Flamehawk Release

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flamehawk Release

Post  Admin on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:29 am

Unfortunately, I have some bad news. We had a break in thru my baby's bedroom window. They broke the glass and stole quite a few things: including my newly purchased mini-laptop that I bought for PhoenixOS development. The window is going to cost a lot to fix and will have to wait, as we are in the process of fixing the new store and I am tapped out. The worse part about that mini-laptop being stolen is: the final code was on that laptop! The good news is I have a backup, but its not as recent. Its the final with three bugs, that have easy fixes.

Bug #1: Bob user: You can either install kuser or simply go to system-settings and pick user management, change the user name and password for what you want. If you want it to keep on auto-loggin you in, click the advanced tab and pick login manager (all these require you to click the administrator tab: password is intel), click convenience then change user from bob to whatever name you created.

Bug #2: Installer: on the desktop in Live mode, right click your mouse and pick run command and type ubiquity. The installer will start fine.

Bug #3: Changing display in system settings messed up the Desktop; so to change your resolution; simply pick the icon on the bottom right hand corner next to speaker icon that looks like a monitor with double arrows and pick whatever resolution you want.

As you can see restricted manager is back, and has the nvidia driver working flawlessly!

The reason I am releasing this like this; is I did not want to cause another delay. This is the same as the final with the exception of those 3 bugs which have easy fixes and some stuff that needs cleaning up like history and bash. I would appreciate any feedback and/or bug reports.

I hope that this release will not cause any disappointment among the community; as I usually would not release it like this; but again just didn't want to have another delay. Oh and also this is Karmic Smile

Enjoy!

Ray Very Happy

P.S. http://raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso


Last edited by Admin on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  hqlinux on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks Ray...

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I can relate to the statement about being "tapped out"...

Harvey

Now downloading at 1.2 to 1.4MB/sec.........

VERY NICE cheers cheers cheers
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  S3Indiana on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 am

Downloading (not as efficiently as hqlinux, but acceptable at around 1.0 MB/sec Smile...
avatar
S3Indiana
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 66
Points : 67
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 56
Location : Sorrento Hills, San Diego, Ca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  Admin on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:20 am

hqlinux wrote:Thanks Ray...

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I can relate to the statement about being "tapped out"...

Harvey

Now downloading at 1.2 to 1.4MB/sec.........

VERY NICE cheers cheers cheers

Thanks, I figure all these problems this year, man I sure hope the rest of this year is better!
Yeah its hard being tapped out; you have to juggle money here and there; but I look at it like Ken saids, its these tests in life that makes you stronger. God knows I must be strong as the Hulk by now! heheheh

Enjoy!

Ray Very Happy
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  S3Indiana on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:25 am

Admin wrote:
hqlinux wrote:Sorry to hear about your problems, but I can relate to the statement about being "tapped out"...

Thanks, I figure all these problems this year, man I sure hope the rest of this year is better!
Yeah its hard being tapped out; you have to juggle money here and there; but I look at it like Ken saids, its these tests in life that makes you stronger. God knows I must be strong as the Hulk by now! heheheh
Keeping the priorities in your heart, helps it all make sense: God > Family > anything else...
avatar
S3Indiana
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 66
Points : 67
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 56
Location : Sorrento Hills, San Diego, Ca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  S3Indiana on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:35 am

S3Indiana wrote:Downloading (not as efficiently as hqlinux, but acceptable at around 1.0 MB/sec Smile...
Download complete; now to find a DVD to burn Smile...
avatar
S3Indiana
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 66
Points : 67
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 56
Location : Sorrento Hills, San Diego, Ca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  hqlinux on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:42 am

S3Indiana wrote:Keeping the priorities in your heart, helps it all make sense: God > Family > anything else...

Truer words were never spoken... Cool Cool Cool

I agree 100%... Romans 8:28 is what I live by...

Harvey
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You have our loyal support Ray.

Post  newyorkpaulie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:16 am

Tough to hear you've another setback Ray. Please, all you have to say it yes and you know we are here to help you out. And that includes $. Don't even think about it!!!
P.S. Thanks for releasing the iso. I am downloading as I type.
avatar
newyorkpaulie

Posts : 10
Points : 10
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-30
Location : New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  PaulS on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks Ray, sorry to hear about your problems. This is good timing as I just finished building my computer and have only Windows 7 installed at this morning. I was wondering what Linux OS to install 1st. So the timing of the release is good.

PaulS

Posts : 3
Points : 3
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-31
Age : 58
Location : Caldwell, Idaho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  S3Indiana on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:33 am

S3Indiana wrote:
S3Indiana wrote:Downloading (not as efficiently as hqlinux, but acceptable at around 1.0 MB/sec Smile...
Download complete; now to find a DVD to burn Smile...
Might have a bad download (won't start the boot loader). What's the MD5 for the .iso?
My download: e495efaf96081bc96374e2c5d4bc53d9
avatar
S3Indiana
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 66
Points : 67
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 56
Location : Sorrento Hills, San Diego, Ca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  hqlinux on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:52 am

S3Indiana wrote:
S3Indiana wrote:
S3Indiana wrote:Downloading (not as efficiently as hqlinux, but acceptable at around 1.0 MB/sec Smile...
Download complete; now to find a DVD to burn Smile...
Might have a bad download (won't start the boot loader). What's the MD5 for the .iso?
My download: e495efaf96081bc96374e2c5d4bc53d9

I have experienced the same...

It states Linux kernel can not be found.

Harvey

I just checked my checksum:

e495efaf96081bc96374e2c5d4bc53d9 which as you can see, is the same as Ken's.


Last edited by hqlinux on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Checksum Info)
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  hqlinux on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:01 pm

I would recommend everyone hold off on downloading this until this gets straightened out. It will save you time, bandwidth, a DVD, and even perhaps your sanity... LOL Wink Laughing Shocked

Harvey
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  newyorkpaulie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:12 pm

hqlinux wrote:I would recommend everyone hold off on downloading this until this gets straightened out. It will save you time, bandwidth, a DVD, and even perhaps your sanity... LOL Wink Laughing Shocked

Harvey
Thanks Harvey. Just stopped my download and with my slow system (4+ hours!) that's a wise choice.
avatar
newyorkpaulie

Posts : 10
Points : 10
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-30
Location : New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  hqlinux on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:18 pm

newyorkpaulie wrote:
hqlinux wrote:I would recommend everyone hold off on downloading this until this gets straightened out. It will save you time, bandwidth, a DVD, and even perhaps your sanity... LOL Wink Laughing Shocked

Harvey
Thanks Harvey. Just stopped my download and with my slow system (4+ hours!) that's a wise choice.

You're welcome.

It's better to find out what's wrong before spending hours on a download. Luckily for me, I have broadband so it didn't take too long to download, but the DVD is a coaster... LOL Laughing Wink Cool

Harvey
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

md5

Post  Admin on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:46 pm

922048f3d192eea48988634470c02c05 phoenixos030410.iso

http://www.raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso.md5

Odd I burned it fine, hmm Ill try downloading it and see what happens.
Maybe have to upload it again, I used filezilla with resume cuz, I had to stop it when I got
out of work, then resumed at home. hmm.

Ray
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  jpisini on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Sorry to hear about the break in I hope the insurance covers the lost items.
avatar
jpisini
Admin

Posts : 392
Points : 436
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-02-04
Age : 48
Location : MA

View user profile http://cafecomputer.com

Back to top Go down

re Flamehawk Release.

Post  bluey on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Sorry to hear about your probs man. I noticed your post of release last night and set about downloading before bed. I have a slow connection and not much bandwidth. Then in my excitement this morning I tried to burn the iso with k3b only to be confronted with iso file size errors. A quick read of the forum and confirms something not right. Man am I disappointed after waiting so long. Hope you get it fixed soon. I will have to wait for a few weeks now as I don't have enough bandwidth left this month to try again.
avatar
bluey

Posts : 4
Points : 4
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-03-01
Location : Somewhere in the 5th Dimension

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Iso download

Post  Ray on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Unfortunately I had already downloaded when I read the posts re the iso problem. Needless to say my download was no better than Harvey's or S3. Back to the drawing board.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  bobd13045 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:03 am

Admin wrote:Unfortunately, I have some bad news. We had a break in thru my baby's bedroom window. They broke the glass and stole quite a few things: including my newly purchased mini-laptop that I bought for PhoenixOS development. The window is going to cost a lot to fix and will have to wait, as we are in the process of fixing the new store and I am tapped out. The worse part about that mini-laptop being stolen is: the final code was on that laptop! The good news is I have a backup, but its not as recent. Its the final with three bugs, that have easy fixes.

Bug #1: Bob user: You can either install kuser or simply go to system-settings and pick user management, change the user name and password for what you want. If you want it to keep on auto-loggin you in, click the advanced tab and pick login manager (all these require you to click the administrator tab: password is intel), click convenience then change user from bob to whatever name you created.

Bug #2: Installer: on the desktop in Live mode, right click your mouse and pick run command and type ubiquity. The installer will start fine.

Bug #3: Changing display in system settings messed up the Desktop; so to change your resolution; simply pick the icon on the bottom right hand corner next to speaker icon that looks like a monitor with double arrows and pick whatever resolution you want.

As you can see restricted manager is back, and has the nvidia driver working flawlessly!

The reason I am releasing this like this; is I did not want to cause another delay. This is the same as the final with the exception of those 3 bugs which have easy fixes and some stuff that needs cleaning up like history and bash. I would appreciate any feedback and/or bug reports.

I hope that this release will not cause any disappointment among the community; as I usually would not release it like this; but again just didn't want to have another delay. Oh and also this is Karmic Smile

Enjoy!

Ray Very Happy

P.S. http://raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso

I'll wait for the final release with all 3 fixes hopefully. Very Happy

Bob
avatar
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 165
Points : 221
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2010-01-28
Location : Cortland, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  PGTips91 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:45 am

bobd13045 wrote:
Admin wrote:...snip...

Ray Very Happy

P.S. http://raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso

I'll wait for the final release with all 3 fixes hopefully. Very Happy

Bob

Might I be so bold as to suggest that zsync be called to the rescue?

Open a konsole window in the same directory as the existing ISO, assuming that you want to keep the name of the ISO the same after re-uploading, then run : --

Code:
zsyncmake phoenixos030410.iso -u phoenixos030410.iso


You can do this on your local version of the ISO before uploading it. Then if there are any errors in the uploaded file zsync will report them and not finish the file. [You can use zsync to check the file, once it is uploaded without having to fully download it again, as below].

Now post the phoenixos030410.iso.zsync file at : --

http://raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso.zsync [or in the same directory at any mirrors].



Now all those who have downloaded the file and have had problems can re-download only the changed data with these commands : --

In the same directory as the faulty ISO, open a konsole window and do the following : --

Code:
mv phoenixos030410.iso phoenixos030410.iso.faulty
so you can re-use this ISO without confusion.

Code:
wget -c http://raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso.zsync
Saves re-downloading this file if you wish to re-start the process.

Code:
zsync phoenixos030410.iso.zsync -i phoenixos030410.iso.faulty -u  http://raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso
which implies that the phoenixos030410.iso.zsync file has already been downloaded and is in the same directory as the phoenixos030410.iso.faulty file. You could just point zsync to the file's URL, as 'http://raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso.zsync', but, as I suggested, this would mean downloading it each time you run the command and I prefer to download it first for that reason.

The '-i phoenixos030410.iso.faulty' option tells zsync to look for any valid data in the existing ISO and to download only the small amount of data that is needed to correct the failed download. It might be as little as 1% or less but should not be much at all.

Of course, you can use the '-i' switch to point to any existing ISO file that you have, from any source, and it will evaluate that for common code, too. Any distro based on Ubuntu Karmic would be suitable as input.

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  Ray on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 am

I posted this on the New Upload thread.

Assuming that the upload was completed, I downloaded the latest iso (1452122KB as against the original 1452141KB), burnt to disk and attempted to boot. The following were the error messages:

Unknown keyword in configuration file

Enter or Live at the boot prompt generated the message "Could not find kernel image"

So I'd suggest holding off on downloading at this point in time.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  Deffi on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 am

I have downloaded a number of times this morning. All seems well until I try to burn and I get that an invalid file size. I have investigated and find that the file size is slightly less than the 1.4 GB. Different each time. I am trying one last time.

David
avatar
Deffi

Posts : 106
Points : 126
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 76
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  PGTips91 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:07 pm

Well I now have downloaded Flamehawk release and verified its md5sum, so I know its a good download. 922048f3d192eea48988634470c02c05 phoenixos030410.iso

I have made a .zsync file and have uploaded this to my Wiki.

http://pgtips91.pbworks.com/Files-for-zsync-downloads-posted-here#PhoenixOSFlameHawk

General instructions are : --

Open a konsole window and navigate to the directory where you wish to download the ISO.
If you have a failed copy of the ISO, rename it to phoenixos030410.iso.failed or the like.
Download the .zsync file to the directory, I suggest using
Code:
wget -c http://pgtips91.pbworks.com/f/phoenixos030410.iso.zsync
Run zsync to update the ISO using the failed file as input with
Code:
zsync phoenixos030410.iso.zsync -i phoenixos030410.iso.failed  -u http://www.raccomputers.com/phoenixos030410.iso

You should be good to go in next to no time.

Let me know how you get on or if you need any further help with the process.

Paul
__

Running FlameHawk as LiveCD on test-bed computer.


Last edited by PGTips91 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Editing from LiveCD)
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  PGTips91 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 pm

As a follow on, I now have verified my download of the earlier release, Mini-Laptop Hawk, and here is the .zsync information for that if anyone is interested.

PhoenixOS Mini-Laptop Hawk .zsync file

Using the Desktop FlameHawk as the input file to download the earlier Mini-Laptop version will save 76.3 % of the download.

Read phoenixos030410.iso. Target 76.3% complete.

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  PGTips91 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:06 pm

I now have added a short how-to on downloading these files using zsync, here : --

How to get PhoenixOS with zsync

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: Flamehawk Release

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum