't move forward, you fall back"... and that is true in more than the Linux world, it's true about life in general.

I hope that you reconsider, and still be a part of this fine distro... There are others here that run different OS's than PhoenixOS,so you are definitely welcome here.

Kind regards,

Harvey

Wow Im only down for a few days and a feud!
In this forums everyone is entitled to their own opinion and there is no need to fight. We just need to all get along and if you don't agree with what someone saids, thats fine we are not Xandros where we have to watch what we say: speak your mind; with that being said heres an update.

Ok first Before my laptop Died: I managed to make one more Hardy Final, and one more Karmic Beta.

Future Plans is this:

Hardy will be released the last and its final, since its already done: however it can be updated easily using apt or software updates and has long term suppport. I will not be doing any more versions of Hardy, as its already final which I will be uploading soon.

Karmic I will be releasing a beta updated version, this most likely be the last release as its pretty bug free and has long term support; but at any rate an updated version is coming out either way since I already had it done before laptop died. This is the version I am using now on my laptop and it works like a finished product.

Lucid: Thats what I will be working on with my new laptop; for me this works like a finished product as well. As for the future of Lucid: I am not sure about yet cuz I want to try Maverick again before I say what Lucid holds for the future. The theory is to develop a full final version of Lucid and that be the base till Maverick evolves.

Ray

What a Face
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:13 am
I am back running on my laptop, and running PhoenixOS Karmic on it. I wanted to use Lucid: as there are more up to date programs supporting Lucid than Karmic; but faced 3 major obstacles:

LinDVD will not install in Lucid

Powermanager will not work in Lucid: so if you have a laptop it automatically goes in battery saving mode which sucks, cuz then you don't get the full speed of your processor.

Nvidia is kinda quirky in Lucid, while in Karmic it JUST WORKS :-)

If I ever find a way to fix those 3 things then maybe I would install Lucid on my laptop, but untill then Karmic is on my laptop.

Ray

P.S. Update I might have made some progress with Nvidia and Lucid using latest Nvidia, we will have to see, needs more testing.
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:29 pm
Sorry folks, yesterday was a bad day. Murphy's Law was in complete control and when Harvey blasted me like that, even though I'm sure he didn't mean it to come out the way I took it, it was just the icing on the cake.

Yes, I prefer Karmic, it is MY preference and you do not have to agree with it. Every thing just WORKS properly in it. Lucid, you have to work your a$$ off just to get alot of things to work. I just want to get on and go! Not piss around and make things work just to enjoy m'self on my system

Karmic also does not come with that blasted Ubuntu One! I totally cannot stand it. I do however use the online storage, but I access it via my browser. I don't want something installed that takes control away from me. It's my pc and I want to be the one in control.

Anyways, I do apologize for my outburst yesterday.

~Froggy~
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:09 pm
LinuXFroG wrote:Sorry folks, yesterday was a bad day. Murphy's Law was in complete control and when Harvey blasted me like that, even though I'm sure he didn't mean it to come out the way I took it, it was just the icing on the cake.
~Froggy~

I can assure you that I NEVER had any intention to "blast" you... Truly ...

I was just trying to bring out that Ray is just one person, who has a life outside of Linux, and as such, can only do so many things. I did not know that Lucid did not work on Ray's laptop. On my Gateway laptop, Lucid works like a champ... Lucid also runs on my new box that I just built, while SEVERAL other Linux distros choke on it. I believe that it is a video problem, but every distro that is based on Lucid (Mint, Ubuntu, and PhoenixOS) runs with nary a problem. Hardy doesn't even have the NIC drivers that my Asus motherboard has...

Anyway... I am GLAD that you are back... and as far as I am concerned... no harm, no foul Cool Cool Cool

Harvey
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum