PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Deffi
Deffi

Hardware Abstraction Layer. Empty Hardware Abstraction Layer.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:58 am
Have switched off Power Saving in the display area of settings but screen black after being idle for 20 minutes even if I am installing. Did a search and found it could be HAL so I started to find out how I could alter or disable this screen control and found the posts stating that HAL was causing segfaults and also causing xorg.conf not functioning. I am going to investigate as the problem with xorg.conf is a bit of a pain and I am getting a lot of segfaults recently in Debian mainly.

The posts are at www.larsen-b.com/Article/341.html

David
jpisini
jpisini
Admin
http://cafecomputer.com

Hardware Abstraction Layer. Empty Re: Hardware Abstraction Layer.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:19 am
Hal should not be locking up your box especially not in Debian. Look under /proc/acpi/thermal_zone there should be (if your machine is registering properly) several files that will show your temperature use cat on them. You may be overheating.
Deffi
Deffi

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:48 pm
Hi.

Sorry I was not clear. It is the display that is going into sleep mode. It is only happening with my Debian install, not with Mepis or the Phoenixes. The latter have facilities where one can disable all powersaving. In Debian I have only found the power saving section in Display settings. I will do what you suggest.

I have had the problem of overheating. I regularly clean my fans and check they are working but I had not noticed that the vaned heat sink on the main chip was clogged with fluff and the box was shutting down. My motherboard has a temperature control prog in addition. When this happened I had a deep look and found the dirt and a loose connector to the fans. Because I carry high static I had it professionally cleaned and serviced.

David
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum