PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

new netbook Empty new netbook

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:08 pm
I won a netbook at a conference an HP mini 1502, it's a really nice little device great for traveling and I need some advice on installing Phoenix. It doesn't have an optical drive I found unetbootin which allows me to install an iso to a SD card which works really well except I only have a 1gb card which allows me to only boot LiveCDs not DVDs is there a way to mount an ISO and install across a local network?
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

new netbook Empty Re: new netbook

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:26 pm
jpisini wrote:I won a netbook at a conference an HP mini 1502, it's a really nice little device great for traveling and I need some advice on installing Phoenix. It doesn't have an optical drive I found unetbootin which allows me to install an iso to a SD card which works really well except I only have a 1gb card which allows me to only boot LiveCDs not DVDs is there a way to mount an ISO and install across a local network?

To answer your question, I am only aware of sd card or usb flash drive: have not seen across a local network.

If you want you can ship it to me and I can put it on for you no charge, you just pay shipping back. Bob3 did this with both of his hp mini laptops, using flat rate priority box was cheap.
Nice thing about doing this is, if a driver is needed since I have the mini here I can make the driver.

Let me know, would love to see you finally having PhoenixOS over there!

Ray Exclamation
JohnP
JohnP

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:56 pm
jpisini wrote:I won a netbook at a conference an HP mini 1502, it's a really nice little device great for traveling and I need some advice on installing Phoenix. It doesn't have an optical drive I found unetbootin which allows me to install an iso to a SD card which works really well except I only have a 1gb card which allows me to only boot LiveCDs not DVDs is there a way to mount an ISO and install across a local network?

Jpisini,
You can install pure Debian by downloading an install image for USB stick *HERE* install it to your USB drive and start there on reboot. All the files are downloaded and installed from the net.
AFAIK, this is the only net install. There may be others, I just haven't heard of any others.
Another option is to create a boot USB drive from the ISO and install it there. Surprised JohnP
JohnP
JohnP

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:32 pm
You know, USB DVD drives are not that expensive.... I just looked on eBay and right off they range from as cheap as $27 to as high as $42. I'm sure that shipping will even them out! But the point is that for me it reduces the hassle of doing anything to install or view videos on smaller computers. I have a couple netbooks and each one has it's own DVD drive. It just makes everything so much easier for those little things... cheers
Have a loose laptop CD/DVD drive? You can get USB cases fairly cheap and roll your own. Cool
I just feel it makes life SOOO much easier! Wink JohnP
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:38 am
I know drives and cards are pretty cheap, I am just a bit short right now I had to travel out of state for my sister in laws wedding and with two children even going cheap is not inexpensive. I will pick up or borrow a drive soon right now I did put Ubuntu saner defaults on here as it had a CD download. I was surprised I tried Maverick's netbook version and the wireless doesn't work although it does in Lucid.
jpisini
jpisini
Admin

Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:50 pm
JohnP wrote:
Jpisini,
You can install pure Debian by downloading an install image for USB stick *HERE* install it to your USB drive and start there on reboot. All the files are downloaded and installed from the net.
AFAIK, this is the only net install. There may be others, I just haven't heard of any others.
Another option is to create a boot USB drive from the ISO and install it there. Surprised JohnP

Another good way to install a straight Debian is the Windows installer at http://www.goodbye-windows.com/ I have used this in the past. Debian right now does not have drivers for the network cards in this book. I haven't tried Sid so that may be an option.

From the research I have done you can buy this netbook with Novell's SLES HP has a downloadable kernel module but that is for the 2.6.27 kernel. Lucid has the drivers built in (so Phoenix should work as well). Fedora doesn't have wireless built in but it can be downloaded from Livna but you will need a wired connection or a way to download and transfer the drivers.

I have to say if I had bought a netbook I probably wouldn't have bought this model but it is really nice I have no complaints with it. It has a LED backlight which makes the screen easy to read even though it is small. It has a 7200 RPM drive so apps launch very quickly and boot time is decent. It has a six cell battery I have run it over 5 hours while installing Linux transferring files and general use and it still said it had 2.5 hours to go (HP says it will get 10 with light use and I believe it). I am not sure if the CPU is dual core or if it has hyperthreading (it shows two) it is the n450 no where near the speed of my full size laptop but decent enough for light gaming and office work. I am sitting here in a hotel room using free internet and enjoying every minute of it.
JohnP
JohnP

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:42 pm
jpisini wrote:

Another good way to install a straight Debian is the Windows installer at http://www.goodbye-windows.com/ I have used this in the past. Debian right now does not have drivers for the network cards in this book. I haven't tried Sid so that may be an option.

From the research I have done you can buy this netbook with Novell's SLES HP has a downloadable kernel module but that is for the 2.6.27 kernel. Lucid has the drivers built in (so Phoenix should work as well). Fedora doesn't have wireless built in but it can be downloaded from Livna but you will need a wired connection or a way to download and transfer the drivers.

Jpisini,
Another option using Windows is Wubi to run Ubuntu in Windows.... Just passing that along also... clown JohnP
Sponsored content