PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need testers

+11
RevJack
Bob3
newyorkpaulie
Deffi
bobd13045
dalevandy
PaulS
Ray
hqlinux
StanTheMan
Admin
15 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Need testers Empty Need testers

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:32 pm
I need 5 testers for PhoenixOS Flamehawk Final; being a final I like to have it to the same quality standards as a Linspire Final Very Happy

Thanks!

Ray
StanTheMan

Need testers Empty Re: Need testers

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:47 pm
I can tes it on an HP Pavilion desktop tower AMD64 .
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:08 pm
Post it and I'll give it a go... Smile

If it runs as a LiveCD or LiveDVD I will test on several computers, if not, I'll install it on my rack system.

Harvey
Ray
Ray

Need testers Empty testers

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:44 pm
Ray

You can count me in.

Ray
PaulS

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:45 pm
I also can test
dalevandy

Need testers Empty Re:Need Testers

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 pm
If you want someone who is clueless to test it, I can help. I am clueless on Phoenix and Linux in general. I have Linux installed on a couple of computers and have Freespire on one computer. I will probably install Phoenix on the Freespire computer.

I say I am clueless because I do not program; but I can be one who tests it as a person who is just an "outsider", a normal user. I know that sounds like others are not "normal",Smile and that is not what I mean. I am trying to say (and doing a bad job of it obviously) that as someone who is not a power user, I can test it from the point of view of someone who needs to have his "hand held" in the installation, configuration and use of Phoenix. If I can get it, most anyone can.

But I will probably ask a lot of stupid, basic questions.

So you decide if that is what you want. Smile Smile
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:52 am
dalevandy wrote:
But I will probably ask a lot of stupid, basic questions.

I have found that there really isn't a "stupid" question, ... really...

now answers... that's a whole new story Laughing Wink

Harvey
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:14 pm
Admin wrote:I need 5 testers for PhoenixOS Flamehawk Final; being a final I like to have it to the same quality standards as a Linspire Final Very Happy

Thanks!

Ray

Do you have a download site, or are you mailing it? I have a HP Pavilion AMD Dual Core 3800+.

Bob
Admin
Admin
Admin

Need testers Empty testing

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:28 pm
bobd13045 wrote:
Admin wrote:I need 5 testers for PhoenixOS Flamehawk Final; being a final I like to have it to the same quality standards as a Linspire Final Very Happy

Thanks!

Ray

Do you have a download site, or are you mailing it? I have a HP Pavilion AMD Dual Core 3800+.

Bob

I plan on mailing it; so I can eliminate guessing whether iso bad burn or the persons setup, etc.

Now I have my testers; please email your Real Names with Forum names so I know who you are and mailing address to thorpe1968@gmail.com.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Ray

Very Happy
Ray
Ray

Need testers Empty Testers

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:31 pm
From my own perspective, I live in New Zealand, mailing isos to testers doesn't seem to make any sense to me at all, I'd think this even if I lived in the US by the way. In all the years of downloading isos, from May 2002 when I downloaded my first Lindows system,

I can't recall the number of times that I have had a bad download, maybe 2 or 3, I have probably checked the mdsum less than a dozen times in all those years and basically never had a problem that wasn't hardware related. In this time I have downloaded every Lindows/Linspire version from 0.91 to the final 6 versions - over 100 Lindows/Linspire cd's sitting in my cupboard, plus a hundred or so other distro's accumulated until I started using rewriteables.

It really shouldn't be made this difficult.

Ray

Need testers Empty Mailing a .img file?

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:18 am
Who got a mailbox that can receive, or for that matter contain a file of that size ? As far as I know the normal limit for a mail incl. attached files is apx. 5-10 MB Rolling Eyes
Ray
Ray

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:40 am
guest wrote:Who got a mailbox that can receive, or for that matter contain a file of that size ? As far as I know the normal limit for a mail incl. attached files is apx. 5-10 MB Rolling Eyes
I think he means US Postal

Ray

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:54 am
I've been following this forum (carried over from the other one) since I heard about Phoenix OS around October last year. The concept and promised distro sounds good and basically what I am looking for. That is an up to date distro with kde3.5.10.

However all I see is promises that the thing is ready then excuse after excuse. Last we heard was that you was packing the iso for us. That is after it was allegedly ready several times in the past. Now you want selective testers. WTF,

If you want testers then release the iso. That is if it even exists. I've lived with and worked with people that come up with excuses of why something hasn't been done when promised it was, but man Ray you take the cake. My first distro was Xandros but 2 weeks after installing that I discovered Linspire and that sold me on linux. So it is with more than a passing interest that I am here and so far putting up with the diatrobe that is been put out in place of the so called distro.

Ray, from somebody on the outside looking in, you come across as a con man and a joke. Full of promises and assertions and delivering nothing. Wake up to your self and release the iso if it exists. If there are any bugs in it we won't hold it against you. The more who use it the more hardware and install situations it will be exposed to. 5 testers, kid's stuff.

If I sound a bit harsh then I apologize but this is so frustrating. There is no such thing as a perfect bug free distro but there is such a thing as honesty.
Deffi
Deffi

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:52 am
Yes it has been a long wait from when the Spires were sold and shut away, but the time has not been wasted. Ray (Thorpe) has worked hard despite life's obstacles. I had to clean my machine and as FlameHawk was imminent I only installed FlameHawk(052109) which has been my main OS since it came out. I will partition when the final finally arrives.

I have run the mini version of Phoenix live but have not installed and tested because it is not designed for desktop.

I would have liked to be a tester but I am in the UK. My concern is that if testing takes too long there will be too many updates of the base again and the iso will have to prepared once more.
newyorkpaulie
newyorkpaulie

Need testers Empty FlameHawk Testers Needed

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:02 am
Having tried over a dozen distros I went with FlameHawk which has been my only OS for months now so I would like to be able to test your final version on my ThinkPad.
bobd13045
bobd13045
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:07 am
Ray,

I just emailed you my snail mail address for the testing DVD.

Bob
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:55 am
guest wrote:I've been following this forum (carried over from the other one) since I heard about Phoenix OS around October last year. The concept and promised distro sounds good and basically what I am looking for. That is an up to date distro with kde3.5.10.

However all I see is promises that the thing is ready then excuse after excuse. Last we heard was that you was packing the iso for us. That is after it was allegedly ready several times in the past. Now you want selective testers. WTF,

If you want testers then release the iso. That is if it even exists. I've lived with and worked with people that come up with excuses of why something hasn't been done when promised it was, but man Ray you take the cake. My first distro was Xandros but 2 weeks after installing that I discovered Linspire and that sold me on linux. So it is with more than a passing interest that I am here and so far putting up with the diatrobe that is been put out in place of the so called distro.

Ray, from somebody on the outside looking in, you come across as a con man and a joke. Full of promises and assertions and delivering nothing. Wake up to your self and release the iso if it exists. If there are any bugs in it we won't hold it against you. The more who use it the more hardware and install situations it will be exposed to. 5 testers, kid's stuff.

If I sound a bit harsh then I apologize but this is so frustrating. There is no such thing as a perfect bug free distro but there is such a thing as honesty.

While I believe that your post is overly harsh, you do raise some very valid points about:

1. "If you want testers then release the iso."
2. " The more who use it the more hardware and install situations it will be exposed to."
3. "5 testers, kid's stuff."

Why not register here "guest" and become a part of this community???

And Ray, why not release to a wider audience??? No one is expecting perfection right out of the box... Look at Microsoft Wink Shocked ... They have been at it for years and years and they still don't have it right Very Happy Very Happy

Harvey
Oponium1

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:07 pm
sure they do.

a few months and they already have 10% of the market share with windows 7 alone. if that's not getting it right i dunno what is.

but anyway, guest is right. unfortunately, we have a lot of.. freespire members here and so they're ok with anything freespireish or slow to release or whatever. if you went to a real forum and posted what's now phoenix os, your topic probably wouldn't get to 2 pages because they know what phoenix os is, just another distro.

i once went to an irc channel, talking about phoenix os, and one guys response was "the only people who care about the freespire look'n'feel are freespire users".

i'd think that sums up this distro pretty well.
Bob3
Bob3

Need testers Empty checksums

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 pm
I can't recall the number of times that I have had a bad download, maybe 2 or 3, I have probably checked the mdsum less than a dozen times in all those years...
I recall burning a batch of coasters during one Lindows release, finally sent in for a CD via snail mail.
It had a bad checksum too so after that, I never bothered with checksums, just loaded the critters & if they worked, great.

Ray has a pretty new server & obviously doesn't have 100% confidence in it yet; eliminating one potential mischief point for a small number of test runs is only prudent.

From what I've sampled of Ray's work, his "alpha" releases are what everybody else would call either "late beta" or a production release.

He's probably overly cautious which I guess isn't a bad thing when dealing with *some* folks that tend to gripe & whine a lot.
It's cheap insurance against getting smeared.
Ray
Ray

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:30 pm
Bob3 wrote:
I can't recall the number of times that I have had a bad download, maybe 2 or 3, I have probably checked the mdsum less than a dozen times in all those years...
I recall burning a batch of coasters during one Lindows release, finally sent in for a CD via snail mail.
It had a bad checksum too so after that, I never bothered with checksums, just loaded the critters & if they worked, great.

Ray has a pretty new server & obviously doesn't have 100% confidence in it yet; eliminating one potential mischief point for a small number of test runs is only prudent.

From what I've sampled of Ray's work, his "alpha" releases are what everybody else would call either "late beta" or a production release.

He's probably overly cautious which I guess isn't a bad thing when dealing with *some* folks that tend to gripe & whine a lot.
It's cheap insurance against getting smeared.
I don't know whether there are enough of us to cause too many problems for anyone. I must confess that I am NOT from the 'Good things come to those who wait' brigade, I saw that too many times after the release of Linspire 4.5, it's a bit of a con to keep the delays in the acceptable range.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)
gufi

Need testers Empty been following to

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:31 pm
Yeah how much money you ppl done sunk into this lets see a server to download from probably this domain to and he aint spent a dime of his own money. Ray keeeps talking about doing things the old linspire way well you think now u might have an idea why linspire aint around no more!!!!! It sucked and this distro does too.
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:10 pm
Oponium1 wrote:sure they do.

a few months and they already have 10% of the market share with windows 7 alone. if that's not getting it right i dunno what is.

Yeah, I guess you don't know what is...

I am referring to having a bug free OS, which as far back as I can remember NEVER has happened with Microsoft, or anyone else for that matter.

Just having market share doesn't mean that it is a great OS, all it means is that people don't want to take the time or effort to learn something new, or a 1,000 other myriad reasons that you can come up with.

Harvey
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:39 am
hqlinux wrote:
guest wrote:I've been following this forum (carried over from the other one) since I heard about Phoenix OS around October last year. The concept and promised distro sounds good and basically what I am looking for. That is an up to date distro with kde3.5.10.

While I believe that your post is overly harsh, you do raise some very valid points about:

1. "If you want testers then release the iso."
2. " The more who use it the more hardware and install situations it will be exposed to."
3. "5 testers, kid's stuff."

Why not register here "guest" and become a part of this community???

And Ray, why not release to a wider audience??? No one is expecting perfection right out of the box... Look at Microsoft Wink Shocked ... They have been at it for years and years and they still don't have it right Very Happy Very Happy

Harvey

Hi,

You and others have made some valid points, and in spirit of Linspire tradition (maybe even better); I will release the iso as a download instead of mailing it.

Ray Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:43 am

I have decided to release this as a download instead of mail, as a majority of the community members feel that. I released the Mini Version of PhoenixOS early so people would have something to play with, in spite of the fact it has some bugs. If I was a con man I would not be here doing this.
Things to remember is while I want to maintain the Linspire Look and feel, I am a one man person doing this distro and do not have employees like Linspire did; and even so I'm putting out releases faster than Linspire. I also still have a computer store to run, and a family to take care of. Its been a rough year; and in spite of it all PhoenixOS still exists and it will only get better from here.

Ray
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:48 am
gufi wrote:Yeah how much money you ppl done sunk into this lets see a server to download from probably this domain to and he aint spent a dime of his own money. Ray keeeps talking about doing things the old linspire way well you think now u might have an idea why linspire aint around no more!!!!! It sucked and this distro does too.

What money? This is a free distro and I have charged NOTHING. I pay for everything out of my pocket and have asked for nothing in return, because its a free distro designed for the Linspire/Freespire community as well as other linux community members that might have an interest in a Linspire like OS with "out of box" experience.

Ray
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum