PhoenixOS/ Linspire & Freespire Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://phoenixos.forumotion.com

New PhoenixOS BlackHawk Lucid RC1 - Page 2 Empty Re: New PhoenixOS BlackHawk Lucid RC1

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:33 pm
jpisini wrote:
Admin wrote:
jpisini wrote:I am sorry my friend I can't believe we have the same laptop it locks up within 15 seconds of logging in so it is a no go for me. It is something to do with your patches as I am using the the i386 version of Trinity (patched by me)and it works fine no lockups at all. Been running it over a week while waiting on you.

Ill give you a link to a newer iso im currently on and see if you have any luck with that one.

Ray Very Happy

OK let me know I am always willing to help. I just don't understand it, Phoenix obviously works for you on that system yet just locks up for me. I would suspect my system but since I had the fan replaced it has been rock solid. I don't usually leave it on during the week but on the weekend I turn it on Friday night after work and don't shut it off till bed time Sunday night so it runs over 50 hours with no problems.

Im convinced something is different either a wifi card, bios, something has to be different for it not to work for you; one day we set aside time and try to figure out what it is. In the meantime when I'm done with this iso, I will have you test it, thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Ray What a Face
StanTheMan

New PhoenixOS BlackHawk Lucid RC1 - Page 2 Empty Re: New PhoenixOS BlackHawk Lucid RC1

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:30 pm
Old tech . .
I was using Kubuntu 10.04 released a few months ago.

Admin . .
I tried that Log out button again , and it did the same thing - wiped ut my GUI and could only log in in CLI . I have reinstalled the OS again (that is no big deal takes about 45 minutes)
Incidentally in both cases I had creatged a CLI Root password. It is my preference to use a Root CLI instead of Sudo .

PhoenixOS is running okay this third install as long as I re-boot or shut down.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:21 pm
StanTheMan wrote:Old tech . .

Admin . .
I tried that Log out button again , and it did the same thing - wiped ut my GUI and could only log in in CLI . I have reinstalled the OS again (that is no big deal takes about 45 minutes)
Incidentally in both cases I had creatged a CLI Root password. It is my preference to use a Root CLI instead of Sudo .

Can you give me the specs on your machine? Odd you can restart and shut down but logoff wipes out your gui. hmm
Ill see if I can duplicate your symptoms once i get ur hardware specs.

Ray
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:23 pm
StanTheMan wrote:Old tech . .

Admin . .

Is this whats going on with your system?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1451439

Ray
Bob3
Bob3

New PhoenixOS BlackHawk Lucid RC1 - Page 2 Empty what flavor?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:41 am
There's an IBM ThinkPad R60 on its way here, which PhoenixOS do ya think would work out the best, karmic or lucid?

(I'll try 'em both if I can get my mitts on a spare HD.)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:48 am
Bob3 wrote:There's an IBM ThinkPad R60 on its way here, which PhoenixOS do ya think would work out the best, karmic or lucid?

They should both work on it, give them both a shot if you can find a spare hd Very Happy

Ray What a Face
Bob3
Bob3

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 am
Admin wrote:
Bob3 wrote:There's an IBM ThinkPad R60 on its way here, which PhoenixOS do ya think would work out the best, karmic or lucid?

They should both work on it, give them both a shot if you can find a spare hd Very Happy

Ray What a Face
Oh Boy!!!
Just what I like to hear; an excuse for picking up a couple more little play toys!
What a Face bounce cheers
StanTheMan

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:53 am
My third install of Black Hawk is holding up well now.
I create an extra User account , and I can log into it or back kto 'oem' with no problem.
Also, now, the Ubuntu Software Center (which is spelled Ubuntu Software Centre in the new Maverick (British spelling)), is working correctly with a progress icon wheel.
My first two installs of BH must have had some digital errors.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:21 pm
StanTheMan wrote:My third install of Black Hawk is holding up well now.
I create an extra User account , and I can log into it or back kto 'oem' with no problem.
Also, now, the Ubuntu Software Center (which is spelled Ubuntu Software Centre in the new Maverick (British spelling)), is working correctly with a progress icon wheel.
My first two installs of BH must have had some digital errors.

Glad to hear that, cuz I tried on 10 different machines and couldn't duplicate your problem. Glad it worked out. So what do you think of it? Behaves like a finished product now? With the exception of user bob bug and missing installer.

Ray
Bob3
Bob3

New PhoenixOS BlackHawk Lucid RC1 - Page 2 Empty play by play with a BlackHawk install...

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:50 pm
Trying to boot into a Live PhoenixOS session of 10.4, gets the "... running in low graphics mode..." error message, selecting "run in low graphics mode for this session" resulted in hangs, then opting for selecting "restart x-server" instead brings it immediately to the [oem] login screen.

Running ubiquity from konsole brings the usual snappy setup utility up & this time for the heck of it I selected a dual install of PhoenixOS BlackHawk along side of 8.04.4 LTS, I suspect also a PhoenixOS Hardy install.

I did notice that there was no recognition of video card or dual monitors while running Live.

Upon booting after installation it went a little too fast for me to notice (and I was distracted) if it actually did have a dual-boot system but after logging in it booted up so fast my head is still spinning.
After the obligatory sudo apt-get update I used the desktop's "update manager" to bring things up to snuff.

upon rebooting after updates & installing a bunch of goodies I verified that Hardy was indeed an option along with Lucid.
Now I'm going to see if I can break, or at least gag it!

Twisted Evil What a Face bounce affraid
... much later...
Welll~~~ The nvidia driver issue is still an issue, though it's easier to roll back to the original configuration after messing things up by trying to use the nvidia drivers.
That's an area that the regular kubuntu lucid release has working moderately well, as that correctly identifies the video card series & monitors, at least on my rig anyway.

It *might* be getting time to start using a slightly different desktop (or identifier) among the different releases, it would make things a little less confusing for us old farts that can't remember what order socks/shoes go on the way it is... What a Face
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:59 pm
Bob3 wrote:Trying to boot into a Live PhoenixOS session of 10.4, gets the "... running in low graphics mode..." error message, selecting "run in low graphics mode for this session" resulted in hangs, then opting for selecting "restart x-server" instead brings it immediately to the [oem] login screen.

Running ubiquity from konsole brings the usual snappy setup utility up & this time for the heck of it I selected a dual install of PhoenixOS BlackHawk along side of 8.04.4 LTS, I suspect also a PhoenixOS Hardy install.

I did notice that there was no recognition of video card or dual monitors while running Live.

Upon booting after installation it went a little too fast for me to notice (and I was distracted) if it actually did have a dual-boot system but after logging in it booted up so fast my head is still spinning.
After the obligatory sudo apt-get update I used the desktop's "update manager" to bring things up to snuff.

upon rebooting after updates & installing a bunch of goodies I verified that Hardy was indeed an option along with Lucid.
Now I'm going to see if I can break, or at least gag it!

Twisted Evil What a Face bounce affraid
... much later...
Welll~~~ The nvidia driver issue is still an issue, though it's easier to roll back to the original configuration after messing things up by trying to use the nvidia drivers.
That's an area that the regular kubuntu lucid release has working moderately well, as that correctly identifies the video card series & monitors, at least on my rig anyway.

It *might* be getting time to start using a slightly different desktop (or identifier) among the different releases, it would make things a little less confusing for us old farts that can't remember what order socks/shoes go on the way it is... What a Face

I got the same results as Bob did about running in low graphics mode error message running Live.

I will check this release out more in depth as time permits...

Harvey
old tech
old tech

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:11 pm
I also get ..running in low graphics mode..
I have a nvidia 6200
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:13 pm
Also, I noticed that there is still no printer drivers for my Canon Pixma MX870. To be fair, Ubuntu doesn't have the drivers available either. I have to use my wife's older Pixma. However, running Live, there is no way to print to my Windows network. That option isn't even available when trying to "install" a printer... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Harvey
Bob3
Bob3

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:33 pm
hqlinux wrote:Also, I noticed that there is still no printer drivers for my Canon Pixma MX870. To be fair, Ubuntu doesn't have the drivers available either. I have to use my wife's older Pixma. However, running Live, there is no way to print to my Windows network. That option isn't even available when trying to "install" a printer... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Harvey
I was just talking with a guy that tracked down drivers for his pixma ip2702. I don't suppose those would be of any help? Rolling Eyes
Bob3
Bob3

New PhoenixOS BlackHawk Lucid RC1 - Page 2 Empty Lucid mischief

Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:00 pm
Lucid has a bad habit of not letting go (un-mounting) of USB sticks easily:

New PhoenixOS BlackHawk Lucid RC1 - Page 2 Error_unmountt1

After some tweaking that I haven't been able to duplicate (yet) an odd desktop effect appeared & the USB stick unmounted:
New PhoenixOS BlackHawk Lucid RC1 - Page 2 Error_unmountt4

I really wish that color would be removed from desktop choices, it's gotta be one of the scariest I've seen!!!
Shocked affraid Shocked
hqlinux
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:37 pm
Bob3 wrote:I was just talking with a guy that tracked down drivers for his pixma ip2702. I don't suppose those would be of any help? Rolling Eyes

The MX870 has built in wireless, which is pretty cool... It works fabulously in Windows, not so much in Linux land...nor is there any drivers available, at least not that I can find. I even used Ubuntu's "find a driver" to no avail...

Harvey
old tech
old tech

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:17 pm
Check this out. I don't know if it will help or not.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mx870+driver+linux&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a
LinuXFroG
LinuXFroG
http://froggyslinks.com/index.php

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:33 pm
After trying the Karmic release I decided to try the Lucid edition.

In Lucid, we have oem login and after creating the new user, I get lose all PhoenixOS theme and settings and given the default Trinity deskop and settings. So am forced to use oem to keep all the settings and appz.
Bob3
Bob3

New PhoenixOS BlackHawk Lucid RC1 - Page 2 Empty ongoing lucid mischief ...

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:36 am
I should have really been keeping notes on what all I did, but there is still off & on issues with recognizing & working with USB thumbdrives & ide HDs on USB adapters but it's starting to behave a *little* better.
Haven't seen the "purple chocolate" desktop color again, thank goodness. Rolling Eyes

Printing over the [windoze] network originally started with no issues, then crapped out unexpectedly, and now after the latest round of updates & tweaks, has started working again.
I had initially attributed the print problem to a messed up windoze install on the printer's host machine (rampant firewall) but cranking around on that just produced headaches with no usable effects. Suspect

where's my dang notebook, I gotta start keeping track of what the heck I've been doing... drunken
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum