PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Deffi
Deffi

Skype istalled? Empty Skype istalled?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 am
I note that you state that Skype will be included in Pheonix OS. At present I am using the Hardy version though I have the Karmic version installed. I can not find Skype, I therefore assumed (bad habit) that Skype had not been included in Hardy. As CnR is still available in that version I tried to install it and got the message that it was already installed ???? Please help.

David
PGTips91
PGTips91
http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Skype istalled? Empty Re: Skype istalled?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:26 pm
Deffi wrote:I note that you state that Skype will be included in Pheonix OS. At present I am using the Hardy version though I have the Karmic version installed. I can not find Skype, I therefore assumed (bad habit) that Skype had not been included in Hardy. As CnR is still available in that version I tried to install it and got the message that it was already installed ???? Please help.

David

Hi David,

Have you tried uninstalling it with Synaptic first, then installing the version that you want? Use right-click and "Mark for removal" or "Mark for complete removal", the latter removing the configuration files also.

Before you do that you may wish to keep the current version in the form of a .deb file. You can do that with dpkg-repack.

Paul
Deffi
Deffi

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 am
Thanks for your reply. Having a family spread across the world , members are starting to use Skype and I have been asked to join. When I noted that Skype was to be included I looked for it first in the Synaptic lists, installed and not installed. I did not find it listed.

Knowing what my brain is like at present I will recheck. I got my library out of store in the last few days. I will unpack the computing books this morning and try removing installing through command line. I have the deb downloaded from the Skype site.

David
Deffi
Deffi

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:15 pm
Have had no luck at present with installing Skype on hardy Pheonix. I have now installed Skype on Karmic version. It needed the deb package downloaded to desktop, double clicked and install clicked. It is beta.

I will continue to try with the hardy version, but the method I am trying was posted in 2008 so it might now be out of date.

David
PGTips91
PGTips91

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:21 pm
Deffi wrote:Have had no luck at present with installing Skype on hardy Pheonix. I have now installed Skype on Karmic version. It needed the deb package downloaded to desktop, double clicked and install clicked. It is beta.

I will continue to try with the hardy version, but the method I am trying was posted in 2008 so it might now be out of date.

David

What method are you using? I've found one here Install-skype-on-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron + configure-sound. You might need to Google for the exact installation file that you need for following the tutorial.

Have you thought about using an alternative VoIP soft-phone to Skype? Perhaps the best alternative would be Ekiga. I'm reading up on it and experimenting with it now.

Paul
Deffi
Deffi

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:07 pm
Yes thats the one. One problem at present is that my ISP has switched off my broadband by mistake. The part I am having difficulty with is /yourpath/ which I know not. I used the echo $path command but have got no where. The file that is on my desktop it just not found in the first mv command line.

Hope to be back on line soon. In public library at present
Thanks David
PGTips91
PGTips91

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:20 pm
Deffi wrote:Yes thats the one. One problem at present is that my ISP has switched off my broadband by mistake. The part I am having difficulty with is /yourpath/ which I know not. I used the echo $path command but have got no where. The file that is on my desktop it just not found in the first mv command line.

Hope to be back on line soon. In public library at present
Thanks David

Since you have the file on your desktop, then, all you need to put in for
Code:
/yourpath/
would be
Code:
~/Desktop/
[The ~ key is the shift-key, above the 'Tab' key at the top-left-hand corner of the keyboard and is a short-cut to your 'Home' directory.]

Also, the current download file is 'skype_static-2.1.0.81.tar.bz2'. I find it best not to type too much in the CLI, but to type only the initial couple of characters, hit the 'Tab' key and let the system automatically fill in the available data. In this case, type "tar -xvf sky" + 'Tab' and get " tar -xvf skype_static-2.1.0.81". Then type "." +'Tab' and get " tar -xvf skype_static-2.1.0.81.tar.bz2". Then hit 'Enter' and you're away. Doing it that way alerts you to any typos immediately as you get no response.

You need to read the "README" file as it contains a lot of information both as to known problems and also help with installation.

Hope you get your broadband sorted soon.

Paul
PGTips91
PGTips91

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:47 am
Going back to your original post, I was thinking that you could have tried a couple of things before installing another version of Skype.

First, if Skype was installed but you couldn't start it from the 'Start' menu, you could have tried starting it from a Konsole window. That way you get to see any error messages and you can start it without having a menu item.

Code:

Secondly, you can use the following command to find out about an installed application.
Code:
apt-cache show skype

Here's the output of that command in my ArtistX 0.7 installation : --

paul@paul-ArtistX07:~$ apt-cache show skype
Package: skype
Priority: extra
Section: non-free/net
Installed-Size: 25579
Maintainer: Skype Technologies <info@skype.net>
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.1.0.81-1
Depends: libasound2 (>> 1.0.17), libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.3), libqt4-dbus (>= 4.4.3), libqt4-network (>= 4.4.3), libqtcore4 (>= 4.4.3), libqtgui4 (>= 4.4.3), libstdc++6 (>= 4.3), libx11-6, libxext6, libxss1, libxv1
Conffiles:
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/skype.conf d09fd2adb2487dbaaeb97c43f6cdc08d
Description: Skype
Skype is a little piece of software that lets you make free calls to anyone else on Skype,
anywhere in the world. And even though the calls are free, they are really excellent quality.
* Make free Skype-to-Skype calls to anyone else, anywhere in the world.
* Call phones and mobiles at pretty cheap rates per minute.
* Group chat with up to 100 people or conference call with up to nine others.
* Free to download.

paul@paul-ArtistX07:~$

Paul
Deffi
Deffi

Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:02 pm
This is what was confusing me. I used the apt-cache search, show etc and recieved no answer but when I tried CnR in the Hardy version I was told that it was already installed yet when I tried to remove the reply was not found. I can only conclude that some dependenies are installed (I noted that some sky...... packets are installed.) As I have said elsewhere downloading the appropriate deb package from Skype and clicking on it installs Skype without any confusing messages. This does not work with hardy version. I believe this is because linux skype is contemporary or post hardy. The Skype I used with karmic version is a Beta, As far as I can gather the win version is more developed.

David

I have managed to install skype but I had to move myself (cd) to each directory before a command and checking that the command was carried out - moving file changing names etc. The installation starts from the command line only and from initial experience is not stable compared with the version I have on Phoenix (karmic).

I await the new iso for the karmic version, hoping that the nvidia problem I have has disappeared and then I can move on from the hardy version, which I like but has the habit of swinging between desktops (compiz).
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum