New Upload

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Upload

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:54 pm

I am currently re-uploading the iso; 4 more hours to go. Hopefully this one works!
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Iso doesn't boot

Post  Ray on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:13 am

Assuming that the upload was completed, I downloaded the latest iso (1452122KB as against the original 1452141KB), burnt to disk and attempted to boot. The following were the error messages:

Unknown keyword in configuration file

Enter or Live at the boot prompt generated the message "Could not find kernel image"

So I'd suggest holding off on downloading at this point in time.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Deffi on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 am

I have downloaded a number of times this morning. All seems well until I try to burn and I get that an invalid file size. I have investigated and find that the file size is slightly less than the 1.4 GB. Different each time. I am trying one last time.

David

I have posted this also in tester thread. If no luck this time I will hold off.


Last edited by Deffi on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Deffi

Posts : 106
Points : 126
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 76
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  hqlinux on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 am

Ray wrote:Assuming that the upload was completed, I downloaded the latest iso (1452122KB as against the original 1452141KB), burnt to disk and attempted to boot. The following were the error messages:

Unknown keyword in configuration file

Enter or Live at the boot prompt generated the message "Could not find kernel image"

So I'd suggest holding off on downloading at this point in time.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)

Thanks Ray for the heads up...

I'll wait for the next upload, I don't need anymore coasters...WinkVery Happy

LOL

Harvey
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  hqlinux on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:10 am

Admin wrote:I am currently re-uploading the iso; 4 more hours to go. Hopefully this one works!

4+ hours to upload???

Harvey
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Deffi on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:44 am

Download file is 1.4869.... GB whereas the burn is shown as 1.417 GB this final time and the write verify would not proceed. I tried to boot disc as write was reported successful. Would not boot.

I will become patient again - remember 'more haste less speed'

David
avatar
Deffi

Posts : 106
Points : 126
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 76
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  S3Indiana on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:37 am

I think something is NQR; because, only 120 MB are currently downloading. Recommend wait and see...
avatar
S3Indiana
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 66
Points : 67
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 56
Location : Sorrento Hills, San Diego, Ca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Oponium1 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:52 am

lol

Oponium1
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Deffi on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:08 am

S3 writes 'I think something is NQR; because, only 120 MB are currently downloading. Recommend wait and see...'

Yes I agree. I have tried several downloads which have varied between 20 MB and 1.4 GB but none of them were complete. On the larger ones I got the message 'incompatible file size' except for the last but that would not write verify and boot.

I will await Ray (thorpe)

David
avatar
Deffi

Posts : 106
Points : 126
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 76
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:57 am

Deffi wrote:S3 writes 'I think something is NQR; because, only 120 MB are currently downloading. Recommend wait and see...'

Yes I agree. I have tried several downloads which have varied between 20 MB and 1.4 GB but none of them were complete. On the larger ones I got the message 'incompatible file size' except for the last but that would not write verify and boot.

I will await Ray (thorpe)

David

The only thing different about this upload compared to older releases is Im now using filezilla instead of gftp. I'll go back to gftp, cuz I never had any problems when I was using gftp. This is the 3rd time I uploaded this iso! Takes a long time to upload.

Ray
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 720
Points : 2642
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://phoenixos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Deffi on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:03 pm

I will look again tomorrow morning early my time. The download takes about an hour in the morning. When the kids are out of school the download takes hours. The first attempt during an evening showed about 8 hours. Today the download rate was over 300 KB/s whereas in the evening it will be a tenth of that.

I am like S3, if he still has his habit of rising early and the net is relatively quiet. I am most definitely a lark not an owl.

I have the older version of FlameHawk working well so I can wait.

David
avatar
Deffi

Posts : 106
Points : 126
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 76
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  hqlinux on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:40 pm

Admin wrote:This is the 3rd time I uploaded this iso! Takes a long time to upload.

Ray

Why is that Ray??? Don't you have broadband or at least access to it??? My cable provider (Cox) uploads at over 1.something MB/sec, and downloads are even faster. Perhaps you may wish to take your iso to someone nearby who has faster access.

Just a thought.

Harvey
avatar
hqlinux
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 259
Points : 14558
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29
Location : Arizona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Ray on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Admin wrote:

The only thing different about this upload compared to older releases is Im now using filezilla instead of gftp. I'll go back to gftp, cuz I never had any problems when I was using gftp. This is the 3rd time I uploaded this iso! Takes a long time to upload.

Ray
Ray,

Can you use PGTIPS post to create the zsync file for the new iso and add a link to it for us. Having downloaded 2.8GB so far I'd rather download just a few megs instead of the whole iso.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Ray wrote:
Admin wrote:

The only thing different about this upload compared to older releases is Im now using filezilla instead of gftp. I'll go back to gftp, cuz I never had any problems when I was using gftp. This is the 3rd time I uploaded this iso! Takes a long time to upload.

Ray
Ray,

Can you use PGTIPS post to create the zsync file for the new iso and add a link to it for us. Having downloaded 2.8GB so far I'd rather download just a few megs instead of the whole iso.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)

Hi Ray [NZ], I really feel for Ray with his personal problems and general pressures of life. I have my share of them too. I do hope that he can find the time and incentive in the midst of everything to create and post the zsync file, too, as I am sure it will help through the difficulties everyone is having with this download. I wish I could do more from my end but can't.

Currently I have been cut back to dial-up speeds by my ISP and will remain there until I change ISP - there, I've set that in motion - soon I will have unlimited downloads at a fixed cost, with some 'speed management' at peak times as a trade-off. 40 GB just wasn't enough for my household!

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Ray on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:32 pm

PGTips91 wrote:
Ray wrote:
Admin wrote:

The only thing different about this upload compared to older releases is Im now using filezilla instead of gftp. I'll go back to gftp, cuz I never had any problems when I was using gftp. This is the 3rd time I uploaded this iso! Takes a long time to upload.

Ray
Ray,

Can you use PGTIPS post to create the zsync file for the new iso and add a link to it for us. Having downloaded 2.8GB so far I'd rather download just a few megs instead of the whole iso.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)

Hi Ray [NZ], I really feel for Ray with his personal problems and general pressures of life. I have my share of them too. I do hope that he can find the time and incentive in the midst of everything to create and post the zsync file, too, as I am sure it will help through the difficulties everyone is having with this download. I wish I could do more from my end but can't.

Currently I have been cut back to dial-up speeds by my ISP and will remain there until I change ISP - there, I've set that in motion - soon I will have unlimited downloads at a fixed cost, with some 'speed management' at peak times as a trade-off. 40 GB just wasn't enough for my household!

Paul
Paul,

I downloaded the new iso specifically so that I could create the zsync file and put it up onto my own website for people to use if they wanted too. Unfortunately since it was a bad download that put paid to that.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Ray wrote:
Paul,

I downloaded the new iso specifically so that I could create the zsync file and put it up onto my own website for people to use if they wanted too. Unfortunately since it was a bad download that put paid to that.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)

Hi Ray,

Yes, that is the stumbling block with zsync I'm afraid, you have to have a good copy of the ISO before you can make the .zsync file from it. I have made a few .zsync files available on my Wiki site at PBWorks.com
http://pgtips91.pbworks.com/Files-for-zsync-downloads-posted-here. They are typically about 0.2% the size of the ISO file so can be sent as an attachment to an email even.

I'm still hoping that Ray [Admin] is able to post the .zsync file, once he has verified the upload, so others can make use of it if they choose. Once I get my new broadband service, due this Friday now, I won't have to worry about downloading any number of ISO files, but I still think that the zsync method has merit and will still advocate for its use. I actually get quite a kick out of updating an ISO that way and watching zsync do its magic, it really is an incredible method. If only someone could write a GUI wrapper for it ...

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Ray on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 pm

PGTips91 wrote:
Ray wrote:
Paul,

I downloaded the new iso specifically so that I could create the zsync file and put it up onto my own website for people to use if they wanted too. Unfortunately since it was a bad download that put paid to that.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)

Hi Ray,

Yes, that is the stumbling block with zsync I'm afraid, you have to have a good copy of the ISO before you can make the .zsync file from it. I have made a few .zsync files available on my Wiki site at PBWorks.com
http://pgtips91.pbworks.com/Files-for-zsync-downloads-posted-here. They are typically about 0.2% the size of the ISO file so can be sent as an attachment to an email even.

I'm still hoping that Ray [Admin] is able to post the .zsync file, once he has verified the upload, so others can make use of it if they choose. Once I get my new broadband service, due this Friday now, I won't have to worry about downloading any number of ISO files, but I still think that the zsync method has merit and will still advocate for its use. I actually get quite a kick out of updating an ISO that way and watching zsync do its magic, it really is an incredible method. If only someone could write a GUI wrapper for it ...

Paul
Paul,

Looks like I lost my previous reply so I'll repost. I can't understand why there seems such a lack of interest in zsync, it's almost as if people are ignoring it because they didn't think of it.

Many moons ago I'd thought about writing a wrapper for it but as I recall someone on the Klikit forums said they were going to do it so I forgot all about it. Obviously nothing eventuated from that. Perhaps I'll put my brain (or what's left of it) to work and see whether I can come up with something.

What isp are you going to?? I changed to Telecom about 8 months ago, they were the only Telco doing ADSL2, don't know whether that's changed or not, but my download speeds went from a measly 100 - 140KBs to my current speed, between 1 and 1.6MBs. Took me 15 minutes to download the iso. I use a 10GB plan which I can change once a month if I start to exceed my 10GB allowance, i.e can go from 10GB to 20GB for an extra $10. Change allowed once per month, so I can revert to the 10GB the following momth if it looks like a low download month.

Ray
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:36 pm

Ray wrote:
Paul,

Looks like I lost my previous reply so I'll repost. I can't understand why there seems such a lack of interest in zsync, it's almost as if people are ignoring it because they didn't think of it.

Many moons ago I'd thought about writing a wrapper for it but as I recall someone on the Klikit forums said they were going to do it so I forgot all about it. Obviously nothing eventuated from that. Perhaps I'll put my brain (or what's left of it) to work and see whether I can come up with something.

What isp are you going to?? I changed to Telecom about 8 months ago, they were the only Telco doing ADSL2, don't know whether that's changed or not, but my download speeds went from a measly 100 - 140KBs to my current speed, between 1 and 1.6MBs. Took me 15 minutes to download the iso. I use a 10GB plan which I can change once a month if I start to exceed my 10GB allowance, i.e can go from 10GB to 20GB for an extra $10. Change allowed once per month, so I can revert to the 10GB the following momth if it looks like a low download month.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I wish that I had enough brain power left to do the programming, it wouldn't be complicated to do, I think.

I decided, in the end, to go with Telecom. After being on the Vodafone network no one else could supply a service unless I went back onto the Telecom network first. I was just as hacked off with TelstraClear and Telecom had the cheapest and best deal on offer any way, so I'm back with them from Friday. Phoneline and unlimited data on broadband for $104.75, which seeing we were hitting 40 GB by mid-month with Vodafone should help! It's about $20 cheaper, too. Let's see how they perform with speed, now.

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Download

Post  w8vfp on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:35 am

I have downloaded the ISO several times and burned it twice. What I get when I boot from the DVD is that it tells me that there is an unkown keyword in the configuration file and below it, it has Boot: The check was 9840158293e22d936b4d13073fd8fea0. Each time I have down loaded it the check has been different or the download was small. The down load takes about an hour. Dave

w8vfp

Posts : 20
Points : 26
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-02-04
Age : 73
Location : Kingsville, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Deffi on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:31 am

w8vfp writes "I have downloaded the ISO several times and burned it twice. What I get when I boot from the DVD is that it tells me that there is an unkown keyword in the configuration file and below it, it has Boot: The check was 9840158293e22d936b4d13073fd8fea0. Each time I have down loaded it the check has been different or the download was small. The down load takes about an hour. Dave"

This same checksum I get- The iso file is 1.486972888 GB download and 1.417 burned to disc. These figures are consistent across several downloads and I get similar messages if I try to boot.

David


Last edited by Deffi on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Deffi

Posts : 106
Points : 126
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 76
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  S3Indiana on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:22 am

w8vfp wrote:I have downloaded the ISO several times and burned it twice.
The check was 9840158293e22d936b4d13073fd8fea0.
I get the same checksum (and size noted previously), which is different than the MD5 provided from the PhoenixOS Flamehawk Release .iso:
922048f3d192eea48988634470c02c05 phoenixos030410.iso
avatar
S3Indiana
Linspire Insider
Linspire Insider

Posts : 66
Points : 67
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 56
Location : Sorrento Hills, San Diego, Ca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:05 pm

S3Indiana wrote:
w8vfp wrote:I have downloaded the ISO several times and burned it twice.
The check was 9840158293e22d936b4d13073fd8fea0.
I get the same checksum (and size noted previously), which is different than the MD5 provided from the PhoenixOS Flamehawk Release .iso:
922048f3d192eea48988634470c02c05 phoenixos030410.iso

The problem seems to be with the upload process from Ray [Admin] to the server.

Here's a wacky idea but it might work. Since both files are now known, why not do a 'diff' between them so one can be changed to the other? Does anyone know how to do that?

Paul

PS It appears that the tool to be used is rdiff-backup which creates a diff file that can be used to restore an earlier version of a file, hence if the correct version is backed up to the incorrect version, the diff file created should allow reverting from the incorrect to the correct file. Make sense? I'm experimenting ...

http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/features.html


Last edited by PGTips91 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added information about rdiff-backup)
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Recovering from a bad upload of an ISO file

Post  PGTips91 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Here is my work-around to avoid having to repeatedly upload an ISO file if it is getting corrupted during the process, somehow, or after this has happened to allow users to re-use their failed downloads.

http://pgtips91.pbworks.com/Recovering+from+a+bad+up-load+of+an+ISO+file

Comments, corrections, suggestions welcome.

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Ray on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:06 pm

PGTips91 wrote:Here is my work-around to avoid having to repeatedly upload an ISO file if it is getting corrupted during the process, somehow, or after this has happened to allow users to re-use their failed downloads.

http://pgtips91.pbworks.com/Recovering+from+a+bad+up-load+of+an+ISO+file

Comments, corrections, suggestions welcome.

Paul
Still trying to work that out Paul. Guess I'll need to read up on the rdiff process before I understand.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)
avatar
Ray

Posts : 169
Points : 189
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  PGTips91 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Ray wrote:
Still trying to work that out Paul. Guess I'll need to read up on the rdiff process before I understand.

Ray (the other Ray from NZ)

It is like most CLI stuff, rather complex. It's well documented though at http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/index.html

Unfortunately the only person who can do anything at this stage is Ray [Admin]. We'll just have to wait until he finds the time to upload a valid file.

Now, if his server was running on Linux he could do an rdiff-backup with the valid file and just update the current, corrupted file with only the small amount of data needed.

Paul
avatar
PGTips91

Posts : 71
Points : 75
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-28
Age : 76
Location : Auckland, New Zealand

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/paulgtaylor91

Back to top Go down

Re: New Upload

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum